2024-04-25, 07:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Music  (Read 15901 times)
Gnam

Makron

« on: 2003-05-11, 19:37 »

For a while now, I've been thinking we should try to get some remake music in Gen. The Q3 music works fine, but it is kinda tiresome hearing the same tracks over and over and doesn't really work to bring out the uniqueness of the Gen maps. I think maps like the Slimy Place and The Abandoned base just aren't the same without the music of Sonic Mayhem and NIN blasting om the background.

I'm curious what you guys think about this. I know some people probably don't care about the music and just put on their own cds, that's why I'm asking.

Anyway, the major problem is finding the remakes. There are some Doom remixes around. Most are not quite what you wanna frag to, but I few have some potential. Unfortunately there are no good remixes of Runnin (D2M2) that I've found. The only really good ones I've found are of E1M1, E1M4, and E1M8. I haven't seen any remixes for Quake 1 or 2 around though, nor Wolfenstein. It's doubtfull if we'd be able to find a decent musician willing to do all this stuff just for fun, but if you know anyone,  speak up. I guess we could ask around on Overclocked Remix, but we'd probably end up with a bunch of washed out trance remixes with 1 or 2 tracks that fit. Hell, I guess it's worth a try if there's a significant amount of Gen players interested. Of course, I don't know how the dev team feels.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a good Runnin remix: http://www.angelfire.com/super/wimdenherde...mguitarsolo.mp3

BTW here's Doomworld's remix page: http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/info/...c.php?wad=remix
« Last Edit: 2003-05-11, 20:14 by Gnam » Logged
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #1 on: 2003-05-11, 20:40 »

I'm willing to work on any music, I have all the equipment here to do it, It would just be nice to have someone else to work on it with. I can play guitar, bass & acoustic, no drums though, although i do have the midi sequencers here to do drums and such. Come visit me on IRC sometime.
irc.wireheadstudios.net in #wirehead
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #2 on: 2003-05-11, 20:57 »

I thought most of the sound tracks were bundled with the maps, how would one add new music?
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2003-05-11, 22:43 »

i've got a lot of doom remixes and such i could donate to new maps Slipgate - Wink
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2003-05-11, 23:58 »

the problem with music is the file size. You can't bundle mp3's in, q3 can't read 'em. They have to be in a specific .wav format. the music in myk_doom2 caused the file size to go from about 3megs for the map to nearly 20, if I remember right, and that is just a short 45 second loop.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2003-05-12, 00:03 »

simple, just make a seperate music pack for those who wanna get it :lol:
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #6 on: 2003-05-12, 01:58 »

I do have some Quake 2 music... and one Wolfenstein 3D (main menu) music. And yes, in mp3 format.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2003-05-12, 02:01 »

The problem with most remixes out there is that people are kind of afraid to try new things - the usual stuff is either a boring 'heavy metal' or 'super techno beat' cliche. Either hardly does the doom music any justice :]
Among the best I've heard so far (albeit not a remix) is Ren's Doom Concerto - fits the doom world snugly.
Also, even hiphop haters should agree that klepka's Waiting does, at least, have an original touch to it. I personally thought it was really good.

Another song that comes to mind is Alice In Chains' - Angry Chair. Not exactly a remix ofcourse, but that song keeps me thinking about gloomy hallways & pink demons - not letting the lyrics sink in too deeply, that is :]

Anyway, I'm pretty curious what may be heard - a math-rock remix would kick arse, undoubtedly!
« Last Edit: 2003-05-12, 02:03 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2003-05-12, 02:08 »

amen

off-topic: i'm suprised noone has complained that my new avatar is dreadful, horrid, etc Slipgate - Tongue
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #9 on: 2003-05-12, 03:49 »

I would agree with you, Tabun, if we were talking about remixes for the sake of remixes, but we're talking about remixes for the sake of scoring Generations. Heavy metal and super techno may be cliche, but that's basically what Quake's music is. As far as I'm concerned a metal or techno remix of a Doom song fits the bill as long as it doesn't sound like a midi and is either fairly agrressive or fairly atmospheric. We're looking for good fraggin tunes, not a work of art.

I'm more partial to metal, because it usually carries over the agression and energy required for the job a lot more than a techno remix. Techno remixes can work, but they usually have to be more industrial and they usually are too relaxed. For example, compair thiese 2 remixes of Runnin:

http://bart.overclocked.org/mix.php?song=runhellx
http://www.angelfire.com/super/wimdenherde...mguitarsolo.mp3

The first one is a good song, its even kinda atmospheric, but it doesn't really make me wanna kill stuff. The second one is a little 80s for my tastes, but I think it works a lot better as deathmatch music.

Now the reason I bring up remixes is because I assume copyright would not allow Gen to use the original music. If not, for the Quake 1 and 2 music we could just rip it off the cds. I allready have all of them saved as mp3s, it'd be just a matter of converting them to the right files. I suppose the original Doom music could be utilized by using the Doomworld mp3s (the ones where they ran the midis through a GOOD sound card) but the sound quality is still a little dated. I don't know about Wolfenstein music since I never played it.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2003-05-12, 11:21 »

Hehehe - I'm always looking for art, when it comes to that. Quake 2 music was pretty much 'metal', so I guess whatever has that trying-to-be-rough sound to it goes perfectly. But an imperial-techno-breakbeat-march for a wolf map? (just to pick an example) My point wasn't just that remixes could be uninspired (after all, who dares to expect something fresh in this world of hurt Slipgate - Wink - but that most of it wouldn't fit the respective generations-worlds.

I agree that fragging-tunes should be atmospherical and, in some cases, agressive. I was only referring to Doom's original score because it's the best set of game tracks I've ever heard, and never relied on agressive instrumental overdose. It was most atmospheric and I could (and can) frag to that without problems.
Maybe this is/would be more important for resurgence though - without music to give a gloomy feel singleplayer wouldn't be the same :]

It's mostly personal preference - but I'm glad some ppl agree

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #11 on: 2003-05-12, 20:27 »

Sure i whould like to add remakes of music in my maps, but as con said .wav takes a lot of space, i don't know if it's possible to code mp3 support in q3. i could update The Abandoned base with custom music however that whould require everyone to download it again, also the one in gen mappack 2 wont work with the updated one.

Also you can't change the music on the maps if you don't have the .map file unless there's a BSP tweak to do this.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #12 on: 2003-05-12, 22:45 »

I, for one, would be willing to spend the extra d/l time for music.

Back to what Tabun said, I think indeed the stuff you're talking about it more pertaining to resurgence. For example, with Doom, dark, atmospheric, orchestrated peices are exactly what would fit with a single player experience like resurgence. However, I think for deathmatch, a certain amount of rockin and agression is required to keep the action going. I suppose Q1 is an example of an exception, since much of the music was slow and suspensefull, but I see that hapening less so with Doom music, and certainly it's hard to pull off.

So to express what I mean simply, I think the deathmatch tracks should sound more or less like Sonic Mayhem/Frontline Assembly's Quake 3 music (or rather, as much so as possible) with distorted guitar, pulse pounding racing drum beat, etc. On the other hand resurgence tracks should be as close to spirit of the original music and game as possible.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #13 on: 2003-05-12, 23:11 »

Quote from: Gnam
dark, atmospheric, orchestrated peices
I'm thinking goth rock here...
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #14 on: 2003-05-13, 11:10 »

Is it actually all right to use the original musics in Q1 or 2, but add some other sounds/musics to make it like a remix??
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2003-05-13, 19:18 »

didnt I post a link once with all the doomusic on the old forums once ??
I all chnged the mp3 and mp2 files towav format.
works fine .but yes its big then. very big .
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #16 on: 2003-05-13, 19:43 »

I have all the Doom music (even the stuff from Doom 64, hehe) on a CD somewhere... I think it's with my Radiant stuff. They're all in wav format, sound pretty darn good too  Slipgate - Laugh
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #17 on: 2003-05-14, 01:37 »

I have all the Doom music (even the stuff from Doom 64, hehe) on a CD somewhere
Funny you mention that- me too.

Yeah, the problem is drawing the line between a remix, and a rip with a few extra sounds. I suppose you could just add a couple extra beats to the drums and it would constitute a remix, but I don't know where Id would stand on this or if they would even pay attention.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2003-05-14, 11:43 »

write them a letter . and ask
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #19 on: 2003-05-18, 19:24 »

I'm surprised no one's done a QuakeAmp or something yet. For Unreal Tournament, someone made a winamp-type add on that played mp3s or sm3s durring the game. You could make a play list and could have songs change when they ended, or have them repeat till the next map then change.

Anyway, if there was a program like this for Quake, this could be our answer. If you could set a playlist with a specific song for each map, then you could set the default songs for the Q3 maps, and then set custom mp3s for the Gen maps. Too bad it doesn't exist. There is a program called QuakeWamp, but all it does is let you play, pause, stop and skip winamp with key binds within quake.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: