2024-04-20, 10:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with quake 2 m Packs  (Read 6974 times)
Lordbane2110

Chton

« on: 2005-06-11, 21:23 »

Hi Guys

had to reinstall XP and Quake 2 all over again

quake 2 works fine but when i go to install mission packs

i get a message that says it won't work due to it no longer being compatible with XP

Doom - Huh?

and well i could do with some help on how to install the mission packs manually as i have tried everything else

so pls have a heart  <3 and help a guy out
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-12, 04:08 »

Yeah... that's a known problem with the mission pack installers not liking the NT Kernel.  You might try running them in Windows 98 Compatibility Mode (I think XP can do this, someone help me out here).  If not, do this:

For The Reckoning:
1)  Go to your Quake 2 folder, and create a folder called "xatrix".
2)  Explore the CD.  Go to the folder marked "data", and the subfolder marked "all"
3)  You should see three items, a "docs" folder, gamex86.dll, and pak0.pak.  Copy those all into your quake2/xatrix folder.
4)  Look on the CD again for a folder marked "max".  Go into the subfolder marked "xatrix".
5)  Copy the folder marked "video" into your quake2/xatrix folder.
6)  Look on the CD again for a folder marked "patch".  Go into the subfolder marked "baseq2", go into the "players" folder.  Copy all that into your quake2/baseq2/players folder.
7)  Create a shortcut with the following properties:

C:/quake2/quake2.exe  +set game xatrix +set cddir D:/data/max

Substitute your own drive letters and folders of course, and substitute a backslash for the forward slashes I've used.  For some reason typing backslashes makes them not show up here on the forums.  This should let you play The Reckoning.

For Ground Zero:
1)  Go to your Quake 2 folder, and create a folder called "rogue".
2)  Explore the CD.  Go to the folder marked "data", and the subfolder marked "all"
3)  You should see three items, a "docs" folder, gamex86.dll, and pak0.pak.  Copy those all into your quake2/rogue folder.
4)  Look on the CD again for a folder marked "max".  Go into the subfolder marked "rogue".
5)  Copy the folder marked "video" into your quake2/rogue folder.
6)  Look on the CD again for a folder marked "patch".  Go into the subfolder marked "baseq2", go into the "players" folder.  Copy all that into your quake2/baseq2/players folder.
7)  Create a shortcut with the following properties:

C:/quake2/quake2.exe  +set game rogue +set cddir D:/data/max

Do not install the patched gamex86.dll file for baseq2.  Stick with what you've got, the ones on the CD will roll you back to 3.15 or something like that.  You'll also need an updated gamex86.dll for Rogue and one for Xatrix, because the ones that ship with the CD's are buggy and result in bad savegame pointers especially for Ground Zero.  Here's the patched files:

Xatrix
Rogue

Just copy the Xatrix one into quake2/xatrix and overwrite the existing one.  Same with the one for Rogue, copy it over the one in the quake2/rogue folder.  That should fix you up!  Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2005-06-12, 04:08 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-12, 14:21 »

awesome

you the man
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: