2024-04-25, 17:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Sega suck?  (Read 12535 times)
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« on: 2005-05-28, 16:29 »

A few days ago, the valve threat made me question the other game companies. Like Sega.

Sega is one of the greatest ompanies ever. But it has always been underrated and i can't understand why.

WHY?

The company created the FIRST portable console in colors, it created the FIRST CD console and it created the FIRST 128bits console with with an 56kbps internet access inside the console. They created one of the greatest characters in gaming industry, Sonic. They are like gaming gods (along with Nintendo and ID) ! I think that they are one of the most revolucionary company in gaming industry. What's your oppinion?

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-28, 16:56 »

good ideas, bad execution.

There's a reason Sega is game development only now while Nintendo is still pumping out consoles.
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-28, 17:03 »

Sega suffered from bad timing more than anything I'd say.

They certanly made some strange stuff over the years, anyone else remember Sega channel?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-28, 19:04 »

Yeah, that died a death. Along with the Edge16 modem add-on, the 32X (which I got 6 months before Sega pulled the plug on it), the MegaCD, the Saturn, The VR headset which never saw the light of day, etc.

Sega haven't managed to get it right since the 16bit days. I remember all the agruments about the Super NES being better than the Mega Drive and all the intense rivalry which existed as much between gamers as the companies themselves, when everybody knows the MD took tthe SNES to the cleaners in terms of actual games Slipgate - Tongue

(awaits fevered backlash)
« Last Edit: 2005-05-28, 19:05 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-28, 19:24 »

Of course the MD (Genesis) is much better than SNES!

Quote from: ConfusedUs
good ideas, bad execution.

Truth is that the Saturn never had a big support by fans/Company, but i think that what happened with the Dreamcast was a shame. It had potencial.. unfortunatly, it only last a year or so...

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-28, 19:32 »

yeah i loved the dreamcast

the only machine to port soul calibur 1

plus the ok sonic adventure games, which you can now get on the gamecube
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-28, 20:44 »

The saturn, as I recall, was also the first multiprocessor console. One of the reasons they had so much trouble finding developers. Arcade titles on the Saturn beat the PISS out of the Playstation equivalents.

The genesis/megadrive suffered from a lack of blending and scaling, but supported MASSIVE sprites, so that was a bit.. odd..

I'm not quite sure WHY the dreamcast bit it, it's entirely possible Sega finally decided that fighting over market shares for hardware wasn't economically feasible and went software only.

Granted, they worked with nintendo to develop the gamecube; now if only developers would stop using all that hardware to render cartoons...

I'd honestly like to see a unified console, then I wouldn't have to drop $700+ every freaking console generation. Sony has the right idea with backwards compatibility, microsoft has no clue what they're doing, and nintendo practically refuses to cater to anyone over the age of 15.

Bleh, rant rant rant.

I'd say Sega doesn't suck, but since dropping out of the hardware market, they don't experiment as freely. I miss the gaming heyday when it was still about innovation and not so much about "what features sell?"

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-29, 03:41 »

Quote from: Angst
I miss the gaming heyday when it was still about innovation and not so much about "what features sell?"
The computer gaming software market is pretty much the same way too I'm afraid.  I miss the days when "Hey, the I move the guy on my screen, and he moves on his!  THIS IS SO SPORKING COOL!", the days when a chainsaw being in the game was a novelty and a really cool thing, who cares how it got on Mars... when it didn't matter how realistic something was, as long as it was fun and cool it was something worth doing.  Then again, I remember the first Pong machines, the very first Pac-Man games, the old vector-based Asteroids, and stand-up consoles that had artificial woodgrain finishes.  *sigh*

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-29, 05:32 »

Same here Slipgate - Wink

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2005-05-29, 09:27 »

While it is a shame that Sega dropped out of the console market, I think it was a smart move, (and it will save me a little bit of money every time the next wave of consoles come out. :p)  Sega has a lot of great franchises that until now, were exclusive to a Sega-brand console.  By going multi-platform on several of their games, they'll have a broader market and make it easier on the wallets of the fans of that particular franchise.  (Although admittedly, I purchased the X-Box when it was $300 soley for Jet Set Radio Future and Toe Jam & Earl III which are both Sega titles exclusive to the X-Box.  Thankfully, the X-Box is finally starting to pay itself off.)

To go a bit off-topic, I almost wish Nintendo would consider dropping out of the console market, and sticking strictly to software developement and portable systems, but I doubt their resolve will ever waiver.

And I hate to go even further off-topic, but the Sega CD was not the first CD-based console system, the Turbo Grafx CD system was (better known as the PC-Engine in Japan and Europe I believe.)  I think it was also the first 16-bit system as well.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-29, 09:28 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2005-05-29, 09:58 »

I think atari had one before that, or thereabouts. And don't forget the 3do :b

Consoles have been falling in to their niche's for awhile. Sega and Nintendo had this big rivalry only because the market can really only HANDLE 2 competitors. Sony jumped in and took a lot of hints from Sega, thus knocking them out of the hardware market. And Microsoft is trying to follow suit.

However, Microsoft is attempting to take out not only consoles, but it seems they intend to replace PC's with Xbox equivalents at some point.

In any event, Nintendo has the children's and party games market all but cornered, Sony's got the action/rpg/arcade bit practically in the bag if they'd ever get over their hatred of sprites. Microsoft has.. Halo? The Xbox's library isn't that impressive.

As for the systems, Nintendo has opted for more powerful video hardware in lieu of CPU speed; Sony likes their CPU and tends to play catch-up with video hardware. Microsoft is still trying to build some strange franken-pc.

As far as controls go, Nintendo's controller is multipurpose, with a bit of a learning curve. Having grown up on the nes/snes/genesis/saturn/dreamcast controllers, the Playstation controllers don't fit my hands quite right. As a bit of a side note, the PS3 controller design looks like a bloody mess, I hope like hell it can use ps2 controllers. Microsoft shrank the xbox controller some, but it's still unwieldy.

I could honestly say I'd like to see Microsoft drop the Xbox. If Sega and Nintendo would continue working together on hardware, I think Sony and Nintendo could carry the console market quite well on their own, with just as many benefits for the consumer.

Ballmer's fond of touting development, but Microsoft is pushing just as hard as EA when it comes to getting their flagship titles out at key purchase points. Halo 2 during xmas, and Halo 3 is slated to release the same day the PS3 launches.

Someone needs to sack the marketing division and let developers finish the damn games.

As a gamer, I'm tired of putting up with the bullshit associated with games HAVING to be shipped at a certain date. I'm willing to wait if it means the resultant product is higher quality. I dread the day games become the equivalent of McDonald's Happymeal toys.

Cookie cutter, cheap as hell, and there's a new one seemingly every week.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-05-29, 12:29 »

You forget that Microsoft is out to take over the world, so they're going to try to get their fingers into EVERY pie that's out there.  Remember, it's a company that was founded through underhanded scheming and blatant software piracy.  Nothing is too crooked or wretched that they won't try it if they think they can monopolize something.  The XBox is just another attempt at screwing over the competition AND the consumer at the same time.

Don't get me started on console controllers.  There are limits to what my avian feet can do, and those things look like they need an octopus to work them.  This is part of the reason I haven't owned a console system past the Sega Genesis, that and the fact that you can do more things with a PC...

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2005-05-29, 17:40 »

Oh please. I cant see how any right thinking person can possibly say the Genesis had better games than the Super Nintendo. The Super Nintendo had Star fox, Donkey Kong country, Chrono Trigger, super metriod, The legend of zelda, Mario kart, Fzero and Super mario world while the Genesis had a long stream of  mediocre crap and ocasion gems like Phantasy Star 2 and landstalker.
 I own a Saturn and i think it has some of the most unique and well made games of any console. I think if more people had played games like Panzer Dragoon, Dragon Force and Nights they wouldnt be so quick to poopoo the saturn.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #13 on: 2005-05-29, 18:52 »

Quote from: Woodsman
Oh please. I cant see how any right thinking person can possibly say the Genesis had better games than the Super Nintendo. The Super Nintendo had Star fox, Donkey Kong country, Chrono Trigger, super metriod, The legend of zelda, Mario kart, Fzero and Super mario world while the Genesis had a long stream of  mediocre crap and ocasion gems like Phantasy Star 2 and landstalker...
... Sonic series, Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Road Rash, Thunder Force 2, 3 & 4, Sub-Terrania, Red Zone, Virtua Racing, superior versions of SF2, Lawnmower Man, NBA Jam, etc ... Slipgate - Wink

I'm not denying the SNES had it's moments, particularly in the games you mentioned above (with the possible exception of Mario World which I personally never had the patience for), but having eventually enjoyed the best of both worlds I can say IMHO that the MD had more.

I for one wasn't dissing the Saturn, I've played NiGHTS, Virtua Fighter 2 and both incarnations of Daytona among a couple of others and I was particularly impressed with those titles at the time. What I was getting at was that the Saturn, along with the 3DO and the Atari Jaguar, died a horrible death at the hands of the PS which had a lot more going for it in terms of software support.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #14 on: 2005-05-29, 19:46 »

I don't think Sega sucks. I think it's exactly what Con said -- they had good ideas, but executed them poorly. The Gamegear suffered from horrible battery consumption, the concept of the 32x went right over most people's heads, and the Dreamcast just seemed awkward to many developers. The Sega Channel was a great idea -- so good that Nintendo actually opened a similar service for the Super NES over in Japan -- but largely fell on its face and ultimately robbed US gamers of a hard copy of a game titled Megaman: The Wily Wars. Suck.

But on that note, I think Sega did the intelligent thing. They figured, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" and went software-only. They teamed with Nintendo and Namco to create the Triforce arcade system, the Nintendo equivalent to Sega's own Naomi arcade system, which allows arcade titled developed on it to easily be ported to the Gamecube -- F-Zero GX and F-Zero AX received a simultaneous release as a result. The Sonic the Hedgehog series has not died. The Phantasy Star series has not died. Virtual Fighter is still around. I could probably keep going.

Somewhat Slipgate - Off Topic:

Quote from: "Angst"
... and nintendo practically refuses to cater to anyone over the age of 15.
Mario Party 6 and Donkey Konga are two of the most enjoyable, fun games I've played in a long time. Animal Crossing is as addicting as anything if you give it an honest try. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is a reminder of how much fun a simple go-kart racer can and should be. Those are just a few Gamecube titles I felt like mentioning -- I could go on for hours if I brought in the Gameboy Advance and DS.

Guess what? I'm 21. Nintendo does not "cater to the 15-and-younger crowd." They do not make "kids games." They try to create games that are enjoyable for anybody who's willing to give them an honest shot.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-29, 19:47 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #15 on: 2005-05-29, 21:13 »

Mak: Let's not forget the Resident Evil games and Serious Sam. They were on Gamecube. :p
« Last Edit: 2005-05-29, 21:14 by Footman » Logged
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #16 on: 2005-05-29, 21:24 »

That's such a common argument that I didn't want to bring it up.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #17 on: 2005-05-29, 22:34 »

Quote from: Makou
That's such a common argument that I didn't want to bring it up.
Yeah, let's see some Grand Theft Auto on the Cube Sipgate - Evil

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #18 on: 2005-05-29, 22:36 »

Sonic series, Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Road Rash, Thunder Force 2, 3 & 4, Sub-Terrania, Red Zone, Virtua Racing, superior versions of SF2, Lawnmower Man, NBA Jam, etc ...

Don't forget the Fifa series, the Streets of Rage series, The Micro Machine games, Italia 94 (i think it's the correct name), etc...

I now see it. Sega joined Nintendo to kick Microsoft's ASS!
Gamecube, instead of betting in Internet multiplayer, bets on 4 player multiplayer and i think it was a good idea. The funny thing is that Microsoft is so stupid that it doesn't give acces to the internet service to all countries instead of the PS2. I don't even understand why they got in the console industry... maybye to show how low they are...  Sipgate - Evil good.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-29, 22:37 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #19 on: 2005-05-29, 22:50 »

personally i like both sega and nintendo

and how can anybody not like super mario world  Slipgate - WTF

both sega and nintendo had games that showed of there system to the fullest

and as for streetfighter games I think you'll find that the snes versions were superior

the megadrive / genesis had

streetfighter 2 special champion edition & Super Streetfighter 2

the snes had

streetfighter 2 the world warrior
streetfighter 2 turbo
super streetfighter 2
streetfighter alpha 2

all of which had the better graphics and gameplay, where as the genesis versions only had better sound

however as for games

sega had

golden axe series
streets of rage
shinobi
sonic
fifa

and a whole lot more, plus genesis games are easier to emulate

where as the snes had

streetfighter games
mario games
starfox
zelda
pro evo ( which is better than fifa)
megaman games ( anybody complete Megaman x2 on hard  Doom - Huh? )

so both systems had good games

unfortunately like con said sega suffered from bad execution, the 32x was a good idea

anybody who has played knuckles chaotix would agree

where as nintendo had always controlled the handheld market

what would be good if, sega, Nintendo and sony all joined forces.

as although i own an xbox i don't believe the games are that good for it

Halo (umm ok)
Halo 2 ( so many problems, too rushed)
panzer dragoon orta ( control system sucks)

plus many more
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: