2024-03-29, 14:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: runroll (How do you turn it off?)  (Read 7623 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« on: 2005-05-01, 19:57 »

Just played vanilla q3 for the first time in ages and really enjoyed it (the new q1e3m7 map. Anybody know how to turn off runroll and viewbob etc? really makes me sick even .002 of roll. It seems not to be in the config file?.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-02, 04:46 »

I tried changing both to zero, and it still does it in vanilla q3.  In fact it seems to always do it the same amount no matter what I try to set either cg_runroll or cg_runpitch to.  I guess I have another Id Bug to fix?
« Last Edit: 2005-05-02, 04:46 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-02, 17:47 »

Yes Please. it'll mean I can play longer without wanting to vomit. its the reason I turned to ut.
Khrystoph

« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-04, 07:01 »

Okay, I think I got it.  Open the q3config file (each mod seems to have its own, so youmay have to do this more than once...?)  Look for the folowing lines:

set cg_bobpitch "#"
set cg_bobroll "#"
set cg_bobup "#"

Replace whatever the # is with 0 (zero).  Problem solved.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-04, 17:46 »

Ahh, now those work.  Nice find!  Thumbs up!

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-04, 18:28 »

I've found that one of those (I keep forgetting which one, possibly bobup?) resets upon exit, for some reason. I believe it is considered to be a 'cheat' cvar, but it's been a while and I'm not sure..

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Khrystoph

« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-05, 06:55 »

Possibly...

BTW, Quake 3 apparently makes a new q3config to match your in-game settings everytime you exit.  Why it overwrites certain vars and not others is beyond the scope of my knowledge.  For the novice configurer (myself included, though I've had the game for YEARS), it seems like a crap shoot changing anything in there.  Some things work, and some don't.  So I've come up with another solution, courtesy of the site above.  Make a note/wordpad document, and put the aforementioned lines in it.  Add an extra line, //EOF.  Save as autoexec.cfg in your baseq3 folder and those settings should be set each time you fire up.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-05, 07:01 by Khrystoph » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-05, 15:09 »

Way ahead of you there.

I've long abandoned that way of going about it; I now have a read-only q3config.cfg, with all my preferred settings edited in it. Not the best solution for everyone, but it damned well guarantees you'll start up with the settings you wanted. Even so, the bob problem exists...

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-05, 18:25 »

This should shed some light on it.  From cg_main.c:

Code:
{ &cg_bobup , "cg_bobup", "0.005", CVAR_CHEAT },
{ &cg_bobpitch, "cg_bobpitch", "0.002", CVAR_ARCHIVE },
{ &cg_bobroll, "cg_bobroll", "0.002", CVAR_ARCHIVE },

Anything flagged with "cvar_cheat" tends not to retain too well.  Cvar_archive means "save this in the q3config.cfg".  If you do a /seta (cvar) (value) as opposed to a /set (cvar) (value) it should retain the cvar in your q3config.cfg.  Since cg_bobup is flagged as a cheat cvar q3 might not keep it when you play even if you do that.  Why it's cheat flagged I don't know, except perhaps some script kiddie could use it to change the camera position way up or down using some insane values.  Seems like they should have just sanity capped it instead so people can still turn it off instead of making it a cheat cvar.  Maybe I'll do that.
« Last Edit: 2007-07-11, 21:07 by Phoenix » Logged

dzjepp

Lost Soul

« Reply #9 on: 2005-05-23, 10:21 »

It's a dumb pb problem that's plauged me for a long time (pb flags it as a cheat). Most vanilla servers don't have this changed to you cannot use it, but a lot of osp servers have sane settings and these particular bob settings are not flagged as cheats. Personally it would be nice if the gen servers had it off too (if they already don't). Slipgate - Wink
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2005-05-23, 21:21 »

Quote from: Khrystoph

set cg_bobpitch "#"
set cg_bobroll "#"
set cg_bobup "#"

thanks guys. making the autoexec.cfg seems to have worked. Never played vinilla Q3 on line, as I stopped playing it before I got a fast connection. Its opened up a whole 'new' game for me.

Next on the list: play some Gore. remember that one? Slipgate - Ownage
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: