2024-06-01, 05:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we be concerned?  (Read 4359 times)
Naoscaire

Imp

« on: 2005-09-16, 18:14 »

Is there really nothing to worry about here or are they just trying to not cause a mass panic?

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid...423201&from=rss
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2005-09-16, 19:02 »

That sounds like speculation, no? But if it's true, then we should be concerned.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2005-09-16, 23:58 »

This is just one incident among many, however.  Security is the overall problem.  They pretty much just let China waltz into US nuclear research labs and send information about how to build thermonuclear weapons back to the homeland; GAVE the Chinese the missile technology to send them over should they choose to, and by leaving the borders porous and unsecured, along with cargo shipments, allowed the terrorists we're supposed to be fighting easy access into this country.  There are so many possible "nightmare" scenarios that could happen I could sit here and write them up one at a time and never run out of material.

There's the problem.  There are so many rumors of what might happen, that people can become paralyzed over what could happen.  I think there should always be concern, yes, but don't let fear control you.  Keep living the best you can, but in case something bad happens it's never a bad idea to have a few sane supplies around - water purification tablets, a painter's chemical mask with spare filters (or you can get M-10 gas masks pretty cheap), rubber gloves, canned food, etc.  Gas masks aren't necessarily for a chemical attack, remember dead bodies and industrial chemical spills create toxic vapors too.  Some weapons and ammunition are a great idea, especially when you consider the possibility of lawlessness in the wake of disaster.  This isn't just "in case of terrorism", but look at what Katrina did.  What's unreported is a lot of people were left to defend themselves from the thugs and gangs when the city went under.  Of course, when the "authorities" came back into the area the first thing they were told to do is disarm everyone because of political attitudes, so watch who you "trust" if you're ever caught in that kind of situation.  A bad blizzard can starve and freeze you to death and there's absolutely nothing you can do to stop that either, and they're a lot harder to get away from than a hurricane because you can't always see it coming.  If you live in an area prone to cold and snow storms, having a portable heater with fuel is always a must.  It will keep you alive should the power and/or gas fail.

Something else to consider is emergency medical supplies.  A lot of times people have no access to antibiotics and other life-saving medicines.  An overlooked potential (emphasis on potential) source of medicine is veterinary meds.  They're marked "not for human consumption", but they're pretty much the same thing and it's possible to procure them without prescriptions.  Now I'm not giving medical advice here, but should someone be cut off from medical care, they offer a potential for saving someone's life should they become severely ill if you have them onhand at the time.  Gastrointestinal disorders like gastroenteritis, dysenterry, etc, left untreated can kill you, and often bacterial infections commonly cured today by a quick trip to the doctor can run rampant in an area where something bad happens, especially if the water supply is compromised.

Another good thing to use, and something I always recommend is silver hydrosol.  What is that, you say?  It's a colloidal solution of very small silver molecules within distilled water, between 10ppm and 20ppm.  It has lethal effects on bacteria, but is harmless to multicellular organisms (like people or birds).  It can be ingested, applied to the eyes, inhaled into the sinuses, and poured on open wounds.  Before 1930 and the rise of the pharmaceutical companies, this was used to great effectiveness for curing bacterial infections.  I've seen it's properties work myself, as well as independent laboratory testing that confirms it works on even the nastiest bactiera (Staphylococcus Aureus for example) and it's not a "quack" healthfood craze like so many things are these days.  I use it myself to keep my sinuses clear.  I used to have horrible problems with sinus infections, of which I'm very prone to and especially since the air is so polluted.  I no longer get them.  Period.  At all.  None, zero, never.  That's how good this works.  It works by interfering with the part of a bacterial cell that metabolizes oxygen.  It's not a "drug", and bacteria have shown absolutely no capacity to adapt to it and develop resistence.  It's something that I recommend to anyone without hesitation, as it can be a lifesaver at best, and at the worst (unlike antibiotics) it cannot hurt you.

I didn't intend on making this thread some kind of "emergency preparedness" thread, but I just think being ready for *any* disaster-type situation is better than fretting over every little thing that *could* come along.  We should always keep our eyes open, but we should also make sure we have the tools to help ourselves, and others who may be in need, should such a situation present itself.  If Katrina has shown you anything, it's that relying on the government to "save you" is folly.  Be ready to look after yourself, and those you love, for you may very well be on your own should the worst happen.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-09-17, 00:23 »

Something I'd be more concerned about than some plague-infected mice is this:

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Investigat...=1130392&page=4

Now this always starts in the Orient, and it goes without question that hostile states like China and North Korea would be attempting to weaponize something like this, which (personal conspiracy theory warning) I think that's why there's so many outbreaks of it to begin with is they're actively releasing it in "field studies".  China cares nothing about its people, and wants to reduce its population anyway, so why not?  And if they did, through action or accident, develop a strain that can be spread from one human to another... God help you.  Remember, we avians have the most powerful and efficient respiratory systems on the planet.  If it kills us this easily, you stand little chance.  I certainly hope this never happens, the reality is too horrid for me to contemplate.  It's already taking enough toll on my kind as it is.

Vorlonesque

Team Member
Pain Elemental

« Reply #4 on: 2005-09-18, 19:02 »

The bird flu and other stuff will really be like the season finale of the second season of Millenium I think...but without the lame Season 3 premeire where they said "oh that huge plague just killed a couple hundred people!"

Seriously though...good disaster advice Pho...a warning about colloidal silver stuff; you gotta be a little careful or it'll turn you grey or blue (and make you look like a Nebari) I think.  I remember the Libertarian candidate for State Senate or something in some state used heavy ammounts of it in preperation for Y2K but he used to much and turned blue!  I imagine Pho knows this...albeit maybe it doesn't turn birds blue if they use too much.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2005-09-18, 22:14 »

Yes, I'm aware of said senator, however he used an absurd amount orally on a daily basis for YEARS as a supplement, and it probably was not properly filtered if he was making it himself.  Made properly and used properly there should be no ill effects, unless of course someone has an outright allergy to silver.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: