2024-04-28, 15:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay Marriage Amendment  (Read 3748 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-07-13, 00:22 »

Does anyone else see this "no gay marriage" constitutional amendment that's coming up for vote as a strategic ploy by the GOP. I mean, every knows Republicans are against gay marriage, so voting for this amendment won't hurt any of them, hell, it will help them with the religious right. But the Democrats in Congress have one of two losing decisions to make:

1) Vote for the amendment, and pretty much lose a lot of votes from their liberal constituents.

2) Vote against the amendment, and get hounded by the GOP as "flip floppers" for being against gay marriage (as many/most House/Senate dems, including Kerry and Edwards, are) but yet not supporting an amendment to "fix the problem".

Savvy ploy by the GOP if you ask me. They know there is no way on God's green Earth this admendment will pass, they are just trying to make the Democrats set themselves up for a good rogering.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-13, 03:19 »

Good to see someone's savvy toward political maneuvering! Thumbs up!
Personally I like seeing bills come along that make someone stand up and vote one way or the other on a tough issue.  Media, time, and spin can cover rhetoric and soften or even obscure a politician's true stance on an issue, but voting records do not lie nor change.

In the end it's no different from Democrats tacking questionable amendments onto appropriations bills for Social Security, Medicare, and Welfare.  Veto the bill to kill the amendment and all of a sudden you're "against the poor" or "against the elderly", etc.  It's a rather common strategy from what I've seen, but being pulled the other way around for a change.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-13, 16:00 »

Chalk this up in the "i couldnt care any less either way" department. And on a another note its not like the GOP needs any plot to make democrats look two faced.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-14, 22:02 »

It backfired anyway.  It didn't even get past the procedural vote in the senate because some Republicans got cold feet.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: