2024-04-18, 14:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Godbless mindless distractions  (Read 7925 times)
Bat

Lost Soul

« on: 2004-12-19, 22:56 »

I've not felt very well this weekend but i found time to finish quake3 start to finish on hardcore. Sarcasm aside it was not easy, it was really hard. I suppose this doesnt help my case for "not using arena all the time in gen"  Slipgate - Smirk

It might sound weird but i dont feel like im practising playing with others , i guess training for me is more of a solo thing. Pity single player is nothing like multiplayer huh?

ah well i feel accomplished

Sort of a pointless topic for an online forum but has anyone else done single player gen games (wolfenstien, doom, q1,2,3?) on really hard settings? i'd be interested in knowing  Slipgate - Laugh
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2004-12-19, 23:27 »

Nice one. I never finished Quake 3 single player, due to finding a new game to play, which took over. (how many times have I done that?)

I'll lend you team arena next, now I've got you addicted to Genarations.

BTW I only finished Q1 and mission packs and Q2 and 2 mission packs on high settings.

If you get bored try Q1 with the reaper bot on co-op play. You play the game, but theres a mad man chasing you around to kill you as well as all the monsters!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-12-19, 23:30 »

I play every game on the hardest setting short of any kind of "Nightmare" setting.  Here's my Id lineup:

Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny - Death Incarnate
Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom - Ultra-Violence
Quake - Hard
Quake 2, Reckoning, Ground Zero - Hard
Quake 3 Arena - Hard

The games I've beaten that have a "nightmare" setting are Wing Commander III, Wing Commander IV, and Quake.  Some other FPS games I've played:

Tron 2.0 - Hard
Shadow Warrior - Hard
Duke Nukem 3D - Hard
Trespasser - Hard
Heretic - Black Plague Possesses Thee
Hexen, Death Kings of the Dark Citadel - Berserker(Fighter), Cardinal(Cleric), Warlock(Mage)
Hexen II - Paladin, Crusader, Assassin, Necromancer - Hard.
Half-Life, Opposing Force, Blue Shift - Hard.
Unreal - Hard
Serious Sam, Serious Sam:  The Second Encounter - Serious

There's a lot more but I forget the skill level names for some of them.  I like to beat every game on its hardest skill short of any kind of "nightmare" mode, unless the nightmare mode is somewhat reasonable.  Doom's "nightmare" mode is unwinnable owing to the respawning monsters, though one of these days I'll get around to playing it with -fast.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Bat

Lost Soul

« Reply #3 on: 2004-12-20, 15:48 »

Very, very cool - i am way to lazy for all that

I will do Quake and probly q2 though, maybe doom but yeh nightmare is only for godmode and stress relief i think!
 Big Gun
Bat

Lost Soul

« Reply #4 on: 2004-12-20, 15:51 »

*re-reads list*

Duke!?

Hail
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-12-20, 16:05 »

Never felt like playing Doom on nightmare, just wasn't addict enough.
I've played all the quakes on the hardest settings though.
Quake3 on nightmare is a bitch, and it took me ages to get Xaero that way, but I'm sure it'll be easier with my current equipment.

The funny thing is, bots are easy in Q3A. Gen features some serious improvements to the bots, making them harder to play (ie. play Gen vs bots on nightmare, if you feel like training solo) -- ofcourse, the bots still won't be able to make good use of all the weapons, so it won't be TOO hard either.

Still, I have to say: there's no training like online training. Other people dodge in entirely different ways, and you may develop habits that work miracles versus bots, and are practically suicide attempts vs human players...

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #6 on: 2004-12-20, 19:17 »

Quote from: Phoenix
I
There's a lot more but I forget the skill level names for some of them.  I like to beat every game on its hardest skill short of any kind of "nightmare" mode, unless the nightmare mode is somewhat reasonable.  Doom's "nightmare" mode is unwinnable owing to the respawning monsters, though one of these days I'll get around to playing it with -fast.
Wrong! Doom on nightmare is NOT impossible. Here is a demo of Hennin Skogsto beating Doom on Nightmare in 37 minutes and 53 seconds. However, it is extremely difficult and was never done until about 1997 or so.
« Last Edit: 2004-12-20, 19:20 by Woolie Wool » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-12-20, 19:41 »

Nightmare mode in Doom is a freaking blast if you play it co-op!

I usually don't play games on their hardest preset level - I like to match up against other players to define what difficult is =]
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-12-20, 22:21 »

Woolie:  I could record a perfect demo of me railing a Nightmare Xaero repeatedly on Q3tourney6 without missing a single shot, without dying once, and without getting hit once, and with all the moves looking real and not like they've been timescaled if I set my mind to it.  I could also recompile the Doom source to make it run at a lower framerate so I could record a demo that would play back at normal speeds but look like I did it "the hard way".  What's the point?  What does it prove?

Sure, I could play Doom over and over, reload after reload, inch by inch and actually win Nightmare mode, but I'm not that masochistic.  I enjoy a good challenge, but I'd only do something like that as a penance.  Besides, I'm more of the "kill all the monsters, find all the secrets" kind of player myself.  If I can't end a level on 100% kills, 100% items, 100% secrets, I roam the level until I can.  This is one thing I despise about a lot of the newer games - No end of level recap!

Bat

Lost Soul

« Reply #9 on: 2004-12-21, 10:57 »

yeah i like to kill all the monsters, not so bothered about the items or secrets though
Go 2 it is hilarious on nightmare!! i've done it on the easiest setting - but i still had to reload a bunch of times (hmm that was a long time ago, maybe i should give it another shot?)

Xearo on Nightmare!!!!??? i scared of even loading that. even on hardcore he took about 0.5 of a second to rail you. Same way i cant understand the vastness of the universe, i cant imagine how he could be more accurate and deadly!?
i've started Q1 and 2 on hard - both of which i have actually never fully completed on normal because i got bored Slipgate - Grin
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2004-12-21, 13:16 »

BTW , the movie is a fake . in level 29 the most obvious of them all is when doom is running on the stairs , he gets hit and , his screen turns red and YOU HERE HIM SCREAM LIKE WHEN HE DIES , next moment the screen turns back to normal and he has 27 health left .

with other words , the guy who made that movie did that part 2 times and made the movie fit into eachother .
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #11 on: 2004-12-21, 20:26 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Woolie:  I could record a perfect demo of me railing a Nightmare Xaero repeatedly on Q3tourney6 without missing a single shot, without dying once, and without getting hit once, and with all the moves looking real and not like they've been timescaled if I set my mind to it.  I could also recompile the Doom source to make it run at a lower framerate so I could record a demo that would play back at normal speeds but look like I did it "the hard way".  What's the point?  What does it prove?

Sure, I could play Doom over and over, reload after reload, inch by inch and actually win Nightmare mode, but I'm not that masochistic.  I enjoy a good challenge, but I'd only do something like that as a penance.  Besides, I'm more of the "kill all the monsters, find all the secrets" kind of player myself.  If I can't end a level on 100% kills, 100% items, 100% secrets, I roam the level until I can.  This is one thing I despise about a lot of the newer games - No end of level recap!
Um, COMPET-N demos are recorded with the original doom2.exe. And they can tell if it was a sourceport or not. If you do cheat, they'll know, your demo won't be put up, and your name will forever be synonymous with "cheater".

gameskeeper: If you die at the same time you hit a level-end line, you'll start the next level with 100 health and a pistol. If he started with 27 health, he must've run into a medikit and a couple of health bonuses while his corpse was sliding. You can even die in map30 when the Icon of Sin explodes and YOU STILL WIN. Doom has a quirk in that you can pick up health even when you die.
« Last Edit: 2004-12-21, 20:30 by Woolie Wool » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-12-21, 22:16 »

*shrugs*

I've not watched the demo, doubt I will because I have about zero interest, but if what Games said is true it sounds awfully fishy to me.  It's too easy to fake stuff these days for me to really care.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2004-12-23, 10:45 »

no healthpacks ot whatever on that part of the stairs .
Bat

Lost Soul

« Reply #14 on: 2004-12-24, 13:40 »

quake 2 on hard? np

What happened? im playing q1 on hard as well and the 1st episode is harder then the entire of q2 on hard

oh well onto the next one
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: