2024-04-18, 22:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gen with Q3 Source Ports  (Read 6773 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« on: 2006-03-19, 18:30 »

Just thought I'd share this.

During my search for the Q3 engine source the other day (thanks, Pho) I came across this:

http://icculus.org/quake3/

This is ther first full Q3 source port I've come across and was eager to give it a try. It runs Gen perfectly and has its com_zonemegs set to 24 so you can do this:

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #1 on: 2006-03-20, 01:05 »

Cool one less useless .bsp, if i reinstall team arena.

How many players is recommended for that map anyway?
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2006-03-20, 12:18 »

You're missing the point here kajet. This can help Gen to be ported to MacOSx, Linux & FreeBSD! That would be nice.
« Last Edit: 2006-03-20, 12:40 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2006-03-20, 17:59 »

Actually, I don't think it can. Currently, Gen runs fine on all of the above (well, FreeBSD I don't know about) using the stock Q3 engine. That in and of itself is not a problem -- the problem is actually compiling for anything but Windows.

We know Phoenix recently got a Linux install working, and was playing Gen on it over the weekend. Aside from sound sucking because he apparently has to use a crap driver, it does its job. Now, he needs to try to compile his custom Q3 engine in Linux and make sure that works without issue.

And that would still leave out a Mac version.

Existing source ports of Q3 are nice and all that, but unfortunately (and this was your intention), they do not really help the cause in terms of giving Gen its own executable, which is the ultimate goal to do everything that we really want to do with the game.

But thanks for the heads up on this. I haven't been paying much attention lately and didn't notice these things were on the move. Slipgate - Smile

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2006-03-20, 18:18 »

Uh... yeah, I hit a minor snag porting Q3 over to Linux.  I'll rant about it in the non-public development forum.  Slipgate - Surprised

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #5 on: 2006-03-20, 20:49 »

Quote from: Kajet
Cool one less useless .bsp, if i reinstall team arena.

How many players is recommended for that map anyway?
I ran it with 15 bots + me with no problems, but it was still pretty sparse Slipgate - Wink I'd guess at 32.

Mak: I know it's not much help with regards giving Gen it's own exe, but this thread is intended just as a bit of temporary relief Slipgate - Smile As more ports emerge, I'll try Gen with those too.

*dreams of bump-maps
« Last Edit: 2006-03-20, 21:01 by scalliano » Logged

Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #6 on: 2006-03-21, 13:34 »

... Scalliano, about your first post, what exactly does it mean? (i see the non-BOT-pathed TEAM ARENA map, i guess, but so? btw i have Q3GOLD Slipgate - Smile )... care to explain? (i'm not really into tech stuff, so...)...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #7 on: 2006-03-21, 15:25 »

Quote from: Nahand
... Scalliano, about your first post, what exactly does it mean? (i see the non-BOT-pathed TEAM ARENA map, i guess, but so? btw i have Q3GOLD Slipgate - Smile )... care to explain? (i'm not really into tech stuff, so...)...
All the terrain maps in TA have bot paths, they're just not in the single player campaign. I have Q3Gold too Slipgate - Wink All I was getting at in my first post was that it's known that this map doesn't load in Gen normally. This was intended as a temporary means for players like myself to run this and other similarly huge maps in Gen. Just a thought. As for the com_zonemegs, in vanilla Q3 its locked at 16 so there's not enough memory allocated to cope with levels that huge AND load up Gen on top of it.
« Last Edit: 2006-03-21, 15:34 by scalliano » Logged

Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #8 on: 2006-03-21, 15:40 »

... i see, thanks for the enlightment Slipgate - Smile I've downloaded the port just to check out (haven't unzipped it yet). It says (the homepage i think) to place the pak0 in the game directory to work (no problem there), but i was wondering (again, i'm no tech buff) if i can place TEAM Arena there isntead, or Generations to begin with? (maybe that's what you intended in showing in the first screen and i failed to cope with o_0)?...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #9 on: 2006-03-21, 20:17 »

When you install it, it will contain a baseq3 folder and a missionpack folder just like normal Q3. Copy your Q3 pak0.pk3 to baseq3 and your TA pak0.pk3 to missionpack. Then you're ready to play both. To play Gen, install it as you would normally.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2006-03-21, 22:00 »

No, no, no!  Don't go copying pk3's all over the place.  Create a new shortcut  to quake 3 and give it the following arguments:

+set fs_basegame missionpack +set fs_game generations

That will enable the mission pack content for use with Gen.  Team Arena is not officially supported with Gen at this point, so use at your own risk and please don't report bugs about missing items, powerups, and other artifacts.  We already know about them.  DO run around any map you feel like in CTF mode (g_gametype 4).

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2006-03-25, 01:05 »

Thanks to some impromptu testing yesterday with scalliano and spawn, and some additional testing today with Visimar, it appears I have a working Quake 3 Arena linux compilation.  At least, it didn't crash on me today anyway.  I'll probably throw up a public server sometime over the next week.  If you see it, feel free to log in and play on it, it will be .99f, just with a different executable (as opposed to the Beta Test server which is game code modification, not engine code).  It'll have a few bots running around for something to shoot at.  You might notice odd behavior if you do a map_restart regarding the "FFA starts in X seconds" message.  This is known, no worries.  If all goes well with the stability testing then I'll have myself a development environment in linux, which means I can develop a stand-alone engine for Generations. <3

Edit:  Server is up.  Check All-Seeing Eye, Gamespy, or the In-game browser in Gen to see  it.  Don't worry about the strangely high port number, seems like this is normal for running Linux behind a router without doing a bunch of configuring of iptables, etc.  Let me know how it runs.  I'll leave it up overnight.

Edit:  Forgot to say, server is back down because I needed my machine back.
Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2006-04-02, 20:53 by Phoenix » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: