2024-03-28, 22:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: req1dm6 WIP  (Read 7250 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2004-05-30, 22:27 »

released a WIP of my q1dm6 remake:
http://hem.passagen.se/macleod2/quake3/bet.../req1dm6a07.htm

Please note that the map is still in early stages and im doing lots of experiments on it. Any feedback however is very welcome Slipgate - Smile
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #1 on: 2004-05-31, 09:59 »

Alright...

First of all, I LOVE IT

It just feels alot better then the other one, the smaller feel of it really shines through. And the pipe just makes it complete.

First: The door to the LG opens too fast... Maybe you knew this and ave it on your list, maybe not. Slipgate - Smile Part of the danger of opening it was waiting around for it to open. Slipgate - Smile

and then, the clip bushes, (see image below)

Why did you leave the areas in the first one open, and clip the second ones? Personally, I love the new mid-room with the godly-high ceiling, and the little coves Slipgate - Smile It's great I say leave them all unclipped. gives the map some new 'bonzai' points.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #2 on: 2004-05-31, 17:08 »

I agree with Dicion about the clips in the YA/SNG room. Removing them would add a whole new dimension to the map (eg grenades  Sipgate - Evil )! I had a few rounds with slippy bots on hardcore and they didn't seem to have any problems.

Like what I'm seeing so far!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2004-05-31, 20:22 »

Well im glad ya like it so far! Slipgate - Smile

Anyways it was my plan to clip all those arches and the "third" floor.. but it seems like yall don't want that so ok i guess i'll remove those clips then! Slipgate - Tongue yea i know about the door, still lots of things to do and i'll change the speed on that door when i get the time!
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-06-01, 17:05 »

Slipgate - Off Topic  wtf is that for a grapple ??  Slipgate - Off Topic
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-06-01, 19:03 »

This time, you already know how much I like the map, so I'll jump straight to the bitching. No wait, I won't. Let me say that I'm aware the map is a W.I.P. and undergoing experimentation (ooh... you make it sound so exciting Slipgate - Smile). Anyway, some of the following may be too obvious and/or on your list of needs-work - if so, ignore and proceed :]

Some z-fighting right in the center of the screen there.

Looks quite odd, the bit in the center of the screen (center vertically, horizontally right in between the torch and the rocketlauncher). Like there's only one side of a brush visible or something.
Also, I'll never be a fan of floating stairs. Then again, that is Quake for you, perhaps. I did notice the steps were anchored to the walls in the original, though.

This is the area I have the most beef with at the moment.  I can jump across the gap from standstill, which is a bad thing, if you ask me. The gap is way too small, imo.

You know I like the little alcoves (if not, well, I do, very much Slipgate - Smile). I think you changed the texture on them though? They seem to be somewhat green/grayish at present, which kind of looks un-darkzone-ish to me. Brownish hues look better to me in this particular map.

And finally, a beef with the gameplay: The four support struts that were present in the original affected the gameplay in a few ways. You couldn't really take a shortcut in jumping across to the GL as easily (even apart from the fact you can jump across entirely, now), and you could use them for cover.
I think that for true nostalgia purposes, they ought to be back in (and yes, they'd only look good if the gap were to be made larger).

I loaded up the original, and although I admit I'm not much of a qw'er, I can't jump across. I can't even properly jump in between the struts and end up @ the GL.

Another little bit of z-fighting.

Well, I feel kind of silly for posting this one, but it could be upped on the aesthetics... :]

The second area that's high on my oh-dear-list.
You can see the spot where I stood when I took that screenshot. Since that room is camped heavily during 1on1's and small FFA's, for the RA, a space like that pretty much removes the possibility of someone getting in the room undamaged, even if he IS aware of someone sitting there. A clip brush right there wouldn't hurt.

Then there's a minor beef I have with the spawn-hallway that curves around the RA. The lack of a roof in there, makes it less cramped, and harder to assault the place with rockets-to-the-roof, from the lower area of the room. Just a small issue, admittedly.

Well, I can't really think of anything that's wrong with it that isn't Q1DM6 related, other than that. I still think any mapper throwing in a SSG, RL and RA in the same room is asking for trouble, so I don't know what ID was thinking.. but oh well.

The tunnel to the MH is absolutely fantastic - feels very much like the way it would have been if Quake had curves :] Very nice.
I also like the underground / RoShadows bit a lot, very artsy.

P.S. Sorry for the ugly shots, I had my mapoverbrightbits way too high.. :}
« Last Edit: 2004-06-01, 19:18 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-06-01, 19:08 »

I'm in 100% agreement with Tab about the upper GL walkway. The central hole should be about twice the size it is now, and no one should be able to jump the entire thing.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-06-01, 19:20 »

Quite frankly, since this is a remake I'd prefer to see the traditional Q1 atrium that was in the original dm6 rather than the third floor. Adding things onto a remake subtracts from its nostalgia factor imo.

I'd also suggest hunting down a texture pack or two - standard q3 textures cannot do this map justice =[

I'd start here: http://www.evillair.net/textures.htm
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2004-06-01, 20:47 »

Yea the map is still in early stages and you'll prolly find lots of bugs and clips that i havent placed and so on Slipgate - Smile

Tabun:

1. Yea i know..have to do some subtracting and clipping there.

2.check 1.

3. they are supposed to connect to the wall..forgot to fix that while working on the walls.

4. hmm yea you could be correct there, tho i noticed that the q1 dude doesnt jump that far as q3. but i'll change that! yes if i find any good textures i'll change em still havent decided on which textures to use they are mostly "place holders" for the momment.

5. check 1.

6. yea that place need a clip brush i know will fix that later on.

Finaly thanks once again tab! u kick ass! btw i got a question..what FOV are you using? man talk about fish-eye Slipgate - Wink

Con: i'll fix that ASAP!

Tekhead: well you can be correct... i might remove the third floor or not..i'll just have to do some test and if ppls do want the third floor to be removed i will remove it.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-01, 20:48 by ReBoOt » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-06-01, 21:04 »

Heh my fov is @ 110, not too insane, I should think.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: