2024-03-28, 19:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plasmagun  (Read 4494 times)
Soul Shaker

« on: 2005-09-09, 14:54 »

Is it possible to get the DooM warriors plasmagun as a weapon replacement in just plain old quake 3?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-09-09, 15:45 »

We won't release a replacement like that since we want the weapon to be used in the context it was designed for, however it is possible to do and it's no secret how to do it if you know a little bit about how to mod.  The model just needs to be renamed to plasmagun.md3, and the appropriate graphic and shader files exported into their own pk3, and of course the sounds would need to be repathed as well if you wanted the sound effects.  Keep in mind it won't colorize though, so you're on your own there and you'd probably have to colorize the plasma tube graphics (normally the gen code does this, but Q3 won't).  Bear in mind you cannot distribute our material per the EULA included, but what you do privately is your business.  Just so long as you don't break your Gen install or infringe on our copyrights or intellectual property rights, experiment at will.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Soul Shaker

« Reply #2 on: 2005-09-09, 23:23 »

Great....can anyone do this and upload it or somethin? i have no idea how to do this stuff.....i've never liked trying to get into pk3's...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-09-10, 00:03 »

I'm afraid what you ask is exactly what (as Phoenix describes) is prohibited.. you can find a (very old) tutorial I made about PK3's here - you'll see it's surprisingly simple and easy.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-09-10, 14:11 »

I know it would be "easier" if we uploaded a model replacement, but that would mean anyone could download it, which is exactly what we don't want.  We have a hard enough time as it is with people running off with our models, putting them in their own mods, and saying the models are theirs.  We don't mind people using our stuff as a learning tool, but releasing it is a no-no.  We've had to shut down several people's projects for theft.  We do not want to discourage people from tinkering and learning to mod, but we won't tolerate thieving of our art either, and releasing a replacement would just make it too convenient for someone to do.  We're just trying to save everybody, ourselves included, a lot of potential grief.

The best suggestion I can make is visit Polycount and download an existing Q3 weapon replacement.  See how it's put together.  See how the path structure works.  PK3's are just Winzip files so they're not hard to work with.  Follow Tab's tutorial and you'll see that simple item replacements aren't that hard to do.  If it seems intimidating, just realize that I started out modding by wanting to replace the rocket model in Quake 2 with the old Q2 Generations Doom rocket, and I knew absolutely nothing about models at the time, or pak files.  I knew nothing about C when I started tinkering with Q3's source code either.  At present I code for Generations, and I've created a large number of the weapon models and some of the special effects graphics.  This certainly does not make me the best modeler, or coder, or 2D effects artist out there.  It just shows what you can accomplish, as long as you're tenacious and not afraid to try.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #5 on: 2005-09-20, 23:03 »

Quote from: Phoenix
We won't release a replacement like that since we want the weapon to be used in the context it was designed for, however it is possible to do and it's no secret how to do it if you know a little bit about how to mod.  The model just needs to be renamed to plasmagun.md3, and the appropriate graphic and shader files exported into their own pk3, and of course the sounds would need to be repathed as well if you wanted the sound effects.  Keep in mind it won't colorize though, so you're on your own there and you'd probably have to colorize the plasma tube graphics (normally the gen code does this, but Q3 won't).  Bear in mind you cannot distribute our material per the EULA included, but what you do privately is your business.  Just so long as you don't break your Gen install or infringe on our copyrights or intellectual property rights, experiment at will.
I exported Generation's player skins to my baseq3 directory.
DD_133

Imp

« Reply #6 on: 2005-10-16, 23:13 »

I once tried to actually do that model exporting gizmo thing. Not much luck. The most I got was a black model. xD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: