2024-04-27, 22:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Got Galaxies? (They're older than you think.)  (Read 3010 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2004-07-08, 05:40 »

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=14524

I love seeing astrophysicists humbled by the universe.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-08, 14:04 »

You always seem pretty vindictive towards science and mans quest to understand their place in the universe...
While I'm dismayed at the lack of knoweldge it forces us to realize, something like this opens up new vistas for us all to enjoy and marvel over.
I say hooray for astrophysics and it's willingness to admit it can be wrong, which is more than I can say for some other world views.
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-08, 18:23 »

I wouldn't've said it quite like that, but I'm with dna here.

On an unrelated note, I was reading some books a couple nights back, and damn if Quantum Physics isn't mind bending.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-08, 18:57 »

Quote from: OoBeY
On an unrelated note, I was reading some books a couple nights back, and damn if Quantum Physics isn't mind bending.
Lol, right now I'm enamored with String Theory.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-08, 20:22 »

I have nothing against trying to understand the universe.  I have nothing against science, as long as it remains objective and does not discount certain possibilities just on the principle of disliking them or finding them inconvenient for certain theories.  There are also some scientists who are pretty smug in their certainty of how the universe works.  I just like seeing people like that humbled before the awesomeness that is God's handiwork.  To me it's the universe laughing at the "superior intellect" and showing you that there is more mystery out there than you could possibly fathom.  People take far too much for granted and never seem to stop and consider the heavens, and their wonder.  Such mystery is not a bad thing.  It reminds us that we can't know everything.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: