2024-04-24, 16:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Video Games outsourced (slashdot article)  (Read 4162 times)
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« on: 2004-03-22, 16:13 »

http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/03/21/2...6&tid=98&tid=99
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-03-22, 19:32 »

It doesn't surprise me.  It's just like everything else.  Let's face it, they can sell more $35 video games than $50 ones.  The problem with this mentality though is while you can do things cheaper by shipping a job overseas eventually you won't have anyone left with enough money to buy your products back home.  Profitability will increase and the stock market will go up for a time, but more and more people will be unemployed and personal debt will soar for those who are not since their wages will never keep up with inflation which will inevitably come back.  Greenspan can't live forever, and nobody can control the inflation which will skyrocket overseas, driving up cost, once the "cheap" part of the labor supply begins to diminish.  As their countries continue to industrialize their cost of living will go up so the workers will begin demanding more pay, and the inflation spiral will begin.

Eventually two things will happen - you'll run out of exploitable cheap labor, and people in the "old rich" countries will default on their debts and go bankrupt.  Oh not all at once, and not instantly to be sure, but it will eventually grind the economic machine to a halt.  Once the bubble bursts it won't be pretty, but this absurd rate of economic growth can't be maintained forever.  In the mean time enjoy  the cheaper games I suppose. :mellow:

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #2 on: 2004-03-22, 19:41 »

[sarcasm] Ah, the beauty of Capitalism... [/sarcasm]
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2004-03-22, 19:54 »

Quote from: Phoenix
but this absurd rate of economic growth can't be maintained forever.
?? Absurd growth rate?    Where???  I want some of that!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-03-22, 20:20 »

Why, are you short? Slipgate - Wink

What I mean is the stock market going from 2,000 to 10,000 in less than a decade during the 80's - 90's, if I remember the numbers correctly, before it "corrected" itself once all the corporations that were cooking their books during the 90's got caught.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #5 on: 2004-03-22, 23:50 »

The GDP keeps increasing in the US because people have less money in savings which essencially pumps up the economy. Granted there hasn't been that much growth overall. Its been pretty weak really but higher than expected due to the rise in oil prices and that whole "iraq" thing. Any first year economics student can tell you that growth without jobs is not sustainable. By exporting the jobs overseas capitalists believe they can create secondary support positions here, obviously that has not happened. Corporate earnings are relatively high (with the exception of certain industries, but I mean generally) but those corporations are not making new jobs because they think they can sustain their largER profit margins for the time being. The thing is eventually people who can afford their products will run out of money, and no longer buy their products, at which point they either start creating new jobs or they cash out.

Globalization is destablizing, its fun to watch, not fun to live
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: