2024-04-26, 19:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Sexually Active? Be careful...  (Read 19290 times)
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #20 on: 2004-02-26, 07:39 »

It's not disco if the balls don't touch.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #21 on: 2004-02-26, 07:47 »

Condoms were mentioned (one sentence) at my 45-minute sex ed class in 5th grade, at my school in Oklahoma.

See here there is a federal requirement that you take a half year "health course" in high school as well as 2 weeks a year for every year of grade school for sexual education. It boggles the mind how an industrialized country can do abstinance orientated sexual education.

Phoenix I can understand the idea of the devaluation of virginity as a virtue, but lets face it we exist in a world without the capability of killing peer pressure, and you have to deal with the issue in the circumstances in which you face them. So to a great degree I agree with your cynicim on the topic, but abstince only education is part of the problem not the solution.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2004-02-26, 07:59 »

I think self-control is the solution.  This society is based on instant gratification and fulfillment of wants.  That needs to change.  Writing off abstinance-only education to me sounds like the lazy man's approach.  "It won't work so let's not try it".  To my knowledge there IS no such thing in US public schools.  That is why, as you say, it "does not work."  It can't work if nobody is teaching it. Idiot

As for dealing with peer pressure, how about teaching kids to not cave in to it?  It takes inner strength to be the one against the many.  Standing up for yourself and being different makes you stronger than those who just go with the herd.  I find it ironic that in a culture that prizes individualism most people just end up copying everyone else.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #23 on: 2004-02-26, 08:37 »

So you mean there is no sexual education of any kind in some areas?

Even if, abstiance-only is still narrowing the views and knowledge of young people.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2004-02-26, 08:43 »

Pho: While school-taught abstinance only sex education is definately the better choice in theory, there's no way for it to PRACTICALLY work without altering our entire culture.

Sex is far too prominent in EVERYTHING, from music to TV to literature. Our culture treats sex as a casual thing. It would take a concerted effort by our schools, our media, and our parents to reverse this, and that won't happen.

I was taught that abstinence was best, but when I chose otherwise, protection was pushed just as hard.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #25 on: 2004-02-26, 15:49 »

Quote from: l4mby
1st of all, abstinence worked for me. I mean, come on, have you seen some of the guys here in Nebraska ?!
Hey!
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2004-02-26, 17:50 »

we dont need theory only , we also need practicum . Slipgate - Laugh
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #27 on: 2004-02-26, 18:34 »

I had sex-ed when I was about 16. It didn't last long, but rubbers flew all over the place and we watched a videotape of some couple in the baby-making process.

However...
According to this article nearly half of the population under age 25 will end up with some form of STD.

So, when you're out partying, and see that hot girl dancing, remember, there's a 50% chance she'll make your wang rot off.
wtf is the source on that statistic? Is it really credible? I seriously find that hard to believe.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2004-02-26, 18:37 »

Quote from: Tekhead
wtf is the source on that statistic? Is it really credible? I seriously find that hard to believe.
The reports, released jointly by Advocates for Youth -- a nonprofit group advocating for sex education, and the sexual health-oriented Alan Guttmacher Institute, pull together information from several different publications.

They include a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (news - web sites) report in the latest issue of the journal Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, and a University of North Carolina report based on interviews with teens and young adults.

So the CDC was in on this, is that credible enough?
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #29 on: 2004-02-26, 20:03 »

Quote from: dna
Quote from: l4mby
1st of all, abstinence worked for me. I mean, come on, have you seen some of the guys here in Nebraska ?!
Hey!
lol ... 1st of all I was kidding, and 2nd of all, you're taken already, so you're off limits to begin w/. =P
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #30 on: 2004-02-26, 20:18 »

I decided to research this for a little bit and stuck gold on the first swing of the pickaxe:

http://www.cdcnpin.org/scripts/News/NewsLi...TempOrLive=Live

"Young Americans Account for Nearly Half of Sexually Transmitted Diseases, New Report Says"   back to top
Associated Press, (02.24.2004)   Mark Sherman
In the first extensive national estimate of STD occurrence among young Americans, CDC researchers found that of the 18.9 million new cases of eight STDs in 2000, 9.1 million were in people ages 15-24. Human papillomavirus, trichomoniasis, and chlamydia comprised 88 percent of the new cases among 15- to 24-year-olds. The report appeared Tuesday in Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, a journal published by the non-profit Alan Guttmacher Institute. The other diseases studied were gonorrhea, syphilis, genital herpes, hepatitis B, and HIV.

So... what this tells me is that half of the new cases of STDs were opened up by people in the 15-24 year old age group, NOT that half of everyone in that age group will get an STD by the time they're 25.

Big Gun

This story is now smoked. STDs are still a scare, but seriously... if you're going to tell a story, at least get the facts and quotes which make it true "Maggie Fox".
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2004-02-26, 20:24 »

It's still scary.
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #32 on: 2004-02-26, 20:38 »

my take is that it took me a while to just find a gf.. not gonna kill me to wait to have sex.. but if it ever comes to that(life never goes as planned yknow) .. i will def be as protected as possible..
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #33 on: 2004-02-26, 20:47 »

Actually, here are more fun numbers to play with.

http://www.prb.org/AmeristatTemplate.cfm?S...&ContentID=7502

The U.S. population stood at 281,421,906 on April 1, 2000, according to the decennial census.

So in other words... *opens the calculator* ... 18.9 mil / 281.4 mil  = .06716
Thus, roughly 6.7% of the US population in the year 2000 (since afterall, 2000 is the timeframe of these facts) were infected with STDs. It's not that bad folks. Odds are that the 5 people sitting around you in class or at work or that you're hitting on are clean. Nevertheless there's nothing wrong with playing it safe, because just in case you get with that one special person, there's no going back from my understanding.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-26, 20:47 by Tekhead » Logged
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #34 on: 2004-02-27, 01:30 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
Do you even have to ask this with a theocratic administration?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #35 on: 2004-02-27, 01:52 »

Can you keep your 'everyone is out to get you' attitude out of even ONE thread?
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #36 on: 2004-02-27, 06:43 »

I remember my Jr. High science teacher Mr. Podesto. That guy was so embarrassed to talk about sex ed that he would just write it on the board and point to it when we asked what we were doing. Of course, I didn't help the situation by asking "If one wears multiple condoms, will that decrease chances of conception and/or STDs?"  Heh, the shade of red he turned everytime someone said "sex" or "penis" was unprecidented.

Beer? I'm down.
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #37 on: 2004-02-27, 06:44 »

Quote from: Devlar
Quote from: ConfusedUs
Do you even have to ask this with a theocratic administration?
Yes.

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #38 on: 2004-02-27, 07:07 »

Devlar:  You misinterpreted what I wrote.  Nowhere did I say that sex education is not being taught at all.  I said that abstinance was not being taught in the public school system.  I think that abstinance SHOULD be taught as a viable alternative to the "you're going to do it anyway so use a condom and that makes you safe" assumption that's being used as an excuse to not teach it at all.  ALL alternatives and FACTS should be presented, not just "use a condom because we know you'll do it no matter what we say."  Failure rates for condoms should be taught, as well as what a failure means IF the person has a disease.  Do you REALLY want just a thin piece of latex between you and possible death or disfigurement?  I mean, think about it.  That's what people really need to do is think more, and screw less.

Tek:  I find it interesting that the percentage of the population infected with some STD, according to your figures, roughly matches the rate of unemployment.  Still, look at raw numbers, not percentages.  That's a lot of lives screwed up by disease, and that's tragic no matter what.

Con:  I understand that culture would need changing, but remember the culture did not GET this way overnight.  It took years to go from "we don't talk about it" to "we can't avoid it anywhere".  I do not understand why everyone is assuming the process is completely unreversable, or that no happy medium can be established between the two extremes.  I may think that way, but I also have little faith in humanity.  That humans have so little faith in themselves in regards to these things is what bothers me, and why I end up thinking as I do.  I'm still not opposed to people trying though.  Why is everyone else afraid to?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #39 on: 2004-02-28, 05:50 »

Con:  No, the knowledge of the sum of human history did this to me. In a world where governments and the powerful have in the last 50 years gone out of their way to concentrate influence in their centers, technically, everyone is out to get you

Pho: Actually I was asking if it wasn't taught in some areas, not really a comment but an actual question (ahhh, my continous cyncism makes my questions sound rhetorical and sarcasic, i apologize Slipgate - Grin). Well up here they teach failure rates here, 2% for Condoms, and they even go as far as to say that its 2% failture if you use it perfectly. We even get those great picture books of people with STDs too. What they don't do is say practice abstinance or you will die a horrible death. There was one case where a woman from a certain organization (rhymes with Mhristian advocacy group) came to the class to try to scare us away from having sex by telling us that if we slept with someone, we've technically slept with every other person they've slept with they've slept with and we're all lustful whores who are going to burn in a firey eternity in hell. The woman was asked to leave and the instuctor apologized to us, but honestly that is the kind of "abstinence only" training that I know exists in some parts of the US education system. That is what I'm against. I have nothing against them saying abstinence is the only method of 100% safety but I do have a problem with them attaching the highest priority to abstinence while neglecting the rest of the sexual education, including that properly using a condom in order to essure a 2% failure rate.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-28, 05:54 by Devlar » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: