2024-03-29, 10:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gen-Kazdm3 (Simmer Re-worked)  (Read 11111 times)
kaziganthe

Lost Soul

« on: 2005-05-22, 03:23 »

http://www.infosprite.com/members/Kazigant.../gen-kazdm3.zip

3.8mb

I posted this awhile back, and it was suggested that I add in more ammo and items, so I did, and also updated the levelshot  Slipgate - Smile~

Anything I should change?

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-22, 06:08 »

It looks good! The only thing that worries me is that the item flow seems to congest EVERYTHING into the Rocket Launcher and lightning gun lavapit area, but the otherside of the map sees very little traffic, with the railgun being the only real draw to that part of the map. I'd suggest changing the YA on that side of the map to a RA instead, to draw more people.

Class Balance:

Earth is going to kick complete ass on this map. The napalm launcher will really shine here. It has quite a bit of ammo, and the narrow stairs and hallways are deathtraps if flame is everywhere. The mortar rocks here too because the angle of the stairs almost perfectly mimics the mortar's arc, allowing you to skin the rocket just above ground level the whole way up and back down.

Skippy's a bit weak on this map, because there's not much rocket/grenade ammo. I was always out of rockets, but I got a lot of nailgun and SNG kills.

Doom was actually fun to play against on this map, because the lack of rocket ammo means less rocket spam! The plasmagun is absolutely NASTY in some of the corridors though. The narrow corridors are good for doom too, but only if you can get that SSG blast off before you eat a mortar or a wall of fire.

Arena did good all around, but didn't overwhelm in any one area. Just like he should.

Stroggers will have to rely on the railgun to a great extent, or horde the chaingun/shotgun ammo. The hyperblaster just isn't on par with the other plasmaguns, and the RL is too slow for anything but surprise attacks. Grenades from the upper tier into the central area are good for a few quick kills though, against the unwary.

In terms of class balance, I'd vote it Earth > Doom &  Arena > Strogg > Slipgate

Of course, all this comes from playing nightmare bots for a while. Not actual people. So take it with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-22, 06:09 by ConfusedUs » Logged
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-22, 11:08 »

Cool i'll take a look at it as soon as i get home! Slipgate - Smile i'll give u some feedback then!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-22, 16:59 »

I agree with most of what Con said.
There seem to be few (useful) camping spots, which is excellent.

My Wirehead job makes aesthetics more of a point of interest for me ofcourse, and I have a few comments regarding that:
- the lava-lighting effects look good to me,
- there are some very nice touches, like the smoke plumes in the lightning-pit, as well as some interestingly used textures.
- on the whole, though, I think the texturing and brushwork is a bit bland. There's a great deal of 'big blocks' and repetetion of textures in staircases and hallways. Evillair's textures are fantastic, btw, no arguing there :]
It's just that I think there's a bit too much of the gray/brown going on, making it boring to look at. A good way of breaking up this monotonous decoration can be seen in the railgun area: the flags really liven the place up!

As far as I can see it plays fine. Rocketjumpers will have a lot of fun here, that's for sure :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
kaziganthe

Lost Soul

« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-23, 02:17 »

Anything other than the ya-->ra change in terms of items?

I'm aware that the map looks a bit ass-y, but I tried to emulate q2 as close as was possible. And... it was pretty bland  Slipgate - Wink . Besides, I designed it for a 'gameplay' contest.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-23, 02:59 »

Had a quick Q2 1v1 against Grunt and I'd say that it plays pretty damn smooth.  Thumbs up!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-23, 03:49 »

Quote from: kaziganthe
Anything other than the ya-->ra change in terms of items?

I'm aware that the map looks a bit ass-y, but I tried to emulate q2 as close as was possible. And... it was pretty bland  Slipgate - Wink . Besides, I designed it for a 'gameplay' contest.
A few more things after messing around some more, this time with a more sane bot load (first testing was with 14 bots on the map). This only had four.

You might put another rocket and grenade box or two on the map. Away from the RL spawn to prevent Doom going spam happy.  Ammo for the rocket launcher (and the grenade launcher as well) is pretty scarce, unless I missed it all...

A few shards might not hurt either. Health is spot on,  though.

My only other nitpick is that a few of the spawn points seem fairly far away from any weapons. This hurts Earth, because he's really damn slow, and hurts Slipgate just as bad because his spawn weapon isn't all that great.

The central area also seems a prime position for a powerup, instead of a lightning gun. Not a quad though. Maybe a haste or a regen? This is just a suggestion, so feel free to ignore it.

-------------

The big thing to remember is that every item affects every class differently.

A map without a red armor grants a HUGE advantage to Earth and Arena, but hurts Doom and Strogg badly, with Doom getting the short end of the stick by far. His yellow armor pickup (green) is complete ass, protection-wise. Slipgate fares pretty well with just YA because of the higher pickup values. Earth and Arena only have one type of armor, so YA is just a RA pickup with a lesser value to them.

+5 health pickups are a good boost for Doom, because his health can go over 100 and stay there. The megahealth can help offset a lack of red armor for Doom as well. But the health is fine overall.

In short, play around with the ammo positioning, perhaps add a few more details to break up the blander areas, and switch the far-side YA for a RA and it'll be gold.

We should test it when you get these changes done. With people, not bots.
kaziganthe

Lost Soul

« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-23, 05:54 »

Ok, updated with several packs of ammo, RA, and a little detail.

Might need to shift their postitions though.

(same download)

edit: i'm an idiot... the upload didn't go through, i'll have to do it tommorrow Slipgate - Sad
« Last Edit: 2005-05-23, 06:06 by kaziganthe » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-23, 06:18 »

awesome, thanks!
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2005-05-25, 01:26 »

did you ever get it fixed, kaz?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2005-05-26, 12:45 »

Oh it's updated..and i havent even tried the "first" version..i blame it all on my GF occuping my home atm but i'll test tomorrow (friday) cuz then is when she leaves! (finally i can live my gen way of life again!) Slipgate - Wink
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #11 on: 2005-05-26, 16:44 »

The file is invalid. I can't open it. it gives me an error...

kaziganthe

Lost Soul

« Reply #12 on: 2005-05-27, 18:51 »

ehhhh... sorry, forgot to upload it again. I'll make sure to do it tonight Slipgate - Smile
kaziganthe

Lost Soul

« Reply #13 on: 2005-05-28, 04:29 »

Woot! Got it uploaded Slipgate - Smile
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #14 on: 2005-05-28, 12:01 »

Very nice map.

Earth is going to frag. a LOT. not only because of the napalm, but because of the gatling guns respawns (the shotgun respawn and the lightning gun respawn). There's plenty of ammo on the top floor for the dual. The mortar will be useful.

Doom is in 2nd place for a simple reason. he's the only one who can reach the railgun spawn without a rocket jump! and because of the chaingun respawn (lightning gun respawn). The SSG will kick ass. The plasma gun will too kill a lot. the RL has enough ammo to spam (top floor).

The Slippys are the ones who will frag'em all. Why? First - The lightning gun; Second - Yours truly, the RL. It's not that hard to reach the LG Respawn for more ammo, and there's some ammo for the RL.

The Stroggs are going to be completely dominated. THEY WILL SUCK IN THIS MAP. They don't even have access to the railgun! the only strong weapon is the chaingun. they have quite a few  ammo to that weapon.

The Arena don't need any kind of description, since it has been discussed.

WHAT U NEED TO FIX : only DooM has access to the railgun. Try to extend the platform to the respawn.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-31, 21:46 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Hollowpoint

Shambler

« Reply #15 on: 2005-05-28, 12:43 »

I could reach the railgun with all classes except for Earth.  Doing a running jump is kindof a pain tho
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2005-05-28, 16:07 »

Hell I could even get the railgun with Earth, but it was tough.

I'll have to play through the reworked version and see how it plays.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-28, 16:07 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: