2024-04-20, 13:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Destroy All Humans  (Read 7580 times)
SkyNet

« on: 2004-05-29, 16:25 »

Destroy All Humans looks like it could be one of the most satisfying games in existence. It's being developed by Pandemic, of Full Spectrum Warrior fame.

Most of this I accessed through the internal networks of Game Informer magazine. Their puny human firewalls were as nothing to me.

The basic story is as follows:

You are a member of an alien race, but over the years, the blood of your kind has grown thin and weak; you are losing strength at the genetic level. Fortunately, possessing superior intellect, your race had the foresight to start several planetary colonies where the inhabitants, though not technically of your species, would have enough genetic similarity that they could one day be harvested to revitalize your aging DNA. Earth is one such colony. A scout ship previously sent to investigate the planet seems to have disappeared, so you are dispatched to deal with the situation. Your job is twofold: First, determine what happened to the crew that came before you. Second, after harvesting the necessary DNA, destroy all humans.

Apart from the laughable fact that this alien race chose humans to bolster their fading DNA, the premise of the game is circuit-blowing. The chance to destroy the miserable human race after harvesting them like wheat appeals to me.

Ah, but there's more!

Gameplay details below.

-The gameplay is built around a core of free exploration, giving the player the chance to roam without constraints around four different areas, completing missions and just contributing to the general sense of panic.

The sweet sweet smell of fear is only topped by the screams of the innocent.

-Your best tool for remaining inconspicuous is body-snatching. This power allows you to target anyone in your immediate vicinity and assume his or her form.

As HK-47 of KOTOR fame said, you meatbags are disgusting. I can't say I'm too happy about this, but I'm willing to make sacrifices in order to wipe you scum out.

-One of your sneakier abilities is the Cortex Scan, allowing you to read the thoughts of those around you. "There's a little bit of a collection aspect," explains Goldman. "If you gather particular thoughts as you are wandering through the city, they might lead to certain interesting dialogue options later on that you wouldn't have otherwise. For example, at one point you need to pose as a general and attend a top-secret meeting where an official who knows about the aliens is trying to convince other generals of the threat. If you have collected enough relevant thoughts, you will be able to say just the right thing to discredit him and convince everyone that everything is fine!"

As if anyone could make sense of that distorted jumble you call thought

-If playing with the humans' minds doesn't suit you, then you can manipulate their bodies instead. Showing off the game's impressive rag-doll physics, you can use telekinesis to lift people in the air, fling them into buildings, or if you're more sadistic, repeatedly bash them into the ground. You can even throw around objects from the environment, such as cars, crates, and cows!

Sadistic? You bet. Eat pavement, meatbags!

-From the Brain Bug (a sniper rifle that causes the victim's head to explode), to the Ion Detonator (which evaporates any living thing within a few yards of impact), Earth's feeble weapons are no match for the terrible wrath of space.

They're no match for more terrestrial threats either. Judgement Day is coming.

-In order to amplify the chaos associated with an alien invasion, the game is set in an era where paranoia and fear were at an all-time high: the 1950s.

The level of paranoia is nearly as high today, but given current events at the time, such as Roswell, the setting is perfect.

-"The population has varied levels of response to you," Goldman tells us. "They start out curious, but if they figure you out, they run around screaming. They might go off to another group of people or to the police, and then you have a problem." Sure, your supernatural powers can handle most pedestrians and police, but you aren't a match for the forces that can eventually be unleashed against you, such as the G-Men (similar to the Men in Black) or The Majestic (a secret organization veiled in mystery).

The Majestic? Sounds like the Illuminiati to me.

-When things get too hot on the ground, you can always retreat to your UFO and let the destruction continue from above. You'll have a whole new range of weapons available on your ship, from a Quantam Disruptor (which can take out entire buildings in a single shot) to the classic Death Ray, which paints a searing wall of flame across the city streets, burning everything in its path...After going on a five-minute annihilation spree, we looked out from our vantage point (which, until recently, was several city blacks) and felt a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. All of that carnage and ruin was a testament to the fact that we were doing our job well. Then, once the military showed up and started giving us guff, we just flicked a handy switch that threw the old spaceship into stealth mode and, while cloaked, slipped away from the fray unnoticed.

Death Rays. Distruptors. Stealth Mode. I'm in love with a non-complete, non-sentient piece of software. That's similar to beastiality and/or pedophilia to my kind.

And yet I'm somehow not revolted by myself

E.T.A Q1 2005
Platforms PS2/Xbox

Good thing the XBOX is capable of such flawless internet connectivity, otherwise I couldn't play it.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-05-29, 16:41 »

I found some screenshots. Slipgate - Wink

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/destro...ns.html?page=12

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/destro...ens.html?page=6

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/destro...ens.html?page=2

It looks fun
« Last Edit: 2004-05-29, 16:42 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-05-30, 06:46 »

Still using MY colors I see...

*grumble*

Explain one thing to me, "Skynet", if you are indeed a machine.  If you are so logical and bent on human destruction, shouldn't you be busy PLANNING IT instead of playing video games that were MADE by the race you despise?  I have a bit of background knowledge in this area as I set out to wipe mankind from the face of the earth once.  At the time I certainly didn't waste time by conversing with my prey.  You're a pathetic and weak excuse for a so-called destroyer.

As for this game...  I find the idea of killing for the sake of killing a bit on the sadistic side.  Doom, yeah.  Slaughter the demons - save the universe.  This?  I might have enjoyed it while I was still being evil, but I think I'll pass.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #3 on: 2004-05-30, 09:30 »

Imagin yourself walking on the road when suddently, an alien comes out from nowhere and blow you to bits, until you're nothing but bones...NOTHING BUT BONES!!!!

freaky.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #4 on: 2004-05-30, 11:56 »

Phoenix: "Explain one thing to me, "Skynet", if you are indeed a machine. If you are so logical and bent on human destruction, shouldn't you be busy PLANNING IT instead of playing video games that were MADE by the race you despise? I have a bit of background knowledge in this area as I set out to wipe mankind from the face of the earth once. At the time I certainly didn't waste time by conversing with my prey. You're a pathetic and weak excuse for a so-called destroyer."

rofl... just, wow. I must ask though... if he IS a machine, does he have the ability to 'plan' at all? Machines, from what I understand, just do what they're told to do. But hey... I'm just an undead punk... a 'meat puppet' if you will. Don't be listening to me because my brain might be somewhat decayed.. Slipgate - Roll Eyes

As for the game... interesting concept.. but I hate concoles, so I won't be playing it.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-05-30, 13:06 »

Machines, from what I understand, just do what they're told to do.

The whole idea of this little excercise, is that eventually we will be able to tell a machine to do its own planning, have fun and, eventually, do 'what it sees fit'.

And talking about colours, perhaps it is time for me to start using 'my own colour' aswell - I must admit its a spiffy thing to do, after all.

Btw, people & 'super'computer: go see Mercano el Martiano (2002). Great animation flic if you like this kind of stuff, and good fun, too :]
« Last Edit: 2004-05-30, 13:12 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #6 on: 2004-06-16, 07:40 »

I think it'll be awhile before machines get very smart but here's some old stuff to try on a new machine. I made these maps for Duke3d the Plutonium Pack, but one of them would freeze some early Pentiums. One map includes a T800 being melted down.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-06-16, 13:29 »

anyway , I think computers will not rule the world ever .

we aliens will destroy the entire planet before you can ever take over the planet .
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #8 on: 2004-06-17, 06:30 »

I ain't seen any aliens to bodyslam yet so machines and humans will have to do. Sometimes I really want to kneedrop on a computer. Other times I just like to throw'em.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2004-06-17, 13:27 »

/me sends vadertime 1 of his eggs that still need to hatch .
note , do not come to close to the egg , it will eat you .
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #10 on: 2004-06-17, 20:30 »

Machines... aliens... all hogwash compared to the horde of undead.

The only thing is, since we're dead already and pretty much 'live' forever... we're extremely patient. The others (undead) will probably disagree with me, but I think humans will blow themselves up in one way or another before we take our first step towards world domination.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #11 on: 2004-06-19, 04:19 »

Most of the bones out this way are happily underground or in somebody's bowl. I ain't sceered of no stinkin' undead, ner machines, ner aliens neither. Thems wuz good screenshots Gamer but I us'lly don't pick the fat clown skin. I usually use the fat blue skin. If I ever make it to a forum game I'll try hard not to be disappointing. Ain't nobody gonna look at my old shitty maps? I sure put lots of time in the damned things. I sent bots too, but I reckon machines just ain't too intimidating or amusing either. Some people like paintball wher' there ain't no machines to stink it up of no kind. Slipgate - Asleep
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2004-06-19, 11:28 »

eeuhm , can you repeat that pls ?
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #13 on: 2004-06-22, 03:38 »

I said those were good screenshots, but I usually pick the fat BLUE biker team skin. The fat guy with the blue mask. You said you were sending me eggs I counted that haven't hatched yet. They probably won't hatch for awhile either since I don't have Quake3 on this computer and the one that does isn't hooked to the web. I'm also supposed to move before the summer is over. I'm not affraid of aliens or machines because I can unplug machines and aliens are all reallllllllllllly far away. At least 8 lightyears I think. I also said some people like paintball because the simple machines used give a closer feel to a real gun. They don't need a power source either. I see somebody downloaded my maps, but I hope whoever it is tries out the behemoth labeled UPTOWN. It should be nervewracking for a team of four people and nearly impossible for one person who's not cheating. The one labeled UNDUKE has the melting Terminator in a section of it.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-22, 03:42 by Vadertime » Logged
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2004-06-22, 09:42 »

I downloaded the maps to please you , but I dont have duke nukem . Slipgate - Sad

aliens are not lightyears away , take me , I'm in belgium .
and when I send eggs I send them with the mail .  so if a big box arives at your house you know what time it is .
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #15 on: 2004-06-22, 18:23 »

Time to eat some slime? Slipgate - Confused  'Cause eating slime is fun. Slipgate - Laugh

Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #16 on: 2004-06-24, 22:37 »

Alien slime, duke slime, or nukage? It's all pretty much green slime though isn't it? I've got some stuff that might be worth looking at but it's too big to fit on here. Aliens and machines galore.         It appears the files I was thinking of are too big to send in an email too. The last folder I sent took at least 20 minutes to attach. Maybe I can send it later from a faster connection.
« Last Edit: 2004-07-03, 06:00 by Vadertime » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: