2024-04-30, 01:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Police State (In Chicago)  (Read 3921 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2006-02-19, 20:28 »

"The safer we make the city, the better it is for everyone," says Chicago Alderman Ray Suarez, who first proposed mandatory cameras in some businesses. "If you're not doing anything wrong, what do you have to worry about?"
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-0...o-cameras_x.htm

That statement should be a red flag to anyone who cares about civil liberties.  The next step is "If you're not a criminal, then you shouldn't mind us searching your house or person whenever we want to".  This is getting dangerously close to that line.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-02-19, 20:51 »

Sure is creepy. The incredibly old and quite transparant "you don't have anything to worry about if you're clean"-argument still seems to work. I thought the world finally caught on to that lame trick during the McCarthy era? Guess not.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2006-02-20, 20:09 »

We seem to have a lot of these cameras over here at the moment.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #3 on: 2006-02-21, 00:30 »

Belfast is flooded with them. Not where I live specifically (we don't even have police Slipgate - Tongue), but in certain parts of the city your every move is caught on camera. It's a simple question of privacy. The question being: what the hell happened to it?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2006-02-21, 18:49 »

Ever read 1984 by George Orwell?  If not, it will give you a good idea of where it could end up going if people continue to do nothing to stop it.

As for where it went... people allowed their governments to take it from them for whatever reasons sounded good at the time.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: