2024-04-20, 00:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What Would YOU Do? II (The Sequel)  (Read 15992 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2006-02-21, 18:41 »

Just be aware that the sniper rifle's ricochet is not precise.  It bounces roughly along the proper angle of reflection, but there's a random element in there.  If you know it's a fairly narrow hall or corner you can bounce shots off, but it's very difficult.  I have, however, taken people out this way.  I believe I got Atomic up in the sniper's nest after banking about 6 shots off the wall in Stronghold Opposition during Saturday's CTF portion of the game.  The first reflection hit, so I knew his position, but it took several more shots to get a second hit.  This only worked because he was very close to the impact point, and also because he didn't come out of where he was.  If he had moved after I missed once he could have gotten past while I was reloading.  I do remember someone reflecting a shot back into themselves during one of the games, but I forget who.  It's always amusing when that happens.   Slipgate - Grin
« Last Edit: 2006-02-21, 18:43 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #21 on: 2006-02-21, 20:24 »

It was Me, when I was turning to catch someone running past me. Slipgate - Smirk
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #22 on: 2006-02-22, 10:23 »

Well, I think when you hear a person coming near you, the first reaction is to wait in a corner, then kill. I consider this as a tactic. Of course that the most probable thing is that someone finds you and kills you, but that's another story.

BTW you ppl have to try suiciding yourselves with the Sniper quadded. For some reason, we blow up into gibs. Is this normal? Slipgate - Wink .

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2006-02-22, 20:30 »

I don't think living through a full body penetration of a depleted uranium slug traveling at nearly the speed of light  is very normal either, nor is propelling yourself into the air with a bazooka without blowing your legs into chunky salsa.  This is a video game, after all.  Slipgate - Wink

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #24 on: 2006-02-23, 22:41 »

we stil need to try it just for prooving it aint possible.
Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #25 on: 2006-02-23, 23:26 »

That also happened to me too...when I was trying to shoot Phoenix I believe. Both Kingu and I sniper-suicided on the same map, if I'm correct... x_x

EDIT: And that 'someone' was me, Kingu, if it WAS on that day... <_<
« Last Edit: 2006-02-23, 23:30 by IceDragonVisy » Logged
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #26 on: 2006-02-24, 10:32 »

You are correct
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2006-02-24, 14:52 »

Games: You forget that you cannot prove something is impossible inductively. If you fail, you just didn't get it right, or so your opponent would suggest. Ofcourse, since it is possible to rocket jump, trying it to show just that would be a good idea. Now I just need to get myself a decent pair of blast-proof boots! :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #28 on: 2006-02-24, 18:10 »

Quote from: Phoenix
I also admire clever use of the grenade launcher in any situation.  I know some people think it's a sneaky weapon, but it takes skill and forthought to bounce grenades into just that right spot where the guy is around the corner, or to predict where someone's going to be and force them into that spot so they try to hatch your little bomb.
Except that during that one 3 player FFA on Useless Bloody Loonies a few years ago when me and Omega-X were having a grenade battle, and you had the bad luck of somehow spawning in the crossfire like 6-10 times in a row! Slipgate - Smile~  I think that's the only time I've ever seen you at the bottom of the scoreboard...especially under me and Omega.
« Last Edit: 2006-02-24, 18:12 by Gnam » Logged
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #29 on: 2006-02-24, 18:15 »

I love grenades. Especially Slippy grenades or the hand-delivered variety Sipgate - Evil One thing I like doing is just dropping a grenade where I stand and wait for someone to come along and trip over it.
« Last Edit: 2006-02-24, 18:17 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #30 on: 2006-02-24, 18:25 »

[color=FFFF00]I might point out that explosives work different from propellants.  Propellants, like nitrocellulose gunpowder, expand fairly slowly.  Yes, it seems fast, but consider it's slow enough to shove a chunk of metal out of a cylinder without causing excessive damage to either.  Explosives expand rapidly and  violently, causing a shockwave.  Explosives certainly can throw things, but tend to shred them as opposed to flinging them.  Using TNT to try to propel a bullet would result in a shattered weapon (and dead or maimed operator) because the rate of gas expansion is drastically higher than that of nitrocellulose.  In the same way it would rip a gun apart if you tried to use it as a propellant, it would rip the person's legs apart that was trying to rocket jump.  Basically consider the effects of stepping on a landmine, which is fairly well documented, and you'll get the effects of an attempted real-world rocket jump.  I think you'd need a bit more protection than iron boots, especially if you intend on having children or even sitting down in the future, assuming you even lived.[/color]

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #31 on: 2006-02-24, 19:59 »

*ahem* I hate Strogg GL. So slow and so weak... but the hand grenades compensate. Earth's hand grenade are quite stupid, since they can't reach a large distance when thrown. Slippy GL is like the VQ3 BFG : SPAM! And the Q3 GL is quite nice, and the Q4 GL, well, nice too.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2006-02-24, 22:26 »

It depends on when you call the 'jump' succesful. Who says you have to survive it? :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #33 on: 2006-02-25, 01:00 »

Tab:  Good point.

Krusader:  Earth's hand grenades can actually fly farther than Strogg's if you time them correctly.  They're just not very powerful, though they may get a "feature" in an upcoming release (and no I won't elaborate).  You CAN get sneaky with them though, especially if a player is pursuing you with careless disregard for their environment.  They also drop in place when you die if you have one primed, as opposed to exploding instantly like Strogg's.  I've been fragged a few times by shooting someone and then standing too close to their post-mortem present while fighting someone else.  It's kind of neat when one of your own "this might be a nice feature" ideas nails you in exactly the way you intended it to work. Slipgate - Smile

Strogg's grenade launcher is slow, yes, but the blast from the grenades is powerful.  They are equal in damage and explosive radius to Slipgate's, but the explosion doesn't fling you all over the place.  The hand grenades do exactly the same damage as the launched grenades.  One advantage of not having that vicious knockback is if there's more than one grenade in the area someone is more likely to take damage from the additional grenade.  The downside is you can't throw people into fog or void as easily.

Slipgate's grenade launcher is pretty much the most powerful version for the simple fact you can lob bombs everywhere with it very quickly.  The downside is it's not subtle at all.  The grenades bounce very noisily, and winging someone can throw them out of the target area, making a followup shot difficult, and without the target really taking that much damage.  However, if you can pin someone in a small room or a corner it's lethal since it will fling them from one grenade blast right into another, with satisfying results.  It's also the best weapon, second only to Slipgate's rocket launcher, for throwing people off cliffs.

Arena's Grenade Launcher is kind of like "Slipgate Lite".  It has a blast radius almost as large, it can spam them fairly well, and you get plenty of bombs per box, but they also tend to be a bit too bouncy at times.  You also can't use slopes to affect their velocity as you can with Q1 and Q2 grenades.  Q1 and Q2 grenades you can "mine" a slope with by shooting downhill, or bounce them up ramps since ramps increase their velocity.  The damage and damage falloff curve for Arena's grenades is somewhat weak when compared to Q2 or Q3 grenades.

So far though I don't think I've found a grenade launcher I really don't like.  I'll admit that Strogg's may be harder to use effectively at times, but as far as the "sneaky' factor, it's the best one.  I don't know how many times that slow refire has resulted in someone waiting for a grenade to explode, moving in when they thought it was safe, and then catching a followup shot in the face.  I used it effectively for a long time playing Rocket Arena 2 when I was stuck on a bad modem connection and had no choice but to avoid line-of-sight fights with the LBP railwhores if I expected to live more than 5 seconds into the match.  There are all sorts of tricky things you can do with it if you understand grenade timings, but I'm not going to spill all my secrets here.
  Slipgate - Wink

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #34 on: 2006-02-25, 09:56 »

I've been playing a lot with Q2 weaponry in LAN, and I have to say, Strogg explosives are quite slow. I find that the RL is, although slow, somewhat strong (otherwise it wouldn't be a RL), but if someone catches the Chaingun, it's total Hellzapoppin' (wtf?). I get a lot of frags with it. The Railgun is another story : it looks faster than the Q3 Railgun, and it obviously is more powerful. The Hyperblaster is irritating, mostly due to the speed of it's bullets, which is translated through this equation : Speed = SLOW! , and this weapon is one of Q2's weaknesses. Earth has a quick & deadly Flamethrower, Doom has a spamming Plasma Rifle, Slipgater has a SNG that is most unique with it's bullet speed & damage, and Q3 has that perfect Plasma Gun, so Q2 here is in disadvantage, no?

BTW Pho Earth grenades are only useful to drop them and not to throw them. Q2's nades can reach a good distance in less time than the Earth nade.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #35 on: 2006-02-25, 11:02 »

Earth grenades work best if held for around 2 seconds then thrown directly at a target.  You can throw them short, or long; the longer you hold the further you throw.  If you practice with them you can get results similar to lobbing a mortar shell.  They're also useful if bounced around a corner into a fight that you don't want to rush into.  Just practice with them and find out how they bounce and fly based on various hold times and you'll see.  They may get slightly different physics later, which can help with their effectiveness, along with that special feature I won't mention.  Right now they are based around Q3 grenade physics, which aren't really too great in my opinion.

Aye, Strogg is the hardest class to master, and the hyperblaster is definitely a difficult weapon to use.  Q1's SNG is a little stronger, though it eats more ammo.  I think it's a little easier to aim for most players.  The one thing the hyper has going for it is that you get a decent number of shots with it.  Trying to hit someone at long range isn't going to work if they're aware of you, so I've found the best techniques are to shove it down someone's throat, run into a fight and attack the weakest player with it, or use it to spray an area with suppressing fire to cover a retreat when you go to look for health and armor.  However, if you're running up against someone with a rocket launcher or Doom shotgun, you're best bet is retreating while running backwards and saturate a narrow hallway with it, letting your attacker run into your blaster bolts.  Charging said players is suicide.  I have a higher kill ratio with the hyper than a lot of other players because I know the weapon mechanics well and I used it a lot in deathmatch playing Quake 2.  There are a few games I played on Warehouse where I got more kills with the hyperblaster than any other gun and managed to hit the fraglimit doing it.  I've also played a lot of flight games that use energy projectiles that you have to lead targets with in order to hit, so I'm more accustomed to using that kind of weapon against fast-moving, maneuverable enemies.

Something else that may help in the next release is we've redesigned the blaster bolt to be more Q2-ish, and I also adjusted the projectile placement.  It was actually ahead of where it was in Q2 during flight.  It may or may not help with aiming, but the blaster bolts are definitely more visible now.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: