2024-03-29, 02:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lara Croft gets out the vote (True story.)  (Read 5714 times)
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« on: 2004-10-06, 16:04 »

MTV, Gamers Hope Video Clicks With Young Voters

It's not JoJo, not Britney, but Lara Croft in that hip-hugging outfit, who raps, "You've got to stand and choose."

"Everybody."

The lyrics aren't regular music video flava either, certainly not out of "Baby It's You" or "My Prerogative," which crowned last week's Top 10 hits on "TRL" -- or "Total Request Live," the viewer-voted countdown on MTV that is prime real estate for anyone scrambling for the elusive youth vote.

Then again, "Stand and Choose," the 2-minute 46-second music video debuting on "TRL" today, is an all-star cast of more than 50 video gaming characters, a "We Are the World" virtual reality extravaganza set in Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village.

The music is hip-hop. The mood is serious. The message is clear: Young people need to take this voting thing seriously.

The other message is clearer still: For the 18-to-24-year-old electorate, Psymon (of SSX Tricky), Nick Kang (of True Crime), Raiden (of Mortal Kombat) and SpongeBob (of, well, SpongeBob), are pop culture icons to rival most anyone in Spin magazine.

The video is written and produced by Ross Robinson, who has worked with Limp Bizkit, Korn and, most recently, the Cure. It starts off with Psymon walking through Washington Square Park, as a virtual Tony Hawk, Lara Croft, Sonic and characters from the Sims and Leisure Suit Larry come into view, all singing the chorus, "Come on and stand / Choose / Everybody / Anybody stand / Choose / Anybody / Come on." The project was directed by Tony Shiff, a producer for MTV2. It's only one of many components used by MTV's Choose or Lose: 20 Million Loud! campaign to mobilize the more than 20 million young adults ages 18 to 30 who could greatly influence the election but who routinely have not shown up at the polls.

MTV releases a hip-hop video starring a number of characters from various video games. Among them are Lara Croft, Raiden, and LEISURE SUIT LARRY.

I myself have never seen the video.

You know what should be done? A video of Generations characters either fragging it out or bumpin' to hip-hop (or both) - to get out the vote, of course.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-06, 16:44 by Assamite » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-10-06, 16:40 »

Edit: Outstanding - Thanks =]

Strange method of communication - it's interesting how marketing has adapted with the times to continue relaying their message down the ears and eyes of youth.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-06, 23:16 by Tekhead » Logged
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #2 on: 2004-10-06, 19:09 »

Don't bother, I've read enough. Slipgate - Distraught

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-10-06, 23:00 »

Well seeing that all the Generations characters are Id characters, you'd have to take that up with Id Software.  I would prefer something along the lines of a heavy metal gibfest, with the politics left out for good measure.  Politics just don't go with gaming, and when politicians get involved WITH gaming it just gets ugly.  Joe Lieberman, anyone?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2004-10-07, 00:57 »

I can imagine Doom 3 stuff in a music video, provided it's coupled with the proper music. :rules:
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #5 on: 2004-10-07, 02:52 »

Cyberdemon sez: VOTE, PUNY HUMANS, OR I SHALL RELEASE A THOUSAND TIDES OF FIRE UPON YOUR ETERNAL BEING.  Slipgate - Ninja
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-10-07, 02:53 »

*destroys Cyberdemon with a blast of holy fire.*

Next!  (But you should still vote)  :rules:

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2004-10-07, 03:09 »

Serious Sam says: Vote or else you'll be on the business end of my minigun.
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #8 on: 2004-10-21, 04:43 »

Video found here. Enjoy.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2004-10-21, 05:58 »

i vote for lara's luscious hooters.
Pages: [1]
  Print