2024-03-28, 18:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bunny-hoppers, REJOICE! (Doom3 fully accommodates you!)  (Read 5506 times)
Tekhead

Elite

« on: 2004-08-06, 20:11 »

So I was playing a few tourney games, doing allright, then this guy comes in and wipes the floor with me... he was everywhere in no-time in the map The Frag Chamber. So, I jump in the spectator rotation and go in his eyes, and lo and behold! This guy carried his pogo stick from Quake3 and was strafe-jumping all over the place, going almost twice as fast as a player's normal running speed. It was sickening.

After 4 years of production, one would think that id would hammer out this exploit, but it seems that I am wholly wrong. Is anyone else sick of this shit? I want to play the damn game, not jump around like a retard in order to stand a chance. Join track if you want to do hurdles - this is DOOM DAMNIT!!!

I am very dissapointed in Doom3 MP now.
« Last Edit: 2004-08-06, 20:11 by Tekhead » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-08-06, 20:26 »

It's a good thing I only give a shit about the SP mode, anyway.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Genialus

Shambler

« Reply #2 on: 2004-08-06, 21:29 »

Wasn't this what the 60 cap was for?
or was that trick-jumping?

I think I will stick to LAN play and just assume my friends wont do this
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-08-07, 03:27 »

I guess Doom 3 will get punkbuster after this...

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-07, 04:06 »

the FPS trick was about gaining extra height in jumps. It does not directly impact strafe-jumping, but it does assist it. The more time one has in the air between jumps, the more they can speed up.
« Last Edit: 2004-08-07, 04:07 by Tekhead » Logged
Kelemvor

« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-13, 05:42 »

This is probably the lamest reason to be upset about the Doom 3 multiplayer experience I have ever heard.  Strafe jumping is not something to cry about, considering it is EASILY countered by a well placed rocket or grenade.  Also, the "pogo stick" is no where near as effective as it was in Q3 because the design of the levels is more compact in Doom.  Also, Frag Chamber is a lame map all in its own.

No, the thing you should be upset about is the number of people who apparently don't understand what the words "WARM UP - YOU ARE NOT READY" mean.  Litterally, I see servers that sit there for 20 minutes with no one readying up, which is a shame because their pings where decent.

Honestly, as long as you can move to the side and jump,  there is no use complaining about strafe jumping.  It is a stratigic movement that works on a very basic level.  Learn how to counter it and/or do it and you will be fine.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-08-13, 15:42 »

I can see where Tek is coming from, and you have to see it this way:

You have a great moody game, where realism and tension are key to enjoying it. This goes for SP, ofcourse, but imho, it should go for MP aswell.

You cannot, ever, create a moody environment and allow tension to work its magic, if players are bouncing around like monkeys. Marines do not, as a rule, jump around like baboons on stoves. It just doesn't feel right, and it doesn't make sense.

The Quakes were just unreal, unrealistic and alien, and the focus was mainly on speedy gameplay. It makes sense to bunnyhop, and it can be quite enjoyable. I just don't think an engine like Doom3's should go to waste on speedy and flat gameplay. Next thing you know, people are tweaking their games for better visibility, applying ugly rendering effects and binding their rocketjumps to buttons and voila: same-old, same-old. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
witz

« Reply #7 on: 2004-08-13, 18:54 »

in (modern) id games there's three movement styles - walking, creeping and running (oh, and crawling i guess) - except that they're denoted 'always run', 'walk' and 'strafe jump'. if id want to stop the game looking so cartoony they should have strafe jumping defined as 'striding', or something, and have the animations changed to compensate and then have a 'shift jump' combo or something similar for a leap. that way we can still have movement as a skill to be learnt (as well as aim) and keep those people happy who don't like feeling they're playing against a group of kangaroos Slipgate - Smile
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #8 on: 2004-08-21, 07:32 »

Tekhead, I'm surprised at you, I thought you would LIKE having strafe jumping in Doom being the trick jump expert you are, but I can see why you wouldn't want the level of realism disturbed.

I think strafe jumping in Doom 3 actually works out ok. Staying quiet is as important as ever in Doom 3, and clearly strafe jumping is not quiet, although its debateable whether running footsteps is louder than the marine's "oomph". Most of the time strafe jumping is not very practical, because besides the noise, it takes longer to accelerate with the D3 marine's slower starting speed, and in many areas you just end up bumping your head on some overhanging pipe or the ceiling and get screwed up. In the select areas where strafejumping is applicable, I think it provides a nice boost to gameplay. If you need to get somewhere fast, you can ramp jump up railed stairs and strafe jump across open areas faster than less knowledgeable players, at the cost of lost stealth.

My main criticism of Doom 3 right now is the lack of public servers. With only a 4 player standard limit, all fast servers are filled up all the time. Then there are the 8-12 player hacked servers which have a slightly higher chance of having an opening, but then the player load ruins the feel of the game, and it's just chaos as tons of n00bs run around blindly spaming a super cramped map with pistol and chaingun fire.

Other than that I have a few weapon nitpicks:

1) The plasma gun is way too slow. The plasma bolts seem slower than rockets! I understand the need for slower projectiles in the reduced map size of Doom 3, but it's just too much. They should be atleast 1x the speed of rockets, if not 1.5x or 2x. If the damage needs to be toned down in exchange, fine, but right now it's pretty much useless.

2) The chaingun, what's the point? It seems somewhat redundant, it's just an overpowered machinegun. Its windup delay is minimal, and while combined with the blinding smoke it makes for a somewhat substantial disadvantage (since in doom 3 you have to be ready for someone to pop out of the shadows at any second) it basically just gives n00bs something to lean on. Instead of learning to get skill with the shotgun, RL, or plasma gun, then can just spam chaingun fire and do ok. If the chaingun is really necessary, it would be nice to make it a little more like the Q2 chaingun or something.

other stuff:

-it would have been nice to have more realistic handling on the MG and the pistol, with first shot accuracy and wider spreads for  rapid fire. The MG's general fire is accurate enough that it does the job fine, but I would have prefered something both more realistic and more skill intensive. Particularly without a Railgun, I think the MG could do to serve more like an assault RIFLE than a simple lead-spam-gun.

-grenades seem a little weak, It seems like often I end up hitting someone with a nade directly, and then it takes extra hits to finish them off. Maybe it's just a coincidence that in all these cases my targets had armor, but it seems a little fishy to me (especially considering half of Doom 3 players are n00bs named "Player" who don't even know how to get armor). Plus, blast radius could maybe be wider, so 'placed' explosions are more effective.

-the shotgun spread is REALLY wide. Like, it's close to being useless at anything outside of point blank range. In the close ranges of Doom 3, too small a spread would risk making it into a fuzzy rail gun, but right now you can't really say it does a 'generous pelting' at a distance. It's more like a slight prick in the ass.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #9 on: 2004-08-21, 10:00 »

Maybye next month there will be a bunny skin for those bunnyhoppers Slipgate - Grin .

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: