2024-04-29, 17:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Draft Bill Dead  (Read 10589 times)
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #20 on: 2004-10-26, 18:07 »

He got shot! thats a damn good reason to have a bullet proof car!
« Last Edit: 2004-10-26, 18:24 by Woodsman » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2004-10-26, 21:37 »

Not only did I just indicate that I don't really care what the reason was, but I also disagree with that.

Normal situation:
- Event: Metallica sues Napster.
- Fan's reaction: Tosses albums in the garbage.

Justified situation in comparison with the Pope's mobile:
- Event: Metallica sues Napster
- Fan's reaction: Places albums in a brown paper bag, ties a huge purple decorative frog to the bag, then tosses the whole package in the garbage.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2004-10-27, 00:55 »

To get back to facts, there has not been a single world war since the development and initial deployment of the atomic bomb.  Since the initual two were detonated on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, no nuclear weapon has since been verifiably used in a combat role in ANY conflict to date.  Compare that to two world wars beginning within 25 years of each other in the first half of the twentieth century.  If anything you could say nuclear weapons have been an effective deterrant to world wars, at least, up until this point in history.  Who knows what the future will bring.

As for religion being a weapon of mass destruction, I think this would depend on which religion is in question and what it's primary teachings instruct its believers to do.  Now consider combining nuclear weapons with religious fanaticism, and yes, then you could call religion a weapon of mass destruction.

Now in regards to the Pope, perhaps he is old and weak, but despite his suffering and illness he doesn't give up.  If anything I'd say that's setting a good example to his followers to persevere against all odds.  He's done a good job of taking up his cross.  What harm is there in that?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2004-10-27, 11:09 »

As I stated, it's an impressive feat for the old chap to even stand up straight, so yes - I'd say he's giving it the best he's got, and yes, that's certainly worth something.
I just generally disagree with the 'word of god' being spread by man, in any form, whether it be in writing, or by a single religious figure (supported by vatican masterminds). 'Don't use birth-control, people!' - the masses sometimes need to be protected against themselves.

Oh dear, before this turns into some kind of religious debate/war (esp. with the 'it's a weapon' argument thrown in here already), I'll just go ahead and admit that religions (and for me, mostly and specifically those of asian origin) make a lot of sense.
I just think that any mass opinion or conviction, from 'thou shalt not kill' to 'he's a filthy jew' to 'winning is all important!' is dangerous from the moment the masses stop thinking. Agnostics are generally blamed to be apathetic, but I think nothing's closer to apathy than giving up on wondering and questioning things, accepting someone's word for something so personal as one's own beliefs.
Anyone doing their own thinking does not belong in that group, and whether they be muslim, buddhist, christian or satanist, IMO they've got the bull by the horns.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-27, 11:09 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #24 on: 2004-11-02, 17:44 »

there has not been a single world war since the development and initial deployment of the atomic bomb

there hasn't been a world war in 5000 years since the egyptians build the piramids either .
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #25 on: 2004-11-02, 17:55 »

Gameskeeper: what the hell are you talking about?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: