2024-04-19, 07:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shambler's Telecaster (Me trying to buy a new tele!)  (Read 5047 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« on: 2005-05-23, 21:32 »

Well, I have decided to get a new telecaster. I've been a guitarist since I was 17. I mainly play wired up acustics stright into the PA system, sometimes though pedals, but recently I've taken more to solids at my gigs.

I have a very good squire Telecaster I've been playing for 4 years, but decided to get a 'real' Fender.

I have the following spec:
Must be single coil.
Must have rosewood fretboard.

Question to all players: American, Mex or Korean?  advice needed.
 Rocking with the Band  Rocking with the Band
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-24, 09:32 »

Quote from: shambler
Question to all players: American, Mex or Korean?  advice needed.

The Rosewood is a classic for any Fender, and I would hope that you were self respecting enough to acquire some steel coils (because I sporking hate latex strings).

I'm not quite sure what the question I quoted you for asks, can you be more specific?

Beer? I'm down.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-24, 10:50 »

Well, Fenders are make in all 3 countrys at the moment. They differ in quality apparently, but views are mixed as to which is best.

On a telecaster, the maple board is traditional, but thye have been around with rosewood for about 50 years, so its just personal taste really. I just wanted other players views.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-26, 10:24 »

Latestupdate.

I have now tried an American guitar and amexican and a korean guitar,oneafter another in the samw shop with the same amp etc.

The Mex was ok, (?350 but the neck pickup was not very good. it was 'muddy' and dull. otherwise a good guitar. My mikes were made in mexico (sm58's), so I know the quality of goods is alright. just not this product.

The USA guitar was perfect. ?685. at that price it F****** should be. That was for a black one. the sunburst was ?100 extra. It came with a case, while the mex did not. I am not short of cases mind.

The korean guitar? very nice indeed. varnished over Alder, with a black plate. sells for about ?450. Sounds good, (seymour duncan pickups) but not the same as the USA 'original guitar'

My choice? I don't know! baring in mind I use this tool for my part-time work, and it earns me money, I should get the best I can, but that is not always the most exspensive. Part of the cost is Tax. that adds a lot to the price of the USA machine.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-04, 00:34 »

Final word, as we seem to have few guitarists amonghst us.

I brought a 'midnight wine' mexican telecaster, after hearing one and loving the sound.
I sent it back the next day, as it was 'plum' colour, and changed it for a black one. excellent grain on the neck, and the finish is the best I've ever seen.  Rocking with the Band end of story
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-05, 20:46 »

I'm not familiar with that particular model. I'm not a guitar player, but I do do a lot of work with guitarists and know a little bit. That is to say I am no expert.

At least you didn't get a Warlock.

Beer? I'm down.
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-07, 15:24 »

I'd say american all the way. I personally don't like those oriential ones, they wear out fast. My Les Paul has lasted me for about 8 years and still plays great.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: