2024-03-29, 09:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom movie: Done?  (Read 6577 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2005-03-04, 10:22 »

According to Shacknews, the Doom movie that most of us thought would never get done (or at least hoped would never get done after some recent revelations on the 'plot') is, well, done.

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?comments=35986

I'm so scared
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DOOM_er

Light Guard

« Reply #1 on: 2005-03-04, 12:44 »

Yeah, I read about those 'plot changes'... bastards! Bastards. :~(
I'm afraid that if I go see the movie, I'll need years of therapy to get over it, so I probably won't see it (and certainly not pay to see it). I can't believe they messed up something that could have been so great, again! >:(
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2005-03-04, 15:17 »

'Tis a sad, sad time in the world of Doomers...

The world of video game movies will never be complete until they make a movie out of Sim City.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-04, 15:17 by Footman » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-03-07, 09:53 »

I'll see it, just to make up my own mind, but I'm not holding my breath for anything good.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
mecha

Shambler

« Reply #4 on: 2005-03-07, 11:49 »

Quote from: Phoenix
I'll see it, just to make up my own mind, but I'm not holding my breath for anything good.
The Rock says "know your role and shut your mouth, jabroni."

or else The Rock will layeth the smacketh downeth on your candy ass.  Sipgate - Evil

j/k

I dunno.... should be interesting, considering it should've been done in 1996 and was supposed to star Tom Berenger.  Slipgate - Smile
YicklePigeon

Ogre

« Reply #5 on: 2005-03-07, 19:09 »

This just screams "Gotta think box office!".

Let's put it this way: if this film tanks, the Doom franchise gets tarnished forever.  If the film is actually good, we get a whole starship loads of newbies going "LOLOLOL WHY IS TEH DOOM GAMES NOT LIKE FILM LOLOLOLOMGWTFLOL!111!" and the veterans start packing up and leaving for the next solar system.

That's all I have to say until the film is released.

Regards,

Yickle.
DOOM_er

Light Guard

« Reply #6 on: 2005-03-07, 19:23 »

Even though it may turn out to be a good movie in itself, it will never be a good DOOM movie! At least not if the storyline alterations (mutilations) I've read on the Internet are true, which include:

a) Doesn't take place on Mars, but on some other planet.
b) Has nothing to do with Hell, instead the monsters and zombies are the result of some virus or something.
c) The movie is about some kind of S.W.A.T. team instead of Space Marines.
d) No UAC in the movie.
e) BFG is renamed to "Bio Force Gun", and famous DOOM monsters such as the Demon, the Baron of Hell and several others are played by human characters, and given uncreative names like "Pinky" and "Goat" and "Baron".
f) Who knows what else...

Of course, these are just things I read on the Internet, but even if only some of 'em are true I'd see the movie more as a 'cool (possibly) movie which happens to have DOOM in the title' than really as "DOOM the movie". Oh well, we'll see I guess.
YicklePigeon

Ogre

« Reply #7 on: 2005-03-07, 19:43 »

Marty: All we need now, is some Pig Cops with "L.A.R.D." written on the back of their shirts...especially with a character called "Duke" in the film.

There was something that Bryan Singer said on the X-Men 1.5 DVD commentary, (paraphrasing here)  that to go against the rich tapestry that had been created would have been disastrous.  Not exact wording at all, but the point is the same.  Note that in the interviews, Tom Desanto said that the core X-Men fan would bring 10 friends and not only did the core X-Men fan go away happy - the 10 friends did as well!

The only reason I saw the original whilst it was in the theatres is because of word of mouth saying it is pretty good.  If you want to see a practical example of how NOT to make a movie based upon an existing successful franchise, take a look at the third Thunderbirds film.  That's right, the one directed by Frakes.  No, that isn't the first Thunderbirds film, that honour belongs to  "Thunderbirds Are Go!" (1966) and the second being "Thunderbird 6" (1968)

Regards,

Yickle.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2005-03-07, 20:21 »

I loved those 2 early thunderbirds films.  Just don't mention the batman films from about the same time.

Slipgate - Off Topic
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2005-03-09, 07:10 »

Well, the internet rumors have not been confirmed yet in any official capacity, at least if they have been I've not seen it.  All we have is one site reposting something from a .cz domain news site, and everyone is acting as if this is what's going to be in the movie.  Now, it could very well be, in which case I can see this seriously sucking, but I'm not ready to buy into the rumor mill just yet.  I'm still in the "wait and see" mode.

Yickle:  Even if the movie turns out to be dumbass, or brings a bunch of dumbass CS-mentality players into the Doom realm, I'm not hanging up my chainsaw any time soon.  It's just fresh meat for the slaughter as far as I'm concerened.

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #10 on: 2005-03-09, 10:55 »

Noooooo Not a Doom Movie

who remembers such flops as Resident Evil, Super Mario Bros and the dross that was Street Fighter and the Horrendous Mortal Kombat Movies

this doesn't bode well

The BFG

Shouldn't be called Bio Force Gun

as we all know what BFG stands for and it certainly isn't that

No Mars
No Hell
No Space Marines
No Proper Daemons

Is it me or does this even sound like Doom

as it sure as hell bears no resemblence to the game i know and love

you know as well the'll do quake next

that will probably have

No Slipgates
No Gothic Feel
No Shaft
and No Orges, they just be big guys that have been mutated due to a virus,

Pls Leave the Id Games Alone Film Makers they don't deserve to be B*****dised
YicklePigeon

Ogre

« Reply #11 on: 2005-03-09, 17:24 »

Just to clarify, I got my information from Imdb.com - I just hope they didn't get their information from that .cz news site or the great unwashed.

Regards,

Yickle.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2005-03-09, 17:34 »

In a related note, I gave Alone in the Dark (2005) a viewing yesterday (expecting, and seeing, crap).
It was a futuristic action movie in a military type setting. It had no mystery, no suspension and it was certainly not horror. Now, I've played a few AitD's, and I recall the general atmosphere to be one of timelessness, solitude, mystery, creepy (sometimes horrific) and about the occult. Just be thankful it isn't the team that's making Doom!

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2005-03-09, 17:35 »

Most of what I've seen has been reposted from the quote of the original .cz article.  I'm not saying it can't be true, only that I've not seen anything official so far except for the fact that The Rock and Karl Urban are both in it.  If someone has an article that cites an official press release from the publisher then please, post it so we can confirm this!  :!:
« Last Edit: 2005-03-09, 17:36 by Phoenix » Logged

YicklePigeon

Ogre

« Reply #14 on: 2005-03-09, 17:53 »

Over at www.doomworld.com there is a leaked (publicity?) photo of the Doom movie characters. There is also a link to a GameSpot interview with The Rock.

According to the Universal Pictures website, Doom is now under the "coming soon" list and a website devoted to it is pending.  However, no plot details have been forthcoming in the synopsis of the film at this time.

Regards,

Yickle.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-09, 18:03 by YicklePigeon » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: