2024-03-29, 16:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 3 Impressions (I played the Demo today)  (Read 23678 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2004-09-25, 23:01 »

Quote from: Gnam
And it's only $40, it's not  a huge risk! As far as the cost of system upgrading, if you're a PC gamer, you're going to have to do it eventually anyway, so why not do it now?
It costs money, and that is something I do not have at present.

Look, I can deal with some gripes like the shotgun patterning, but the 60FPS limit MUST GO, period, end of story.  I'll do it myself.  I do WANT to play the game, don't get me wrong.  I just don't want to play it on outdated hardware with FPS caps causing visual annoyance the whole time.  If it doesn't bother you, that's great.  I can't help it if my eyes/brain are more sensitive to these things.

JLMode:  Would it hurt you too much to use proper English?  I can guarantee you that you have at least a 500% better chance of being taken seriously and not having your entire post skipped over if you would do that.  Games Keeper keeps his posts short, which is why he's not completely ignored.  Nobody can stand reading three large paragraphs of Games Keeper Speak™.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
MaximumKarnage

« Reply #21 on: 2004-10-06, 20:42 »

Well, about multiplayer, i wasnt expecting to be ALL Creep around-backstabbing action. If you have a rocket launcher, you dont really have a reason to be hiding, do you?
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #22 on: 2004-10-06, 21:31 »

I may try Doom 3 again at some point in the future when it's less of a risk for me, money wise (I sold my copy to my roommate for the exact amount I paid for it). Right now, it's just not worth it -- I'd rather go buy two games with that $55 that I would enjoy rather than one that, right now, doesn't fit the kind of game I'm into playing.

As for the 60FPS cap, that's not an issue for me, but it might be because I'm used to it. A lot of the games I play, particularly Dance Dance Revolution, are also capped at 60FPS.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #23 on: 2004-10-09, 15:20 »

for all you ATI card owners

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/doom...riencept2.shtml
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #24 on: 2004-10-26, 22:03 »

It was very dark and mostly metal.
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #25 on: 2004-11-16, 09:41 »

I Just Got Doom 3 Yesterday, and while i like it

both Tab and Pho are sooo right 60Fps really does suck, while for games like beat - em - ups 60Fps is fine

For First person shooters 60FPS is just too slow especially for deathmatch and it makes the single player chog somewhat

it quicker Pho, or anybody brings out a code to remove the limit the better

as at the mo, even with the hardware to run it at full pelt, it seems slower than the original doom

which is very wrong, doom has and should be about fast action and gameplay, not creeping around and waiting in the shadows

BRING BACK A PROPER, FAST DOOM

ID YOURS FANS DEMAND IT!!!!!!
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #26 on: 2004-11-16, 09:43 »

sorry bad typing,

it should have read

the quicker pho, or anybody brings out a code to remove the limit the better

(it's too early to be typing correctly)
mpb

« Reply #27 on: 2004-11-16, 11:51 »

I quite enjoyed the demo however on my laptop it ran at like 10fps lol. Bit I enjoyed most was walking outside on mars, that part imo was better than the rest of the entire demo. So much so that I kept killing myself just walking around outside trying to get away from the base and to go for a stroll around mars  Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2004-11-16, 11:54 by mpb » Logged
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #28 on: 2004-11-16, 17:27 »

sorry bad typing,

it should have read

the quicker pho, or anybody brings out a code to remove the limit the better

(it's too early to be typing correctly) 

you know , you CAN edit your posts and avoid double posting .
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #29 on: 2004-11-16, 18:56 »

Quote from: Lordbane2110
which is very wrong, doom has and should be about fast action and gameplay, not creeping around and waiting in the shadows

BRING BACK A PROPER, FAST DOOM

ID YOURS FANS DEMAND IT!!!!!!
There's a TC in the works that remakes the original Doom 1 levels and brings back fast gameplay. They're even removing reloading, which IMO is a mistake, but if you want fast action, they got it.

http://cdoom.d3files.com/index.php?page=news
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #30 on: 2004-11-17, 01:48 »

Well, it'll be a while before I can attempt to tweak Doom 3 because I only have the demo.  Even if I can't remove the hardcap on the 60FPS, that com_fixedtic variable may hold some promise for finding a way to sneak around it.  I'll find out once I can afford the game. Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #31 on: 2004-11-17, 02:20 »

One thing I know you can do is tighten the shotgun spread and damage to more appropriate non-SSG levels. I've done it myself with no knowledge of Doom 3 code just rooting around the PK4's in notepad. I also sped up plasma to not be super slow. Just stick your changed weapon definitions in a zip, rename to PK4, and make a new folder for it in the D3 directory, and you have yourself your own personal mod for playing through SP the way you want it.
(Not to be confused with your own personal jesus, even though Depeche Mode rocks. Slipgate - Roll Eyes)
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #32 on: 2004-11-17, 09:20 »

hmmm i might try that you know, get them all working more like there old doom counterparts

certainly worth having a look

thnx gnam

Slipgate - Smile~
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #33 on: 2004-11-21, 02:14 »

Well, I uploaded my version of the "shotgun fix":

http://www.geocities.com/chris_gnam/D3-Cla...sicShotguns.htm

there's 2 different mods, one to make the D3 shotgun more like the D1 single barrel shotgun (9 pellets, 8 damage), and one to make it more like the D2 super shotgun (23 pellets, 8 damage). The single barrel sounds weak, but with the tight spread you can make headshots more easily (144 damage), and do more body damage at long range. The double barrel is basically the same as the default D3 shotgun (they do almost the same total damage) but the main difference is the saturation of pellets (lots of weak pellets vs few strong pellets).

For spread, since they do the same damage, the spread for the SSG version is the same as the the default (22), then since the spread for the SSG is basically 1 unit of spread per pellet, reducing the spread of the single-barrel version proportionally is easy (9).

The main problem with spread in D3, which I think is why every hates it so much, is the spread in single player is double what it is in multiplayer. I think in multiplayer, it's pretty reasonable given the high level of damage (13 pellets for 15 damage each...195 total) and fit a damage/spread rate pretty close to what we're used to in Doom 1, 2, , Quake 3, etc. So, in addition to the spread for the modded shotguns being half the SP amount in multiplayer, I also provided 3 mini-mods for playing with the modded shotguns, as well as the default D3 shotgun,  with the reduced, half spread in single player. I think that pretty much covers just about anything you would want to do with shotguns in Doom 3.  Slipgate - Wink
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #34 on: 2004-11-21, 17:06 »

time to shotgunsnipe Slipgate - Smile
lord_malchia

« Reply #35 on: 2004-12-02, 04:14 »

I don't know how you guys can even stand to play that game. It's WAY too dark, you have to have your flashlight on almost all of the time or you can't see dick. The game was uninspired anyway, it's nothing but Aliens vs. Predator with a psuedo Half-Life intro phase. The one thing I will say though, is that using bump mapping for details as opposed to unneeded polygons was a pretty smart move.

As soon as I have a chance to go out, I'm picking up Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines instead. It's thankfully finally out, and is destiend to be great... Troika games in themselves are awsome, let alone ones that use Valve's utterly beautiful engine and White Wolf's always classic RPG system... I know, you power gamers probably prefer D&D or Rifts, but I like character and story behind my PnP RPGs Slipgate - Tongue
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #36 on: 2004-12-02, 04:47 »

LOL, oh god, you're one of those people....I honestly don't know why people have such a big problem with the darkness in D3...if you find yourself needing the flashlight all the time, then either your gamma is sporked up, you're a pussy, or your aim is shit. D3 is dark, but not pitch black. In 95% of situations there is still more than enough light to see your targets and aim. There are only like 2 instances in the game where you encounter enemies in total darkness, and it's only maintenance zombies easily bludgeoned to death with your flashlight..
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #37 on: 2004-12-02, 05:16 »

Quote from: lord_malchia
I don't know how you guys can even stand to play that game. It's WAY too dark, you have to have your flashlight on almost all of the time or you can't see dick.
BZZT! Wrong! Try again. Slipgate - Tongue

The brightness setting exists for a reason. Also the console command r_gamma helps.

My brightness is about 3/4 of the way up with r_gamma set to 1.1. I can see quite clearly unless the area is pitch black.
lord_malchia

« Reply #38 on: 2004-12-02, 06:06 »

One of those people? My aim is fine... How could it not be in such a slow game? My brightness is jacked up pretty high, however I did not mess with my gamma as I was unaware that there was a console command for it. Which is another problem I had with the game, there wasn't anything presented in the options, except different levels of graphics, no real customization involved through the GUI... And for whatever reason I can't use ALT as back pedal, which turns me off quite a bit.

Face it, Id failed. They wanted to make a scary game and they failed. What they do is attempt to force fear down your throat by putting you in an isolated and utterly claustrophobic environment while limiting your movement and vision. The gameplay has barely even evolved past that of the original Doom; enemies merely bust through carefully placed walls now instead of the walls opening up for them due to an enabled trigger.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2004-12-02, 07:03 »

lord_malchia, what you call failure is exactly what id was going for in the first place. A remake of the original.

However, I do say it was too dark. It was so dark I eventually quit playing it. I couldn't see a damn thing, even after adjusting gamme/brightness/contrast/whatever. I eventually made it where I could see a little, but the game looked horrible.

The fact that my monitor is dark anyway doesn't help the problem at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: