2024-04-23, 21:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pentagon Preps for Space War  (Read 8635 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-02-20, 22:38 »

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,128...2,62358,00.html

Scary shit. Slipgate - Smile
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-02-21, 02:31 »

They just spent $400 billion for a new medicare drug bill that will, of course, multiply its cost by a factor of 10 in the next 5 years (as with any entitlement program).  Add to that the cost of the current war efforts, and typical government spending (which never goes down, btw).  Who's going to shoulder the tax burden for all this?

I'm all for defense, but I think this is a bit extreme.  The US has already proven that nobody can touch its military in a conventional land war, and as far as nuclear capabilities nobody would want to.  It looks to me like this is just chest beating.  "Let's make sure we have the biggest guns on the block, even if we don't need them".  It would seem more logical to me to harden satelites against attack with better EM shielding instead of putting satelite-based weapons in orbit.  Besides, there's a better chance of an X-ray burst from the sun knocking out satelites than any weapons system.  You could lose every satelite in the sky if the sun kicked something stronger than an X-20 class flare directly at earth.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-02-21, 02:34 »

Yeah. Government spending is insane right now. Too much money on the wrong things, not enough on the important things.

Drop this money on the schools instead. Jeez.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-02-21, 04:40 »

Maybe help to start paying off the debt, or investing in technologies that will reduce the need for drilling for oil?  I seem to remember a biodigester being featured in Discover that could recycle just about anything.  You could make light crude from any kind of biomatter.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-21, 04:40 by Phoenix » Logged

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-02-21, 08:40 »

heh ok this is a bit...insane.. yepp they could put all that money on something better...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #5 on: 2004-02-21, 23:14 »

When did it begin that Republicans started spending more money than Democrats?
I'm no fiscal conservative, but there is a time and a place for those guys and for the US that time would be now

If only John McCain didn't get cancer... >_<
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-02-21, 23:44 »

A lot of conservatives have been furious at the current administration for this spending spree.  They're behind the president for taking on the terrorists, but on the domestic side you'd think Democrats were running the show.  Personally I think the world has just gone nuts.

Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #7 on: 2004-02-22, 00:49 »

heres how i think it works: govt spends all it money on foriegn policy, starts cutting education budgets(at least, thats whats been happening here in new york cause the govt gave that 'great' tax cut that gave my family a whole 600 dollars!!(we spend that in 2 months on groceries alone.. 6 person family n whatnot) ... so less education.. more stupid mindless people to follow the govt, and pretty soon theres noone to contest the governement anyways cause none of em are smart enough...   or something like that.. im rambling again.. i know it..
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #8 on: 2004-02-22, 00:57 »

See but its what they spend it on that angers me, if you have democrats overspending they overspend on welfare system, when you have Republicans overspending its funneling money into the industrial military complex.

So you end up with the cycle that Hedhunta so accurately describes
so less education.. more stupid mindless people to follow the govt, and pretty soon theres noone to contest the governement anyways cause none of em are smart enough...

And then comes the gun control and the orwellian thought police

Yet even now Liberitarians are seen as a fringe group in American Politics, how sad
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-02-22, 06:45 »

Well, the problem with funneling money into education is that it doesn't DO anything.  Social promotion takes precedent over performance.  People come out of public education in the USA with the worst education in the free world.  Higher standards for the students, and accountability for the teachers (and morso the administrators) would go a lot further in that area than just throwing money at the problem.  The Teachers Union is a very powerful lobby, and unfortunately in the quest to better the salaries of the teachers (and said administrators) it's the students who end up paying the most.  Americans aren't born stupid.  The system is failing and it needs a change, or I fear Devlar's predicted outcome will eventually come to pass.

Devlar

Makron

« Reply #10 on: 2004-02-22, 08:27 »

I think you could start education reform by not punishing truency, if you don't want to be there, don't be there, drop out, clean toilets for the rest of your life stop ruining it for the rest of the people.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-02-23, 05:13 »

Well, even that takes SOME brains.  If you can't read then you don't know that mixing amonia and bleach makes a deadly poison gas - NOT an extra-super effective cleaner.

Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #12 on: 2004-02-23, 07:40 »

But hey, it weeds out the obvious contenders from the gene pool...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #13 on: 2004-02-23, 20:06 »

agreed
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #14 on: 2004-02-24, 16:04 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Well, even that takes SOME brains.  If you can't read then you don't know that mixing amonia and bleach makes a deadly poison gas - NOT an extra-super effective cleaner.
you know with all the media coverage that schools shootings and such get.. its surprising that none of them have used this option..  wait, oh thats cause they were stupid to begin with
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #15 on: 2004-02-24, 19:09 »

Empirical Evidence that anger blinds
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2004-02-25, 03:55 »

Besides, guns are more violent and scary.  Nobody likes to punish with impunity these days, they all want to go out in a blaze of glory.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: