2024-04-18, 10:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hangar map-Beta (Help with entities?)  (Read 9608 times)
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« on: 2004-09-07, 23:06 »

I made a level with the same approximate layout of D1M1 for Q3 Pkarena- It is kind of a personal project not necessarily to distribute. I wanted to make something that resembled DOOM3, but kinda gave up cause the dark settings I wanted were washing out the textures in Q3 and basically kinda looked like crap. But anyways I was so far along that I went ahead and finished it, only I made it brighter.

I don't know much about weapon placement in generations and haven't played DOOM in so long I forgot where the stuff was, so if anyone is interested in trying it out and help me let me know, I'm zipping the thing in a bit. In pkarena we have lots of defenses not available in regular q3 or generations, so we tend to overcrowd the map with entities that normally would be too much for gen.

WARNING- Needs a good graphic card.

Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #1 on: 2004-09-08, 17:02 »

holy shiet dude, that looks awesome!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-09-08, 17:25 »

Very impressive indeed.  I would be glad to help with weapon/item placement.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-09-08, 21:44 »

A bit dark for E1m1, though. But great, either way. Slipgate - Laugh
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #4 on: 2004-09-09, 01:52 »

thanks!, I made a few changes and now is vissing again :-(

Footman- It is quite dark, it was supposed to be even darker cause I wanted to make it look like Doom3. It only resembles hangar in its layout, the rest is quite different. Ill post a beta as soon as ready.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-09-09, 04:50 »

What you have displayed in the screenshots looks awesome so far FluSyndrome.  I've been meaning to check out some of your other map remakes (particularly the Blood ones, :p) but I keep forgetting to.

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #6 on: 2004-09-09, 07:15 »

Thanks!

I made a couple blood ones for Predator and his Bloodbath pack which is already out http://q3bloodbath.w.interia.pl/   :-)

The following is a link to the Beta, it wont be up long, maybe a couple days cause its rather large at 6.5 Mb and I don't wanna use space for the beta.

http://www.flu.stonks.com/hangar_beta.zip

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-09-09, 19:43 »

Looks very very nice indeed! great work FlueSyndrome!!! i do want to check this map out but my modem beeing a total ass aginst me i can't Slipgate - Sad
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #8 on: 2004-09-09, 22:01 »

We have been checking out in pkarena and seem to have good flow, but again I bet you guys will probably find it saturated with weapons, so I'm willing to remove, change, relocate entities for gen.

BTW, that map would be total crap without Tabun's textures, what a difference it makes, I have to really take a moment to congratulate Tabun on such great detailed texture set. I have made some textures myself and NEVER come even close to something that great and that looks good when you are actually running the game.

I will probably wait till at least next tuesday to do anything cause I am really busy right now, IVAN is the second hurricane within a week and a half that is heading straight to my house, and at 160 mph with 200 mph wind gusts this one is a killer. I hope it changes directions at the last minute like Frances did.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2004-09-09, 22:25 »

Personally, I find the q2/q3 textures used in the map clash hard with the Doom theme... Lunaran has some good textures (as seen in lun3dm3) - perhaps you might want to ask him about using his set for your map. I'd like to provide the texture pack, but it's apparently missing from FilePlanet, where it seems you can *almost* get every file you'd want.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-09, 22:34 by Tekhead » Logged
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #10 on: 2004-09-10, 00:31 »

Which are the ones you are referring to Tekhead? I know I used many Q3 textures but I don't think I used any Q2 at all. Which are the most offending ones, I think probably the ones from the slime to the exit may clash, but I was kinda worn out, that was like one of the last sections of the map made.

I spent HOURS and HOURS searching for non-copyright textures that can be used freely and only found Sock's textures at Simland ( http://www.planetquake.com/simland/pages/materials.htm ) which are outstanding, and forget DOOM textures, other than Tabun's it was a fruitless ventures, I wanted to finish the map before DOOM4 come out and change my mind again  :-)

I'll try to check those out. BTW my goal was to resemble DOOM3 not DOOM1, here's some screenies I used for inspiration :-)  Notice how well those textures look in dim light, the map was originally darker but all the textures would wash out and look awful so I gave up.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #11 on: 2004-09-10, 07:16 »

I've been waiting for a good E1M1 remake. It's like THE doom level (even if it's short and simplistic compaired to the others).  It's cool that you're going for an updated look, although I hope you don't make it so D3-ish that it's unrecognizeable (like all pitch black and over-ly detailed). From the pics it seems like you've found a good balance between D3 and D1 look.

As far as item placement I would say load up E1M1 in DM mode in JDoom or something and scope it out, then change things as necessary. It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but if the armor isn't at the top of the stairs in front of the window, and the RL in the pool outside, it won't feel quite right.

Anyway, sounds like you're doing a good job, so I'm looking forward to the final version. Good luck with Ivan.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-10, 07:16 by Gnam » Logged
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #12 on: 2004-09-10, 23:15 »

HAHAHA I just played JDOOM, I hadn't played in a loooong time, there is only 4 weapons in tht whole level, a shotgun behind some barrels, a rocketlauncher in the courtyard, another shotgun in the secret area behind the lift and a rotating machinegun by the exit. WOA that is way too little for the rather big level, and if I remember correctly weapons didnt stay in DOOM1, they dissappeared for a minute or so, so it must've been really  hard to get weapons back then. Uhmmm nahh, I also remember it was mostly a modem to modem thing with only two players, at least for me, me against my brother all the time.

DOOM trivia- What does that switch in the column next to the stairs leading to the red armour do?  I hit it and seems to do nothing but it does make a switch sound.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #13 on: 2004-09-11, 15:15 »

Quote from: FluSyndrome
DOOM trivia- What does that switch in the column next to the stairs leading to the red armour do?  I hit it and seems to do nothing but it does make a switch sound.
It opens a secret door to the right of the starting point which leads out into the courtyard.

You do mean Doom 1, right?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #14 on: 2004-09-11, 18:25 »

Yup, Hangar level in DOOM1,  I gotta check it out, I must've played that level a 1000 times back in the good ol' days and don't remember no secret door.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: