2024-04-18, 09:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Passion of the Christ? (eh)  (Read 17105 times)
magfrump

« Reply #20 on: 2004-02-28, 02:00 »

this being my first post, I'm going to try and make it good.

I personally will see the movie when it comes out on VHS.  Partly because I'm cheap, and partly because I don't want to support its box-office performance.

I'd love to see something really meaningful that helps explain why Christianity seems irrational at times.  I acknowledge that, being a religion, it's based on faith, not rationality, but I'd generally rather have faith in something verifiable than something ... not verifiable.
I see the bible as a work of fiction; maybe not directly fiction, but it has been translated so many times via so many different languages, I don't see how it could be taken literally.
I haven't read the bible (though it is on my to do list) and am not a Christian, so the body of my knowledge about Christianity, or any religion, is from my dad being a philosophy major.

despite being fanatically unreligious, I do believe that Christ died for our sins.  And thus I believe the only real way to quicken the Second Coming (or Third, as I like to include the Buddha) is to sin as much as possible so that someone new needs to come and die.

despite being raised in an environment slightly hostile to Christianity, I think my major argument is the same as my father's:  If there is an all-powerful, omniscient God, why would he not show that he exists, and then punish you for eternity for not believing in him?  and if that's the case, I'd rather not believe in him just to spite him.

I know I'm oversimplifying things, but that seems to be how Christianity is presented to people who aren't that ready to investigate.
Really, I hope to better understand the point of view of Christianity by seeing the movie, but I'm still not seeing it until it comes out on VHS.

and I agree with Devlar: religion is politics.  At least for people who aren't religious.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #21 on: 2004-02-28, 04:27 »

After just seeing the movie, I came out with really two things:

1 - sporking wow

2 - Mr. Gibson, everyone else involved in the making of this movie.. Thank You..

I would honestly suggest this movie, especially to people who hate religion.
I'm not talking about converting people here, but everything Jesus stood for is at the heart of every humanitarian belief.

The guy preached love of humanity, and was crucified for it. And even then, as they're hanging him on the cross he prays for the very people who did this to him.

Even if you're not christian, watch it with an open mind. The conviction in the man is staggering. Place yourself in his shoes.

After watching the movie, do you think there is ANYTHING you could stand for while taking that kind of abuse? THAT is the power of the man's love of humanity. THAT is the strength of character that is needed to truly help people. To pray for the people who betrayed him, tortured him, and hung him out to die. Forgiveness is one thing, but to wish for the prosperity of those who have wronged you... I don't think anyone here can honestly say they could do it.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #22 on: 2004-02-28, 13:53 »

damman , I saw part of it , I loved the part with the women dressed up like men to go trowing stones at a guy .
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #23 on: 2004-02-29, 02:10 »

Having actually seen the movie now, I can offer up my full unabridged thoughts on the movie...

Wow.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #24 on: 2004-02-29, 08:45 »

I went to see it today, I think it got too much hype, too much contraversy
The cinematography was grand, but honestly the movie wasn't really structured around the point of jesus (the message) as much as showing the brutal way he was put down

So for me i think it was too much fluff not enough real content
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2004-02-29, 08:48 »

Quote from: Devlar

The cinematography was grand, but honestly the movie wasn't really structured around the point of jesus (the message) as much as showing the brutal way he was put downnt
That was the entire POINT of the movie.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-29, 08:49 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Apocrypha

Ogre

« Reply #26 on: 2004-02-29, 09:23 »

Quote from: Angst
I would honestly suggest this movie, especially to people who hate religion.
I'm not talking about converting people here, but everything Jesus stood for is at the heart of every humanitarian belief....
I cannot say that I hate religion, for I am technically a theist myself, but to that I can only offer another quote, which is something I've always stood by:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so  unlike your Christ."  -Mahatma Gandhi
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2004-02-29, 09:28 »

Speaking as a Christian myself, I must agree that many who wear the label need to be more like the one whom it's named for.  Hypocricy and apostacy is a very real problem.  That is why I credit Mr. Gibson for making this movie.  Maybe some of these will learn something from it.  Maybe it will change some hearts.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #28 on: 2004-02-29, 22:37 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs

The cinematography was grand, but honestly the movie wasn't really structured around the point of jesus (the message) as much as showing the brutal way he was put downnt
That was the entire POINT of the movie.
In that case the movie had a usefulness rivaling Kill Bill, since it was violence for the sake of violence
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #29 on: 2004-02-29, 23:05 »

Honestly, who thought Braveheart was anti-British?
Braveheart was anti-english

The Scotts and my people, the Welsh have fougt the english for 100's of years. I know this is off topic, but is important to us non-English Brits
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #30 on: 2004-02-29, 23:19 »

In that case the movie had a usefulness rivaling Kill Bill, since it was violence for the sake of violence
Do you even know what a "Passion" play is?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=passion
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #31 on: 2004-03-01, 04:51 »

Yeah its the moment from the Last Supper to the Crusifixtion

Doesn't matter though, you could still take the movie in such a way that it portrays the death of Christ as meaningful and with purpose. I honestly did not think this movie did that. It embraced the violence aspect far more than it imbraced the purpose of the violence which was the redemption of mankind
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2004-03-01, 06:39 »

Just because one person doesn't find meaning from the film does not mean that others will not.  I don't believe the film was meant to encompass a message other than the suffering Jesus endured and to really bring that home.  It is not glorifying violence as you put it.  It is glorifying the one who endured it.  As to why he went through it all you have to do is read John 3:16 or watch any of the other movies made about Jesus.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #33 on: 2004-03-01, 06:52 »

if you really think there was no message in the brutality then you must have been taking a whiz when jesus said "forgive them father they know not what they do" when he was being nailed down.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #34 on: 2004-03-01, 08:31 »

I guess it just didn't do it for me

I've read the book quite a few times in my non-atheistic days, and I really felt the whole point of Jesus' suffering was rather lost in this movie

Oh I should probably clarify that from my perspective the point of Jesus is not that he died for our sin or any of that other stuff i consider vague and possibly fictious but the whole sermon on the mount and the philosophy of forgiveness for your enemy even in death
« Last Edit: 2004-03-01, 16:06 by Devlar » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #35 on: 2004-03-01, 23:46 »

Well, even from that example, look at how hard it was for early Christians.  Look at the persecution they suffered under the Romans for 300 years.  I'd say his suffering set a very good example for them.  If you have any doubt of that, look at how wide spread Christianity is today.  Even if you don't believe Christ is the Son of God, look at what he endured, and yet he still could forgive those who did it to him.  Can you do that?  Can any of us?  Look at the troubles in your own life, then look at the suffering he endured.  It kind of makes you stop and think "hey, it's not really that bad.  If he could stick it out through all that, then I can get through this."  The world NEEDS that kind of example, and that kind of strength of character right now.
« Last Edit: 2004-03-01, 23:46 by Phoenix » Logged

Devlar

Makron

« Reply #36 on: 2004-03-02, 21:58 »

Can I do that, Forgive my enemies? Hell no, which is exactly why I have admiration for the man. Anyone who can do something I cannot gets my respect.

As for how Christianity stuck around all those years is a different issue, institutions perpetuate themselves. Also what happened in the 4th century BC with the standardization of the bible was largely part of that, and as far as I'm concerned removed quite a few good lessons, but lessons that challanged the established institutional norms
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #37 on: 2004-03-03, 08:08 »

Institutions can only perpetuate themselves if they have one or more of the following:

1) Brute force/military might
2) Abundant wealth
3) Mass popularity
4) Extremely devoted followers

We're talking about early, very very very early Christianity, before the Church became all-powerful across Europe, and people were worshiping in secret in catacombs for fear of being tortured and killed by Roman soldiers.  1, 2, and 3 were out at the time.  That leaves option 4.  After seeing this film I do hope people can understand why.

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #38 on: 2004-03-03, 14:49 »

http://www.hoosiergazette.com/News/news022.htm

hehe....  Slipgate - Tongue
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2004-03-04, 01:52 »

"Don't tempt me, Frodo!"

*grumbles*  :unsure:

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: