2024-04-25, 15:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: some Euro shots i took (Some screenies - euro server)  (Read 15438 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« on: 2005-07-30, 22:31 »

I don't know how to do multiple images, so they're one at a time....
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2005-07-30, 22:33 »

Alucard, waiting for the level to fill up. it went blunt.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2005-07-30, 22:34 »

NOt a good place to hide, really.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-07-30, 22:37 »

hehe. Good work shambler!
I've made some shots too (with my new AA & AF settings, so it's pure eyecandy) - I'll make a selection and add them to the gallery later..

GGS btw, tons of fun tonight.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2005-07-30, 22:38 »

Don't look now, but theres a tiny slipgater standing on the end of the RL.....
« Last Edit: 2005-07-30, 22:39 by shambler » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2005-07-30, 22:39 »

Forgot the picture!
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #6 on: 2005-07-30, 23:32 »

Quote from: shambler
I don't know how to do multiple images, so they're one at a time....
That's me, good i didn't lost my reallife contact lances.  Slipgate - Wink
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-07-31, 05:49 »

Btw Kingu, good thing you brought a friend for more carnage! :]

Okay peeps, here's some more screenies for ya:

Gallery of fancy 4x AA and 4x AF screenshots

Some demos of the forum games, are uploaded, too:
http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tab_20050730_ffa_demos.zip

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2005-07-31, 09:01 »

Yeah the game was a blast Slipgate - Smile really fun but i've noticed i need alot of training Tabun is way to evil hehe tho i doubt i've ever will beat him!
ggs and i'll be baaaack! to bad it isnt saturday everyday
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #9 on: 2005-07-31, 10:11 »

Beter thing is that my friend will try to take his friends, and that could be up to 8 gamers, when they all came back home from vacations.  Slipgate - Grin
« Last Edit: 2005-07-31, 13:21 by Kingu » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2005-07-31, 12:54 »

Good demos Tab. and good shots too. Liked the bit in the blast chamber, from the inside.

next time I'll try to turn of the on screen displays etc.

My mate captain fishpaste (stupid name) has taken a copy of Gen home with him. He may reappear. Who knows?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-07-31, 14:29 »

Kingu: cool, I love crowds on the servers..

Reb: you'll get plenty of chances - it may not be saturday every day, but it is tuesday and thursday sometimes too ;]

Shambler: If your comp doesn't run well with high res, high quality stuff, just record a free floating demo and play that @ high quality - that is less annoying than doing it real-time. I did that once or twice when I didn't have my current rig - if it does, then AA and AF settings are strongly recommended.. :]

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2005-07-31, 16:51 »

Well, both my comps seem to run fine with the high settings, but I don't know about AA and AF settings. anti-alias? and what is AF? and how do you sort them?

Comps are:
AMD 2700+ with 9800pro
800mgz P3 with FX5200

there was a time when they both used to crash with the high textures settings, but it was something to do with compressed textures, i believe. I can't remember.

What migt be good would be to have 2 copies of Q3 on the comp, one for eye candy, and one at 640x480 etc for fast game play. Would that work, or would the configs interfere with one another? It seems to work for me for UT. Thumbs up!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2005-07-31, 16:57 »

Sounds like it's worth a try..

AA is anti-alias indeed, AF is anisotropic filtering. Both can be enabled using the game-profile menu nvidia offers. video settings -> advanced -> nvidia tab. I assume you have the latest forceware, and those options should be available..

I have written a script that swaps two files, making on of them q3config.cfg with a simple command. I used that when I had to switch between 'ugly' and 'beautiful' settings. Nowadays there's no need anymore, since I can always run it as beautiful as you saw in the shots.  <3
Alternatively, you copy your entire quake3 folder, and load up two different generations, which are always safely configured for either 'quick' or 'beauty' settings.. if you would like that 'script' I made (which is a simple executable with no options or anything) just holler.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2005-07-31, 17:39 »

Quote from: Tabun
Sounds like it's worth a try..

I'll try the 2 copies of Q3 first, then let you know how it goes.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2005-07-31, 18:22 »

Anisotropic filtering, or "AF", takes the "blurriness" out of OpenGL texturing.  OpenGL textures get blurry at long range and at steep slopes (usually the floor is where you see it) owing to what'scalled mipmapping.  Mipmapping is good in that it removes the "moire" effect of running around, but it fuzzes everything.  Anisotropic filtering makes everything nice and sharp again.

Antialiasing, also called AA, FSAA or full-screen AA, takes the jaggies off diagonal lines.  This is done by sort of blending the pixels so they're not so, well, pixelated on the edges.  If you notice Tab's screenshots have nice crisp edges, whereas any of the older screenies in the galleries do not.  

The downside is both take a lot of math to do, which eats up graphics performance.  My card (GF4 ti4600) can run up to 8x anisotropic, but I can't do it with dynamic lights or I'll get 20 fps as soon as someone fires off the plasma rifle.  I use a 2x aniso with a bit of fudging the mipmap LOD bias (hidden driver tweak, need a program called RivaTuner to do it) to make things a little clearer.  I get some moire with that, but it's tolerable to me.  Forget FSAA on it, it kills the framerate no matter what.  Only the most powerful cards can run high level FSAA and AF at the same time.  It makes for a beautiful picture if you can!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2005-07-31, 19:27 »

I've tried running 6x AA and 8x AF, and it is (generally) playable. Like Pho says, when the plasma starts flying there are severe drops, so I prefer using 4x AA and 4x AF, which looks very nice and runs Q3 just as fast (that is, over 125 fps at all times) as with AA and AF disabled - on a modern rig, that is.
Now trying to use that stuff for Doom 3, for instance, that is another matter altogether ... :]

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #17 on: 2005-07-31, 19:37 »

I see. well, having 2 copies of Q3 did not work. when i adjusted the settings on one copy, all copies (1 in prog files, one on c drive and 1 on D drive) got adjusted. so I restored from my emergancy back up zip file.

I have now adjusted the AF to x2 on the 800Mgz comp. seem better and the fuzzy line has got, as far as I can see. I'll leave it like that for a while. same in UT. just tested it in ut2004, and seems fine there as well.

Question: can I do the same with my ATI 9800pro card comp, or is this as nvidia thing? (shows how little I know about these things)

Question to Tab: can I get the script you mantioned? and how to use it!

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2005-07-31, 20:05 »

thats od , since it does work for me
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2005-07-31, 20:14 »

Firstly, it is impossible for Quake3 to adjust the settings in two locations from a single executable, as far as I know. If it seems that way, be sure to check that the shortcut you're using to launch the game doesn't still point to the old location (target, working directory etc). I know that approach can work because I've used it here.

Use at your own risk, and only if you trust me not to have added keyloggers or whatnot. No tech support other than the text below will be given to anyone! :]
http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/q3FileRename.zip

how to use q3FileRename
0. Only works on windows-based systems (duh)
1. Copy the executable to your Quake3/generations directory
2. Create a shortcut to the file and place it anywhere you want to run it from (like, say, your desktop)
3. Make a backup of your q3config.cfg
4. Create a copy of your q3config.cfg, and call it q3config_b.cfg

Done.

If you run the executable, it will swap the q3config.cfg with the q3config_b.cfg. There isn't anything else to it. Swap, change settings and swap back to use the other settings.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: