2024-04-20, 00:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: santa banned from christmas?  (Read 10837 times)
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2004-11-09, 22:06 »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,31-2004...4521066,00.html

Yes, I know it's the sun, but it's amusing nonetheless.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #1 on: 2004-11-10, 01:59 »

Why not just ban Christmas? Doom - Huh?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-11-10, 03:48 »

They already have.  It's now the "Holiday Season".  "Merry Christmas" has been replaced with "Happy Holidays" most everywhere for fear of offending those who would raise no protest.  Santa Claus, reindeer, elves and toys are fine, so are feasts of food and draughts of eggnog, but the historical Saint Nicholas has been erased from the memories of all save for the a small portion of the Catholic devout, and the babe born in a manger for whom this day was named has been all but forgotten.  Everyone is so concerned with not offending anyone that even the meaning of the word "holiday", which has it's root in the word "holy" has been forgotten as well.  Diversity is killed in the name of diversity, and the dull homogeonization of humanity that's left yearns in endless want for memory of better days.  Like milk without the cream, this tolerable mundanity is fit for consumption but lacks in all manner of sweetness.

So during this season, I will say the following to everyone in turn:

Merry Christmas
Happy Ramadan
Happy Hannukah
Happy Kwanza
Happy New Year
Merry Yule

And may whatever God, god(s), goddess(es), or other divine beings that you worship or otherwise pay homage to, whether real or imagined, grant their blessings to you this year, and if it offends some sniveling whiner somewhere I'll raise a toast of pomegranate juice to that.
« Last Edit: 2004-11-10, 03:49 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-11-10, 06:53 »

I respect all holidays...except Kwanza.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-11-10, 10:26 »

I almost forgot Thanksgiving, which also has religious roots in that the settlers were giving thanks to God for a bountiful harvest in their new home and the peaceful relationship they enjoyed with the natives at the time.

Oh, and do a bird a favor.  Everyone eat HAM this Thanksgiving!

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-11-10, 13:43 »

you mean , eat spam ?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2004-11-10, 14:19 »

spam is ham and pork shoulder.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-11-11, 07:07 »

bleh, not a big fan of pork :b.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2004-11-11, 11:21 »

then try lamb .

anyway pho , don't wurry , we don't even know thanksgiving here .
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2004-11-11, 23:37 »

probably because thanksgiving is an American holiday.

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #10 on: 2004-11-12, 09:56 »

The whole having santa banned, just because it may offend some cultures

the whole idea of christmas is Catholic / Christian origin and therefore

and other religon's shouldn't be able to force it's ideals on another  Slipgate - Sad

soon it will make the whole notion of christmas meaningless  Slipgate - Shouting

it's even happening here in good old blighty
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-11-12, 12:02 »

The meaning of everything is lost when it's suppressed simply because people don't want to deal with it.  You have a bunch of selfish whiners who don't like specific religions or religion in general who are forcing their will on others so that "they don't have to see it when they go out in public."  Diversity and tolerance means accepting people regardless of their beliefs or celebrations, and being able to coexist with such things even if you do not believe in or practice them.  It does not mean systematically exterminating all presense of religion within culture, but that is exactly what's going on.

To me it comes down to this:  If you don't believe something, fine, don't believe it, but don't go around cramming your godlessness down the throats of everyone else who believes in something.  We won't force our religion on you, so don't force your atheism on us.  If you can't stand the sight of elements of belief systems that differ from your own or, God forbid, that people who work in business and government can and do have diverse religious beliefs and feel they have a right to practice their beliefs, then you are nothing but an intolerant bigot.  Grow a spine and stop your whining.  Let's celebrate diversity instead of abolishing it for a change.

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #12 on: 2004-11-12, 14:11 »

Well put

I'm an Atheist myself

and would never dream of effecting anybody elses beliefs

if your a religious sort, fine.

personally i find all the diversities that religion brings fasinating, i may not believe.

but the world would be a much darker and grimer place without the people that do

so come on people, stand up for your religon, do not let it get trashed and forgotton

or you'll have let those trying to destroy it, win

is that seriously what you want ?

because christmas wouldn't be chrsitmas without seeing strange men dressed as Father Christmas / Santa Claus and there usually attractive female helpers with stick on pointy ears

A Vote for Religon to stay is a Vote for Christmas, so come on we can't let the bureucrats win  Slipgate - Ownage
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2004-11-12, 19:16 »

Sounds like we can get along just fine.  Thumbs up!

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2004-11-12, 19:55 »

believe whatever you want , as long as it doesnt affect me , I don't care .
« Last Edit: 2004-11-12, 20:56 by games keeper » Logged
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #15 on: 2004-11-14, 02:00 »

since noone said it yet.. happy chrismahanakwanzika  Slipgate - Grin
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2004-11-14, 15:16 »

Was it santa claus  that said 'you can't please all the people all the time'?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2004-11-29, 17:04 »

How about those people you can't please ever?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/26/neighborh...h.ap/index.html

MONTE SERENO, California (AP) -- For six years, Alan and Bonnie Aerts transformed their Silicon Valley home into a Christmas wonderland, complete with surfing Santa, jumbo candy canes and a carol-singing chorus of mannequins....

...The exhibition's death knell came last year, when the Nguyens collected 90 signatures of protest from residents, and the city council voted to require a permit for any exhibit lasting longer than three days.

Mayor Erin Garner voted against it, saying he thought the Aertses provided a community service.

So what's next, banning flags on Memorial day because non-citizens might get offended?  Let's all live in cookie-cutter apartments with no individuality, everyone just a clone of everyone else, nobody expressing any opinion for fear of offending someone else...  I could go on, but you could just go pick up a copy of George Orwell's 1984 and see the kind of social system that's evolving all on its own - WITHOUT needing the help of any "Big Brother".  It seems society is all too eager to embrace such a homogeonization of enforced dullness without any outside interference.[/color]

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #18 on: 2004-12-01, 20:03 »

Here's a good anecdote for you all...I think you might find inspirational..

When I was signing up for my classes here at Stan State I was playing Counter Strike (I know I know, I was bored:P). Anyway...I was sitting in a corner, screen faced away from everyone because I thought it would be a courtesy not show all this grotesque violence to everyone around me.  Yet, I was amiss, for lo and behold comes this young lady to look over my shoulder. I did not mind, for she was a very beautiful specimen whom I would have allowed to come closer if she wished., however she spoke, ruining her intrigue with me. She said, "Violent video games offend me," and expected me to promptly turn it off.  At that moment I wanted to make her cry. Cry did I want her to do.  But alas, I decided to be a smart ass instead. Rather then promptly closing my laptop, I promptly gave her a reply. "Your very existance offends me." Then lo, she found herself leaving my area of gaming and there was much rejoicing.  Yea verily.

Now the moral of this little facade. These people are not offended, they are just looking to control other people. That, my friends, is the reason for this blantent moronery. Thank you.

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2004-12-01, 23:32 »

Quote from: DaMan McDeth 666
Now the moral of this little facade. These people are not offended, they are just looking to control other people. That, my friends, is the reason for this blantent moronery. Thank you.
:!: WELL PUT!! Thumbs up!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: