2024-04-19, 17:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Human rights? (Europe TRULY paves the way...)  (Read 9229 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2004-03-18, 07:22 »

http://www.lifenews.com/bio244.html

"Be good to the children and old people first.  Hand them a drink, they're dying of thirst" - Manowar, "Guyana and the Cult of the Damned".

Anyone for Kool-Aid?
« Last Edit: 2004-03-18, 07:23 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-03-18, 07:42 »

If ever I become so incapacitated that I am unable to care for myself. For the love of God, put me under.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tha[\]atos

Imp

« Reply #2 on: 2004-03-18, 07:52 »

ok, if im in a state where I need this kind of care if I can answer ask me if I can't and never will ever be able to answer put me under but do not starve me or dehydrate me. that is crule.(just because I can't answer doesn't mean I'm not experienceing it)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-03-18, 08:16 »

That's fine - IF it's your decision.  The problem here is that some DOCTOR can just arbitrarily decide "You're not fit to live, so it's time to die whether you like it or not."  It's not a mercy killing when it's against your will.  It's murder.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #4 on: 2004-03-18, 10:15 »

Since when did the UK ever consider itself part of Europe, they're on your side remember? or does the Coalition status only apply to the good stuff not the bad?

Granted I don't really see why anyone would want to be kept alive by a machine if they are in a vegitative state, although they should have the choice if they like. I wouldn't be overly shocked to hear outrage from a Pro-Life website
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-03-18, 14:23 »

For gods sake do not let me outlive my wits.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #6 on: 2004-03-18, 14:49 »

This is wack ass.  People have the right to choose whether they live on in a vegetative state.  Their appointed representative has the right to decide.  The doctors do not.
Living will people, get with it.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #7 on: 2004-03-18, 17:31 »

Then what would you all say about the woman in florida who had the legislature decide that she was to be kept alive when her husband said she didn't want to? I think we discussed that topic earlier here. Isn't the whole issue of this, the fact that relatives cannot decide on what the individual in question wanted? or agree for that matter, isn't that's why it goes to medical committees? How else do you plan to resolve such disputes? Blindly choose life irregardless of the patients actual wishes? That's just as bad blindly choosing death.. If any of you have a better idea on how to solve this problem, lets hear it, but I think the medical committee should be able to interview your relatives and decide what your intentions were since obviously your relatives aren't knowledgable enough to understand what you wanted.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #8 on: 2004-03-18, 19:13 »

Quote from: Devlar
If any of you have a better idea on how to solve this problem, lets hear it,
There's already a tool in place for this very situation which I already mentioned in my last post.

LIVING WILL.

It's in your best intrest to make one people.  It's legally binding and absolves your family from some tough decisions.  If that woman in Florida had one, there would not be any question as to what she would have wanted.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #9 on: 2004-03-18, 19:19 »

Such is not living, it's simply existing. Woe are the ones who cling to such mortal coils...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #10 on: 2004-03-18, 20:40 »

This is used in a situation where there is no living will and there is a dispute between family members as to what to do with you.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #11 on: 2004-03-18, 22:26 »

Then why on Earth would a medical committee be involved?  Can you imagine if an HMO was involved with that?  

Obviously she wouldn't want this very expensive life prolonging technique.  Lets pull the plug.  Uh, for her sake.  Yeah.

No, this shouldn't be decided by a committee - it's up to the family.  If they have a big legal battle over it, well, whatever.  At least you can be reasonably sure that they have the individuals best intrests in mind even if they don't agree on what it is.
But never a committee like that.  The example given in that linked article is exactly the reason why.
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #12 on: 2004-03-18, 23:00 »

Quote from: Angst
If ever I become so incapacitated that I am unable to care for myself. For the love of God, put me under.
If I'm ever like him, they should not only shut off my food supply, they should shoot me with a large-caliber pistol.

If they don't kill me, I'll do it myself, and they will NOT be able to stop me.Slipgate - Tongue
« Last Edit: 2004-03-18, 23:02 by Woolie Wool » Logged
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #13 on: 2004-03-19, 01:20 »

No, this shouldn't be decided by a committee - it's up to the family. If they have a big legal battle over it, well, whatever. At least you can be reasonably sure that they have the individuals best intrests in mind even if they don't agree on what it is.
But never a committee like that. The example given in that linked article is exactly the reason why.

So you are putting it in the hands of judges and lawyers rather than doctors? Judges and Lawyers don't have to take a hippocratic oath. As much as I am cynical about doctors going to a judge is a step down not up.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #14 on: 2004-03-19, 01:33 »

No, you're not even reading my reply.  I'm leaving it in the hands of the family and/or legal representative of said individual.  Sometimes that is determined by court.

At any rate, I don't think something like that could ever happen in America.  There are already laws to ensure that a person will receive at least stabilizing treatment regardless of ability to pay.  These laws are pretty deep and would take a massive movement to repeal.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #15 on: 2004-03-19, 07:15 »

You are correct, I misread something there, my apologies

My question is what the hell happened to the hipocratic oath in the UK?
« Last Edit: 2004-03-19, 07:17 by Devlar » Logged
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #16 on: 2004-03-19, 13:49 »

Quote from: Devlar
You are correct, I misread something there, my apologies

My question is what the hell happened to the hipocratic oath in the UK?
Hopefully, the linked example was just an aberation.  I can't believe a Doctor would do that.  Perhaps the family looked poor (not profitable)?  I'm not certain how the medical system works in the UK...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #17 on: 2004-03-19, 16:32 »

I could always find something about this at a non pro-life website, it might shed a bit more light on it. Although give me til tuesday since papers are draining
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #18 on: 2004-03-19, 16:48 »

Aparantly Michigan already has futile care
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #19 on: 2004-03-19, 17:02 »

Well, that is kinda disturbing, but hopefully if your wishes are known pre-crisis, the doctor would respect them.  Definetly something to know about before hand though - if your Doctor refuses to honor your wish to prolong your life, time for a new doctor.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: