2024-05-01, 14:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Colleges Liberal?  (Read 18938 times)
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #40 on: 2005-04-04, 23:33 »

I like this discussion alot, it doen't annoy me at all. and you make great arguements Slipgate - Smirk
I have gained some truth from your arguments, so I would gladly like to proceed.  Slipgate - Smile

Okay to clear things up about the article that I quoted, I want to know, is that justice? Is that right? Are we really a "Free Thinking Society"? Or are we fascist against ethics that were taught many a year ago? What I ment is being Chisrtian, is contraversal., tell me why was it not fifty years ago? Why the debate over prove over every thing when the evidence is in ink in the Bible. One other interesting thing I might add, is the Bible says that we [Chistrians] are abolished "to give prove". The problem being is that people want direct proof in the palm of their hands. They need to open their eyes more and think wisely.

And about my usage of wise. To understand and apply the truth to themselves and others.
Example: there are 2 students. One has an IQ of 80 one has an IQ of 140. Now there is a big final coming up in history class. The smarter person decides not to study, take notes, and thinks that he can get by with brains alone. Now the not so smart person knows this final is huge for their grade, so he takes notes, listens to the teacher, studies instead of going to that party. My guess is the person with the IQ of 80 is going to get a better grade then the person who has an IQ of 140. The difference is, that the less intelligent person has more wisdom then the smarter person, so tell me, who is really smarter? The message; intelect is the fool's gold, wisdom is priceless. Intelect is important, yes, but is not everything.

The ten commandments are factual in that they are noted and stored at some point in history. They can be read, they can be presented, they cannot be proven to be right.

Of course they can be proven right. Does there need to be proof that cheating on your spouse is wrong, how can I possibly prove that "You shall not commit adulty" is a factual and just? Prove to me that saying "please" and "thank you" is polite. Of course I could write a hundred page thesis paper analiyzing every pheasable concept and phycological theory, but it is pointless and blunt. Proving that stealing is not right, shouldn't even be asked for proof, it should be just accepted, If one has any wisdom and/or intelect, they would know why. Now I can understand that a couple commandments should be reguarded as such by an indevidual choice.

(I have no idea where you got the idea that this is the view I have, or that is somehow implied here :])

I was being a bit extreme, but proves my point just as effective. I don't think that is your view, but the way you said it, made me give that example.

It is not, however proof. Not to be harsh, but taking such a text and claiming it to describe and predict an exact happening or development is akin to taking a horoscope and claiming it to predict your day/month/life.
What makes it not proof? It is King James so it might seem sur-real, but that is what the message was ment to contain. You also must understand that people two-thousand years ago don't know anything about nuclear bombs, so some figerative lauguage had to be used to deliver a basic message about the apocolyse. It also says that some of the content is ment for future generations to understand. Explain why the Bible is accurate and consistant to many things in history, like nuclear bimbs, and scientists indirectly confirming it, I think that is a shread of a whole tapastry of proof the Bible presents, and P.S. horoscopes are just B.S. to begin with.   Sipgate - Evil

Quite frankly, what disturbs me the most is the belief that "If you think it is morally right, then I guess that is true for you." That is untrue in nature. You can't have multiple truths. What it says to me nis "You can live in your own fantasy world, and live by beliefs alone." I say snap out of it, we all live in the same world. You can't have it both ways.  It's a paradox, if you think about it. the truth is one truth. It is not an opinion, it is not a belief, it just is no matter what any theory or belief one has. Nothing can contradict it factualy. Fact is fact, black and white, no grey area.  We as a race must discover that, even if it does contradict a religion, or a beleif, but now I'm afraid it will never happen, that is why I mentioned wisdom, we are lost.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-04, 23:47 by Little Washu » Logged

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #41 on: 2005-04-04, 23:41 »

THE WORLD IS FLAT
CLASS OF 1491

Carry on.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #42 on: 2005-04-04, 23:46 »

Please, stop. In your eagerness to skip through my text, ignore core issues in my posts, yet again push your certainties upon my 'blunt' reasoning, you begin to literally repeat yourself and make the gravest of typing, spelling and grammatical errors, adding to my annoyance on an entirely new level.
Whereas I'm defending uncertainty, you feel I should give you proof, while at the same time you are defending certainty, claiming not to have to give any. Turning the world upside-down can be highly enjoyable, but to me this is not the right topic for it.

Hold that thought, reign the horses back in. I'm happy to know you have thoroughly enjoyed it - so have I, up until 3 or 4 posts ago. I'm not the person you seek for this kind of 'discussion', if you'd like, I could direct some acquaintances who are more into it to the thread, but like I said - I'm out, my purpose for posting in here has ended.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-04, 23:48 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #43 on: 2005-04-05, 00:36 »

I'm sorry. That depresses the life out of me. My aragonce has betrayed me. I have violated you and pick at you unknowingly. I wasn't trying to annoy you. I did not call your reasoning blunt. I described the idea as so. I didn't skip over key points in your post, I wanted to understand it. I'm a sensitive person, and now I am sadend, and it's my fault. I will stop. I don't want to be enemies. And I did say that I might be wrong, many a time. I feel like crap now, not your fault but, mine. I feel like I have unknowingly directed a malice twords annoying you, but I never indended so. I want to make it right. Please forgive me.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-05, 00:41 by Little Washu » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #44 on: 2005-04-05, 01:01 »

Whoah - no need for that.
You may have, to my opinion, violated my arguments, but not my person! Becoming enemies over a disagreement or even an incompatibility on an internet forum is not the kind of thing I'd like to do, and by no means were my posts intended - or yours understood - as such.

Yes, I do consider some of your statements to be arrogant (as you do mine, considering your fervor :]), but that does not make me feel or detect hostility. The same goes for my feelings in regards to a sloppy post - it induces annoyance, not personal dislike.

If you really feel saddened because of this, then I return the favor: I'm sorry for making it appear as though your messages somehow offended or hurt me personally. Your apology is accepted in regards to the combined bluntness of your previous message, but for nothing else, since no apologies are in order. I'm particularly touched by your brief and straightforward visit in #wirehead.

And, if you really feel you need to make something right for some reason, just correct as many spelling/typing errors from any future posts as possible, before clicking 'add reply'  - and be sure to let me know when I let slip too many for comfort. Slipgate - Smile

The end of (someone participating in) a forum thread is not the end of the world!
Soon, Phoenix will post a newsflash of two teenage hermaphrodite midgets assaulting a scantily clad German amazoness-impersonator with knitting needles, and we'll have some fresh material to argue over :]
« Last Edit: 2005-04-05, 01:03 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #45 on: 2005-04-05, 02:24 »

If only the news were so interesting.  Right now all they're covering is the passing of John Paul II.  Not that it is an unimportant event, I feel the loss as greatly as anyone, however there are still other events in the world that are of significance that should not be allowed to fly under the radar as a result.

Washu:  I understand what you feel, and I can relate to your zeal in "getting out the message".  However, you must understand that what you know and understand intrinsically is not translatable to someone else.  The person must come to this understanding through their own efforts and merits.  You need to slow down a bit, take a step back, and understand that not everyone has studied the bible and especially biblical prophecy in-depth.  They hardly teach prophetic subjects within churches filled with believers as it is, so can you expect the whole wide world to know what you're talking about point-for-point, item-for-item, right out the door?  Those kinds of discussions are much more meaningful in a live, personal setting like a private chat in IRC (so the whole channel doesn't go nuts), telephone call, or the like.  It also requires a firm and devoted interest among all parties concerned.  With no disrespect intented to Tabun, there's an expression that sums this up quite nicely.  "Never try to teach a pig to sing.  It wastes your time and annoys the pig."  You can't instruct someone who is not interested in that form of instruction.  I have faith that Tab will make up his own mind at the appropriate time in regards to such things.

It's also because of this fact that I tend to not engage in preaching on the forums.  It's not that I believe less, or that I'm personally uninterested in spreading the gospel or understanding of prophecy.  Anyone who asks me or is interested in the subject I will certainly answer truthfully with whatever knowledge I may have.  It's just too difficult to really discuss in this setting, and it tends to draw away from the topic at hand.  To be fair on this, I routinely chastise people like dev/null for turning every topic that has religious elements included within the discussion into an anti-Christian attack platform.  I have to do the same in this case, to ask you in a friendly manner not to turn every discussion that includes religious elements into an opportunity to preach or argue in defense of the validity of Christianity when no attack on that validity has been presented.  I offer the emphasis to clarify this.  By all means, if someone comes out bashing Christianity, I'll be the first to flock to the defense rigth there along side you.  Tabun here does not go out of his way to attack anything.  Don't mistake his unique approach to things for hostility.  Remember, he's Dutch, hostility isn't generally in their nature. Slipgate - Wink

Let me explain an observation of mine of this situation.  Forgive me while I speak about both of you in the third person for a moment:

Washu is zealous and excited about his faith, and loves his God, Christianity, and the gospel very much.  Therefore, he has a desire to share his understanding with others, and unfortunately has a tendency to get ahead of himself, putting the cart before the horse as it were.  He's outgoing and likes to speak exhuberantly about what he loves.  Washu is certain of what he believes and feels and is comfortable with that certainty.

Tabun is laid back, reserved, and extremely analytical.  He has a cool head, never rushes to judgement, and is very difficult to pursuade in any manner.  He loves to challenge anyone's deeply held convictions as part of his method of exploring and seeking understanding of things.  He never takes anything at face value.  Tabun has not finished his "gathering of data", so to speak, and is not ready nor willing to be absolutely convinced of anyone's system of beliefs.  Perhaps one day he will, but right now you could say he's in a constant state of flux, and is comfortable with that uncertainty.

From this perspective, a back-and-forth discussion like this can ensue, with Washu firmly stating what he thinks and feels based upon his beliefs.  Tabun questions everything owing to his nature.  From Washu's perspective this might seem like Tabun "isn't getting it", when in fact Tabun is just being Tabun.  Nobody is being intentionally disrespectful of each other, but there's a clash of philosophies present - that of the convinced believer with firm convictions, and that of the perpetual doubter and skeptic.  In other terms, it is the "irresistable force meeting the unmovable object."  Perhaps this helps to shed some light on things a bit better.  Trust me, Tabun is a bit of an enigma.  I've known an worked with him for 4 years on Generations, and I think he knows more about me than I do about him, and that's saying a lot coming from me.
 Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #46 on: 2005-04-05, 03:08 »

Well, if we had such a thing, that one would have just won the post-of-the-thread award.

No offense, but I am actually surprised at the accuracy with which you describe me. It does not often happen that someone gives me their opinion of certain aspects of my character without me feeling the need to set something right. I think this is one of those few times. One or two points in the last paragraph half raises a brow, but those thingslead up to me being a bit of a puzzle - which precisely describes my wonder at things in general, not in the least at my own person.

For one thing, I am equally surprised at my questioning nature as I am of the absense of doubt and question in some others - part of why one won't 'pin me down' on something in a hurry is because I refuse to assume one of those attitudes to be the single correct approach.

Added to that, while indeed trying to be critical and analytical in everything, I too make many choices in life on gut-feelings (or instinct, if you will) alone. To sum it up, I feel that I have to think, while thinking about my feelings. And yes, I am comfortable with the unavoidable confusion - it helps me to think as open-mindedly as possible, something that I feel I must do :]
One of the things that makes me increasingly more comfortable with it, is that I gradually feel less and less of an urge to be judgemental of others, when it is inappropriate or unwarranted - something people around me do in everyday life, and which I dislike.

I very much share your views on our 'clash'.

Throughout the years I have also detected that I tend to get offended by very few things, but typically by those things that are addressed here; I have met with a few convinced believers that clearly belittled me in infuriating ways, of which I am reminded whenever someone makes statements indicating that I 'simply don't see it', 'need to see the light', 'am overly skeptical' and the like. While I understand that most people say that to be nice, and wish me to share in the doubtless bliss they live in, the 'holier and wiser than thou' implications more than cancel it out for me.
If love is the driving force in that approach, then it might be interesting to note that I too feel a love of that sort, but exactly for the ability and act to marvel at and ponder about things in ways that others find unnescessary, frightening or misguided.

P.S. As much as I may know about you, Phoenix, I still haven't a clue what you actually look like ;]
« Last Edit: 2005-04-05, 03:14 by Tabun » Logged

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #47 on: 2005-04-05, 19:14 »

I was a little too in the extreme side and exaggerative in my views which I don?t really view as that harsh,  I couldn?t clarify myself, which is why I seemed to repeat myself over and over. As for spelling errors, it doesn?t really bother me unless it is too much to where you can?t understand what someone is trying to say, but I do a spell check whenever it is at hand. The worst thing I hate to do however is drive people to annoyance, but I?m glad is not that way. I?m glad everything is cleared up.

Now I?m not exactly a Bible thumper, but I have studied Revelations in great depth, which in my opinion, is a very important piece. It is very interesting, and still holds many secrets waiting to be discovered. About my faith, I was not always Christian; I was a kind of person that always required proof for religious topics like this. I was warped by the school system. They literally told me not to believe in something that bears no concrete, physical proof, and that includes God, and that is a primitive life style and yadda yadda. I don?t want to go into details yet on my past life, but I will tell you it was a hard one. I?ll tell you something, ever since I became Christian, by life soared a thousand times better. I feel alive, and have compassion for people. I help them, even if they mock Jesus. I volunteer in feeding the homeless, which really is what being a Christian all is about. However some times, I get way to critical about discussions like this. That is why I get so spastic about topics on the creditability of schools. ;^)
I understand Tabun's point of view as well. I respect that he does not let anyone just convince him to change a whole lifestyle with a few words, I hardly call that arrogant.
And I too wish to know what you look like Pho.  Slipgate - Surprised
« Last Edit: 2005-04-05, 19:20 by Little Washu » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #48 on: 2005-04-05, 19:28 »

Quote from: Little Washu
I was warped by the school system. They literally told me not to believe in something that bears no concrete, physical proof, and that includes God, and that is a primitive life style and yadda yadda.
Which ties directly into this topic, and brings us full circle again.
(See Tab?  I told you this wouldn't decay into the absurd level of off-topicness you were afraid it would.)  Slipgate - Smirk
And I too wish to know what you look like Pho.  Slipgate - Surprised
Some wishes are never granted.  Let's just say my plumage is predominantly red and gold, and leave it at that.[/color]  Doomed

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #49 on: 2005-04-05, 19:41 »

Dang...
we'll get you someday. ;^)

Edit: You wanna know something interesting? I didn't even see Tabun's post about how he is getting off the bus and all that. And I said "I like this discussion alot it doen't annoy me at all." twice. I'm so stupid sometimes.  Slipgate - Laugh So as my posts did seem like I disreguard and not see anything from anyone's point of view, only Christian ones, it is a misunderstanding, due in part of my error.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-05, 19:58 by Little Washu » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: