2024-05-01, 15:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cultural Names (Split from Searches Thread)  (Read 11798 times)
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« on: 2004-03-31, 18:20 »

man..this is fscking rediculous now..they might as well just take all our rights and make the damn U.S. a communist one. land of the free..more like land of indian givers..give rights..and take em. are these measures REALLY necessary? man..and we cant do SHIT about it.. The Finger
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #1 on: 2004-03-31, 18:50 »

Honestly Omega, I find your comparison to Communism to be quite short sighted. Not to mention the offensive nature of the term "Indian Giver". Though it does have a simultaneous hint of humor when one takes into account the irony of Caucasians saying such in general...

Your country ?tis of thee
Dark land of tyranny.
Where your four fathers lied
About how the Redman died...
« Last Edit: 2004-03-31, 19:09 by dev/null » Logged
Apocrypha

Ogre

« Reply #2 on: 2004-03-31, 19:12 »

Quote from: dev/null
Not to mention the offensive nature of the term "Indian Giver". Though it does have a simultaneous hint of humor when one takes into account the irony of Caucasians saying such in general...
Agreed, but what can you expect, dev? People in this country are brainwashed from childhood to hate Native Americans, through such culturaly accepted phrases, the entertainment industry, etc. Even though the number of Cowboy vs Indian movies being put out has certainly dwindled in this era, the damage is already done. That's what makes discrimination against this country's native people so effective, so very few people realize they're even doing so, because unlike blacks, or, excuse me, African Americans, they're not told that's it's bad, and that their equal no matter what color their skin is, but that they should continue to commit hate crimes anyway, but simply pretend to be appalled by such.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-03-31, 21:29 »

Besides popular-usage, "politically-correct" terminology can be just as discriminating.  Think about the term "Native American" for a moment...  Why would a group of people want to be named after those who slaughtered their brethren?

*Snip* Please see Apocrypha's post below for a link explaining the origin of the word "Indians" and how Columbus derived the term when he named the people indigenous to the land we now call America.

I have a similar beef with the term "African American."  I would not want to be named after a group of people who helped to enslave my ancestors.  Nor would I want to be referred to as "African" if I was not born in Africa.  Of course, I don't think the term "black" is any better as most "black" people are not black in color.  I honestly do not understand why humans insist on classifying things so much, but I digress...
« Last Edit: 2004-04-02, 01:15 by Phoenix » Logged

Devlar

Makron

« Reply #4 on: 2004-03-31, 23:15 »

In Canada they call them First Nations People, effectively removing that American connotation

Oh and also, Caucasian is nomenclature problem also. Since TONS of "caucasians" really have nothing to do with the people who came from the mountains. Although it is an accurate descriptor of my ethnicity
« Last Edit: 2004-03-31, 23:18 by Devlar » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-01, 15:28 »

I was not stating that I dislike the title Indian, but the term ?Indian Giver?. I personally have never found offense in Indian, but at the same time I do not like to use it because currently there is a country named India, and having two very distinct people with very different customs, who come from opposite sides of the planet given the same name is quite confusing. The same problem occurs with American Indian. It?s still a much more catchy title than Native America, but yet again, breeds confusion. What names existed then have very little influence now anyway. If we were to find extra terrestrial beings on Mars today, we?d call them Martians, not Ares?eh? ians Slipgate - Tongue

With that said, I made a comment because I despise the level of brainwashing that has gone into American culture to make them inexplicitly hate my ilk (well, half of my ilk, since the other half are Welsh). If anything, a term such as Whiteman Giver, or Christian Giver would be far more appropriate. Without getting into the legalities that my mind has worked up for such, I will simply say that Apocrypha has the right idea Slipgate - Wink
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #6 on: 2004-04-01, 16:28 »

Quote from: dev/null
Honestly Omega, I find your comparison to Communism to be quite short sighted. Not to mention the offensive nature of the term "Indian Giver". Though it does have a simultaneous hint of humor when one takes into account the irony of Caucasians saying such in general...
offensive nature? how can you insult your own kind? i was using them all in a metaphor..not in literal terms i just didnt feel like typing out my whole thought, which is people established this country saying all are created equal, but in the past, you see that that's nothing more than a promise that is broken, not necessarily the people who established it, but society itself. basically giving and taking freedom and rights like warrents. but what makes your comment about 'caucasians' no more bias than mine?  Slipgate - Ninja my arguement is..WHY THE HELL is all this crap changing to someone's own benifit..cuz of the infamous 'war on terror'?! thats stupid! manipulate the laws to persue something like that!? stopping terror is like asking for world peace..and unrealistic vision IMO..how can you ask for world peace, when the common household siblings cant even get along? stopping 'terrorists' is the same thing..we'll never be able to stop all the bad choices people make..so why is this happening?!  Slipgate - Shouting
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2004-04-01, 17:46 »

I have to say i have NEVER know ANYONE who hated native americans so lets not pretend its the greatest issue facing the world today. I lived for several years near a reservation and while i know people who dislikes blacks whites and mexicans i didnt really know anyone who had a particualr beef with native americans. Really those old john wayne movies only had so much impact. its time to move on.
 The term native american is used because the continent is called north AMERICA it has nothing at all to do with the fact that people from the united states are called americans as well.  Secondly they were pretty used to  the slaughtering of their brethren as they lived in a constant state of tribal warfare.

oh and india was called Hindustan in 1492.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-01, 18:02 by Woodsman » Logged
Apocrypha

Ogre

« Reply #8 on: 2004-04-01, 18:53 »

Quote from: Woodsman
oh and india was called Hindustan in 1492.
To bolster their erroneous superfluity, liberals say no country was called ?India? in 1492, but instead it was ?Hindustan.?  Thus error compounds.  India was never called Hindustan in Spanish, but India (or China).  A northern Aryan province of India was once called in Persian ?Hindustan,? from the Persian word hindu.  Of course, that derives from indus, the Sanskrit word for ?river.?  The great Indus (river) was well known in early English writing.  As early as 893 A.D., in his De consolatione philosophiae, Boethius ?fred uses the words India, Indus, and Indea, but not Hindustan.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadA...le.asp?ID=11380
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2004-04-01, 23:16 »

Quote from: Apocrypha

Wow, thanks for clearing that up for me Apocrypha. Thumbs up!

I hope you didn't take my earlier post as an attack upon you.  It wasn't intended as such.  I was just interested by Dev/Null's post and your own and wished to post some of my own thoughts on the matter.

Apocrypha

Ogre

« Reply #10 on: 2004-04-02, 02:40 »

Quote from: Kain-Xavier
Wow, thanks for clearing that up for me Apocrypha.

I hope you didn't take my earlier post as an attack upon you.  It wasn't intended as such...
You are quite welcome, and no I did not take it as such, after all that's what conversations are for, the free flowing exchange of ideas, thoughts and concepts, etc, from one person to another. I feel the same way you do about the terms "African American" and "Black" as well, though I have many friends who are of said race and some preffer one, some like the other, I think we're stepping on egg-shells no matter what we chose in any case, unfortunately.
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #11 on: 2004-04-03, 18:43 »

I have to say i have NEVER know ANYONE who hated native americans so lets not pretend its the greatest issue facing the world today. I lived for several years near a reservation and while i know people who dislikes blacks whites and mexicans i didnt really know anyone who had a particualr beef with native americans. Really those old john wayne movies only had so much impact. its time to move on.

Thank you woods for pointing that out, im begining to wonder where half this info is being gotten from, seriously this statement below makes 0 sense.

Agreed, but what can you expect, dev? People in this country are brainwashed from childhood to hate Native Americans, through such culturaly accepted phrases, the entertainment industry, etc. Even though the number of Cowboy vs Indian movies being put out has certainly dwindled in this era, the damage is already done. That's what makes discrimination against this country's native people so effective, so very few people realize they're even doing so, because unlike blacks, or, excuse me, African Americans, they're not told that's it's bad, and that their equal no matter what color their skin is, but that they should continue to commit hate crimes anyway, but simply pretend to be appalled by such.

I would like to see some serious validation of the above statement, considering the state I live in and the people I have known, that statement comes out looking entirely weak as if seeking an argument with little facts.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2004-04-03, 18:56 »

it was a valid argument 50 years ago
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #13 on: 2004-04-04, 03:53 »

Oh yeah, I forgot, Thanksgiving and Christopher Columbus Day was abolished fifty years ago in favor of something celebrating the great deeds of persons such as Crazyhorse, Sitting Bull, Red Cloud, etc.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-04, 03:56 by dev/null » Logged
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2004-04-04, 05:28 »

so what part of that includes kids being taught to hate native americans? and you know there is a giant statue of crazy horse being built not far from mount rushmore.

Columbus day will only be abolished in the pipe dreams of bitter leftists because like it or not he is in part responsible for the eurpean settlement of north america. (im not here to argue if that was bad or not so dont even start) secondly Italians americans have kind of latched on to it as thier own holiday.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-04, 05:54 by Woodsman » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #15 on: 2004-04-04, 07:13 »

I don?t consider myself to be a Leftist at all, so that demolishes whatever delusional point you may have had. Bitter I am though, and you?d be too if the country you lived in celebrated a man who took part in the wholesale slaughter of your ancestors. It?s not far off from Germany having a Hitler Day because he put so much forth towards the economy and work force in that country. The only difference being that Hitler was far less of a murderer.

It?s great though that the Italians want a holiday, just like the Irish and countless other ancestral heritages. They get them too, but the people who were originally here get nothing. Nope, instead we must tolerate these hate parades. There is an extreme religious and cultural bias in this country, and it only becomes even more apparent when looking at holidays which are mapped out on the calendar.

The monument in South Dakota, however, is not of Crazyhorse per say, as no one has an idea of his true appearance. It is a symbol of his message; the spirit of the Sioux and Native Americans everywhere. It goes on without government funding, which is appropriate I believe, as we do not need handouts from such social cannibals. I?m pleased you brought up Mouth Rushmore though, as that alone serves as a giant insult towards my ilk as a whole; being the destruction of Mother Earth in favor of four trite dictators, especially in the Black Hills, an area which has always been held as being highly sacred to the Sioux. What you?ve been conditioned to see as a symbol of patriotic pride, is in reality nothing more than a homage to genocide.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-04, 07:18 by dev/null » Logged
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2004-04-04, 07:38 »

please what a load of whiney crap. That would be like me being pissed at the brittish because of what Edward the first (and of course the list goes on) did to Scotland. Yet i see no mention in your posts of the brutal warfare that took place between the tribes of the americas. Lets not pretend here that its genocide your offended by because native american culture was very farmiliar with it long before the europeans showed up.  One of my good friends is native american ( he hosts a lan every month) but he dont spend every columbus day complaining pining for a long dead culture and trying to make the rest of us feel bad about somthing we werent there for and had nothing to do with. You dont have anymore right to live here than anyone else because your ancestors were here before mine.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2004-04-04, 13:21 »

Hehe, and don't forget where those ancestor have their roots in the first place... :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #18 on: 2004-04-04, 14:24 »

secondly Italians americans have kind of latched on to it as thier own holiday.
???

Why?  Out of all the holidays America has, why Columbus Day?  Who even celebrates this holiday outside of elementary school any more?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #19 on: 2004-04-04, 14:35 »

... a long dead culture ...
I don't think I would call it a long dead culture, either, as there are many members still alive and practicing their cultural traditions.  While I don't feel any guilt about it, I can acknowledge that the settling of America was an invasion.  There was the room here for white settlers and the many nations of "Native Americans" to live together, but when you force a people out of their very homes to take their land, it's wrong.  Like I said, it was long ago and not my fault at all, but you could take a moment to reflect on what happened.  To many of the indiginous people, we are still an occupying force (that also happens to dig up their ancestors and charge admission for people to come and disrespect them - one of the reasons I am going to be cremated.  Ain't no one digging me up in 100 years after I'm dead and sticking me in a museum for people to point.)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: