2024-04-29, 17:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mad Cow Disease (It's herrreeeeee....)  (Read 12922 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2003-12-24, 18:43 »

The first confirmed case of Mad Cow Disease has been found at a Washington farm.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3795664/

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/24/mad.cow/index.html

Scary. =(
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-24, 18:54 »

Yes, now we will have to burn all our cows and see everyone bar their borders to US meat.
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-24, 20:22 »

No need to panic yet.  Just wait until they check up on the history of the cow.  It's a noncommmunicable disease.  Besides, Holstein is a dairy cow.  We don't normally eat dairy cows.  No worries.
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-25, 00:56 »

Yeah DW, also, we rarely eat the parts that are known for being an infectious part.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-25, 09:04 »

To quote a comedian whose name eludes me at the moment, "Who @#$@ed up the meat?!?!"  I'm sure it'll pass and no serious harm will be done.

dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #5 on: 2003-12-25, 16:42 »

Japan, Mexico, and others have already put a temporary ban on our beef.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-12-26, 07:18 »

I'm sure the beef won't be in any real danger from an isolated incident like this.  The problem is that if it were to spread the US has a deer population that is far too dense, and it can spread from cow to deer and to cow again.  This is why anti-hunting == bad.  too many prey animals encourages the spread of disease.  Oh well, not transmittable to birds so it's no feathers off my tail.  I do feel bad for the animals though.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #7 on: 2003-12-26, 14:56 »

Quote from: Phoenix
<font color=#FFFF00>I'm sure the beef won't be in any real danger from an isolated incident like this.
Well, the question is how isolated is it?  How did this cow contract the disease in the first place?  Wqas it thru animal feed? That's the real danger.  If anything, this should be a shot in the arm for organic beef.
Upside for consumers is that  beef should be getting pretty cheap here as all the exports dry up.
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #8 on: 2003-12-26, 18:18 »

LOL!  I was actually thinking the price of beef should fall soon.  I'm glad for that, I love beef but it was faaaaaaaar to expensive, thanks to Atkins.  And a ban because of one cow?  Those people are being way too paranoid.  We don't eat the nervous tissue, which is where the most infectious portions are.  AND...in the entire history of Bovine Spongioform Encephalopathy there has only been roughly 60 cases of humans getting it.  Think, millions of cows...60 people.  The chances of anyone coming down with this over here from ONE bloody HOLSTEIN is practically nil.
Arno

Cacodemon

« Reply #9 on: 2003-12-26, 20:12 »

Uhm... DW... I think you're forgetting one tiny detail. You're right, the disease is hardly dangerous for humans. But it's lethal for cows. Farmers don't want a lethal disease descimating their cattle. That's why they have to rigidly quarantaine this case, before it becomes uncontrolable.
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #10 on: 2003-12-26, 23:08 »

*Rolls eyes*  Trust me...I know more about BSE than you'd want to know.  We've studied it quite thoroughly.  Aye, it is deadly to cows.  But the route of infection is not common.  It is not a communicable disease.  Just housing normal cows and BSE infected cows together isn't going to cause the spread of it.  I think it's just a "new disease" scare.  ONE cow...don't worry about it.  Worry more about West Nile.  That's something worth worrying about.  And it's still not that bad.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #11 on: 2003-12-26, 23:24 »

Ah it's still the vector you worry about

Anyway, it's not the disease itself you worry about but the puiblic conception.
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #12 on: 2003-12-27, 19:08 »

Well on that we can agree.  The human populace is going to ape over Mad Cows now and get all freaked out over it.  Fall, beef prices, fall!  Mwahahahaha.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2003-12-28, 01:10 »

To add to the frenzy, I heard just today in a news report that the cow was actually imported from Canada TO the US a few years ago.  They're running tests on calves in both countries that are supposedly from this cow.  I suppose the US will start banning imported beef now too?  I have a novel idea, why doesn't everyone just GROW THEIR OWN FOOD?!?  Maybe then imported illnesses will be a non-issue?   Oh wait, I forgot, that's so 19th century.  Corporate greed and consumerism doesn't allow for that.  Begging your pardon then.  Slipgate - Roll Eyes

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2003-12-28, 04:29 »

/me eats a burger without pissing himself with fear
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #15 on: 2003-12-28, 06:34 »

Good show, Woods.  And I'm not surprised the cow came from Canada.  Canada has had a few cases of BSE...which, surprisingly enough, can be traced back to the UK.  All the cases of BSE from around the world either come from cows imported from the UK or by the meat and bone meal before the ban.  

No need to panic, folks.  If the cow's only been in the country for a few years...means the cow can only have had 2 or 3 calves.  Transmission between dam and offspring is not very well documented at all.  But...if you really want to assume the calves are indeed infected, it won't be hard to get them and destroy them.  Only the 2 and 3 year old calves would be old enough now for breeding, so you are looking at maybe 2 other calves.  Making a total of 6 cows to destroy.  Big whoop.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2003-12-28, 10:33 »

"Destroy"... makes them sound too much like a "thing".  How about we call it what it is:  killing.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #17 on: 2003-12-28, 15:45 »

i guess pho hooked up with the P.E.T.A crowd
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #18 on: 2003-12-28, 18:09 »

Not just kill, Pho.  You'd still have the carcass.  Destroy not only means killing the cows, but completely getting rid of their bodies so that chance of other cows getting into them is nil.
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #19 on: 2003-12-28, 18:28 »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...n_re_us/mad_cow

Just thought I'd bring this to the board. *shrug* Regardless, I'm still going to eat beef. wewt fer steak ! MMMMMM ! =P

Honestly, I'm not all that worried about it. When it starts hitting here in Nebraska, then it _might_ make me look twice just for the sheer amount of cows we've got here, but I'll still go home and eat my hamburgers. Hehe.

I love how they write this article. It almost has panic written all over it, but at the same time, it doesn't. Ok, just ignore me, I'm not feeling too well. Hehe. =P

GAME ON !
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: