2024-04-16, 17:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake III Source Code Released  (Read 3395 times)
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« on: 2005-08-20, 01:20 »

They just released the source code for Quake 3

http://www.planetquake3.net/index.php

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2005-08-20, 18:44 »

Will this help in the improvement of Generations Arena?

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #2 on: 2005-08-20, 19:08 »

It's not a "will it" so much as a "could it." The possibility is there, but... well, I'll let Phoenix explain, if he wants, since he's the coder.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-08-20, 19:53 »

I already have the source code.  Right now I cannot compile it for technical reasons.  I'm hoping that will change shortly.  I won't know anything until I know if it can compile "out of the box" and work successfully with Gen's current VM builds.  I'm not going to waste time snooping around the source until I know it can compile, so until then I'm going to continue to treat development as being dependent upon the 1.32 official retail release.

If and when I can compile the engine source, there's also multiple-platform considerations.  Besides Win32, there's also linux and MacOS to consider.  If those builds have to be compiled natively - in other words, under their own operating systems, then there's a problem.  I can (theoretically) compile a build under Linux if I build a box for it (or at least repair idlebot and install Linux there), but I cannot compile under MacOS seeing that I don't have a Mac and know nothing about them, nor do I have the budget to procure one since you can't install MacOS on a PC.  The last thing I want to do is leave players out because they're running a different platform (and yes we do have some Mac users who play Gen) and Gen MUST work under Linux or we'll have no dedicated servers.
« Last Edit: 2005-08-20, 19:56 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: