2024-04-19, 16:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: .99f bugs  (Read 9285 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2005-02-06, 19:48 »

If you find bugs with .99f, post them here and we'll get them fixed for 1.0.  Please be sure you've read the manual (located in your generations folder) as well as our posting guidlines for bug reporting.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-02-08, 18:41 »

There's three that have shown up so far that I'm aware of.  One is mildly annoying, the other two are negligible.

1)  Running out of ammo with weapons that share ammo can sometimes switch to the empty gun.  Best thing to do is just press fire until you get a good weapon.  For some reason this never showed up during beta testing.  I know what's causing it, and I'll make it go away in the next version.

2)  If you record a demo, it's supposed to auto-terminate at level end so it won't try to load the next map.  Instead it's trying to load the next map, then terminating after caching all the models.    To get around this in existing demos, just hit "Esc" when the timelimit or fraglimit hits to return to the main menu.

3)  If you watch a demo from a player's perspective, you'll see the dreaded "This model cannot be used for this class.  Forcing default."  Message.  This is a result of the fix for the live play spam bug, and it only shows up during demo playback when the person you're following dies.  This is NOT happening in live play unless you actually try to pick a model that can't be used for a specified class (which is when it's supposed to do that).

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #2 on: 2005-02-27, 04:48 »

O.K... find sfome thing better to do with your time then.

nuff said. :rules:

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #3 on: 2005-02-27, 04:50 »

Doom - Huh?  oops wrong place. sorry for the double post folks. Mean't for the "banned ones".

« Reply #4 on: 2005-03-31, 22:19 »

One thing that is super annoying is... let's say I'm a Slipgater, I have the RL, I'm chasing down a dude when a SSG spawns and then I switch from the super strong RL to the hard to weild SSG. Then the dude come from nowhere and pops me in the head. I could turn autoswitch off, but then I'll be fighting dudes with the boomstick, not knowing I have a huge arsenal of weapons at my disposal from all the guys I dropped.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #5 on: 2005-03-31, 22:32 »

That's not a bug so much as basic Q3A behavior -- it doesn't have a weighted weapon system in the way Quake and QW did. For now, I'd recommend turning autoswitch off, learning to be aware of what you do and don't have at your disposal, and learning how to flip through your weapons on the fly. That's what everybody else does, at the moment.

I do believe that a kind of "weighted" system is something that we want to implement for 1.0. However, we're working on other... let's say more important things right now. But we know this concern exists, and we'll be attempting to do something about it in the future. Thumbs up!

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-04-05, 15:40 »

Aye.  The burden of choosing the right gun to fight with ultimately falls on the player, but we'll do what we can to make the process easier than what it currently is.

Rob

« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-05, 08:16 »

Ok I just DL'ed this program earlier today and I have a problem, everytime I try to load a map just to run around and look at it, I get a Hunk Allocation error, even when I load up the default Q3 maps...  what's the problem?  Seems like it works very well for other people, why not me?  Also It should be noted that basic Quake 3 Arena by itself, even with high poly models and weaponry, runs smooth as silk.

Is there anything at all that can be done to aid my issue of the moment?  I only DL'ed this today because I just got Broadband.

If there is any issue with my computer config,
     Here are the base specs for my quasi antique P.O.S.-
AMD Duron 1.1Ghz Processor
512 SDram
2 Harddrives, a 10 GB and a 20 GB
GeForce FX5200 256DDR Video card
Soundblaster Live 5.1 soundcard
Windows 98SE Operating System
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-05, 08:19 »

First, a question: Are you trying to run Generations through Quake 3's mods menu, or from a shortcut in Windows?

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2005-05-05, 10:14 »

You need to allocate more memory for the game to run. Q3 needs less, so check the manual and it shows you what to do. Easy and only takes 2 minutes.

Once ypu've done this it should run well on your system.

(I'm not an expert, but I'm probubly the only one awake at this time!)
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2005-05-05, 15:08 »

Rob: Slipgate - RTFMSlipgate - RTFMSlipgate - RTFM
Rob

« Reply #11 on: 2005-05-05, 18:06 »

Well I've tried running it both ways...  it crashes either way.  I know I've got the memory for this, I actually can run DooM3 fairly smooth to a point on this antique, so any kind of mod for Quake 3 should not be a problem at all.
Rob

« Reply #12 on: 2005-05-05, 18:21 »

Alright.....  I tried the Hunk Meg trick...  I got further, this time it loaded up 100% and then locked my computer completely up.  What is going on?  I'm about ready to say to hell with Quake 3 mods alltogether.  This is the one I've been wanting to see for over a year now and now that I've DL'ed it...  I can't play it?  WTF?!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2005-05-05, 19:13 »

Whoa, easy there, we're here to help!  First, let's explore a few things.

What version did you download?  You can check Gen's versions by looking at your list of PK3's.  If you can load to Gen's main console you should see it in the lower right corner.  It should say "beta version 0.99f".  If it says 0.99e, you need to download the .99f patch.  This must be installed over top of .99e.  .99f automatically sets a minimum hunkmegs value of 128 for you, so you should not get a hunkmegs error with .99f.  Setting it higher (if possible) is recommended, but you shouldn't need anything higher than 256.  Some machines also won't respond too well to settings of 256 or higher for some reason.  Mine is one of them.  Others seem to do ok.

If you're "freezing" at any point during the load process, which point is it?  If it's sitting at "awaiting snapshot" it will load into the level, but it'll take an additional minute to do so and will appear to have frozen the computer.  I'd recommend enabling compressed textures if this happens.  I recommend enabling compressed textures no matter what you do.  This solves this problem over 99% of the time, and speeds up performance overall with no loss of visual quality.  Gen takes quite a long time to load all the media if you're running r_picmip 0 (like I do), but you should be able to go from "Awaiting Snapshot" to actual gameplay in just a few seconds with compressed textures enabled.  The media load can take betweeen 15 and 45 seconds, depending on your graphics settings and whether they're optimized for speed or quality.

Last, have you checked the troubleshooting section of the manual?  I wrote that myself, and I'm the lead coder on the project.  I've tried to cover every possible scenario that could cause Gen to not function correctly.  Check it out, try some tweaks, and see if they help.  If not, provide as much information as you can here and I'll do my best to get you up and running.
Thumbs up!

Rob

« Reply #14 on: 2005-05-05, 20:42 »

Yeah, got a little carried away.  I haven't used compressed textures in Q3 since my first Vidcard, a 32MB Rage Fury Pro card.  I checked all the tweaks and everything, and I've gotten some of the custom levels I've DL'ed recently to work.  Last shot will be turning on compressed textures.  Last time I used it though, the ingame models didn't look right.  Then again, that was a very long time ago too.  Thanks for the assist.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2005-05-06, 04:54 »

I don't think it should cause any problems.  I've noticed no adverse effects in either Gen or Q3 by using it, but I think a lot will depend on your video card and driver support.

Bug Report:  Offhand hook does not render the grapple trail.  We found this out in tonight's Slipgate Lithium-style game.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: