2024-04-29, 17:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Draft Bill Dead  (Read 10590 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2004-10-06, 23:25 »

http://www.thelouisvillechannel.com/politi...582/detail.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,134546,00.html
http://www.bet.com/News/draftbill.htm?wbc_...77E4249C5FB7%7D
http://usmilitary.about.com/b/a/2004_10_06.htm

As you can see, the "Big Bad Republicans" aren't going to draft anyone.  Besides that, the bill was introduced by two Democrats, and Rangel, the Democrat who created it in the first place, even voted against it.  I'm hoping everyone can see this was nothing but an election year political stunt.  I said it would be DOA and so it is.  Now everyone go tell their anti-war friends that a largely Republican congress voted it down, nobody's getting drafted, and not to worry about it.  Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2004-10-07, 15:45 »

Anyone who follows politics and actually knows what they are talking about knew this was a crock. I think alot of people knew it was a crock too it was just politically convenient for then to claim the evil republicans were conspiring to bring back the draft. (its a good way to get ignorant but idealistic youthes to vote democrat)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2004-10-07, 15:58 »

you have some fun over there.

hey, I hear you even have weapns of mass distruction.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-07, 15:59 by shambler » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-10-07, 17:33 »

Quote from: Woodsman
Anyone who follows politics and actually knows what they are talking about knew this was a crock.
Well the problem is a lot of people DON'T follow up on stuff they hear.    While you and I have known full well this bill would die in the House, all they hear is "They're bringing back the Draft!" from their friends, or via some email chainletter, and they get all panic stricken and angry.  Besides the college students and other younglings, think of all the "Soccer Moms" out there who get and send chainletters, worrying about their kids getting plucked up and shipped off overseas, and you can see how this sort of thing snowballs.

shambler:  I AM a weapon of mass destruction!  Fear me!
 :rules:

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2004-10-07, 20:45 »

Thumbs up!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-10-07, 21:18 »

Well the problem is a lot of people DON'T follow up on stuff they hear.

The real problem, I think, is that a lot of people don't follow up on stuff they hear, unless it's about
<political group/race/brand/nationality>. It's a one-sided deal usually. Pope-lovers will believe
M. Jackson is the devil, but they'll never believe someone accusing the pope to be senile. The sad part is that even though this is a very logical and common thing, hardly anyone admits their guilt.

So, just for a change (and to give this thread some varying content), I will stand up for common sense once more. If it was a nation, and had a flag, I would have been waving it here, or something proud and ceremonial like that.

I, C. Zimmerman, AKA A. Tabun, am biased and automatically doubt everything that opposes the convictions that have lodged/wedged in my brain and daily patterns of thought. I promise to keep fighting against it, and to keep an open mind and shall eventually free myself from the shackles of single-mindedness, ignorance and bias, or die trying.

There. I've said it. Guilty as charged.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-07, 21:20 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-10-08, 03:54 »

Quote from: Tabun
Pope-lovers will believe
M. Jackson is the devil, but they'll never believe someone accusing the pope to be senile.
When I read this I had to re-read it, as the way that's worded gramatically it's ambiguous as to whether you're saying that the people who were accusing the pope (of something ) were senile persons, or that the pope could be senile and those accusing him of senility were not believed by those who love the pontiff.  Wonderful thing, that English language.  <3

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-10-08, 12:57 »

Hehe, well oh dear, you got me! :]
I'll assume the point, which is valid, understood - even in the light of this grammar-1on1.

Btw, don't mistake this for sincere melodrama, I just like to 'rant' in style every once and again. But then again, whatever could I say to convince anyone, eh?  It'd be like trying to convince Makou that I actually did chatkill him by accident :]
« Last Edit: 2004-10-08, 13:03 by Tabun » Logged

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2004-10-08, 17:54 »

This was supposed to be about me gloating to the whiney lefitists conspiracy theorists and you ruined it with your jibberish tab! DAMN YOU!! Big Gun
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-10-08, 19:07 »

Thanks for stressing my point, Woods :] Slipgate - Shifty
« Last Edit: 2004-10-08, 19:08 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-10-08, 20:22 »

Tab:  Referring to your reference to the IRC conversation last night, I understood it to be humorous/satirical melodrama, as opposed to the "woe is me" form of melodrama.  When people speak of ranting it usually brings to mind the LeeMon "serious rant" style of ranting.  Slipgate - Smirk

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-10-09, 13:30 »

Understood - come to think of it, the first word that pops in mind when reading 'rant' is 'Lee' :]

Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #12 on: 2004-10-26, 00:24 »

Quote from: shambler
you have some fun over there.

hey, I hear you even have weapns of mass distruction.
We've had them since 1945. We also haven't done anything but lock them away in underground silos since 1945. And the two times we did use them it was because it was the only way to defeat Japan without losing millions of lives on both sides.
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #13 on: 2004-10-26, 00:26 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Quote from: Tabun
Pope-lovers will believe
M. Jackson is the devil, but they'll never believe someone accusing the pope to be senile.
<font color=#FFFF00>When I read this I had to re-read it, as the way that's worded gramatically it's ambiguous as to whether you're saying that the people who were accusing the pope (of something ) were senile persons, or that the pope could be senile and those accusing him of senility were not believed by those who love the pontiff.  Wonderful thing, that English language.  <3
The Pope is a senile old vegetable.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2004-10-26, 07:15 »

Careful there.  You'll have to grow old someday, and you just might be senile when you do.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2004-10-26, 12:25 »

Woah. I can't believe someone in here just tried to justify the use of nuclear weaponry and insult the pope.

Pick one of the two, they don't go well together Slipgate - Tongue

And Pho, the big difference (I hope, anyway!), is that Woolie won't be making futile attempts to remain respectable as a religious leader, whilst being driven around in bulletproof  pope-mobiles. Slipgate - Wink
An admirable attempt though, very much so indeed.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-26, 12:26 by Tabun » Logged

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2004-10-26, 14:11 »

okay lets get this out of the way.The pope has not lost his mind or his memory hes just very weak and old. He also did not ride around in the bullet proof pope mobile until somebody shot him.

PS: anybody with any vauge knowledge of the situation in Japan in 1945 knows an invasion of Japan would have cost far far more lives any debate of that is just stupid.  Slipgate - Off Topic
« Last Edit: 2004-10-26, 14:15 by Woodsman » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #17 on: 2004-10-26, 16:01 »

Religion is a weapon of mass destruction
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #18 on: 2004-10-26, 16:17 »

based on the actions of the soviet union and the peoples republic of china i could  say the same thing about atheism. Any belief structure can be a weapon of mass destruction if properly exploited.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-26, 16:41 by Woodsman » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2004-10-26, 17:21 »

Atheism, yes, perhaps. But there's no way it'd work for Agnostics. If it would, they wouldn't be, simple as that.

P.S. I did not make any comment about the pope's presumed senility, but weak and old goes without saying. Nor do I care much for the reasons why he uses the mobile, my point was merely that it is hard to take the good man seriously this way.

P.P.S. See, Woolie? Woodsman shows one can either agree on only one, or none of those statements  ;]
« Last Edit: 2004-10-26, 17:37 by Tabun » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: