2024-03-28, 11:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who here sometimes uses... (3rd person for VQ3/Gen?)  (Read 6718 times)
Visimar

Archvile

« on: 2006-03-23, 07:16 »

Blame the topic title, it wouldn't fit all that in there. Anyhow, who here sometimes switches from 1st person to 3rd person just for the hell of it?

I myself am getting into it. Although hitscan weapons suck because of no crosshair, I find it fun peeking around a corner and blasting some foe when they didn't see me peak. Plus it givs you sort of a wider view. It's a shame that cg_thirdpersonrange can't be changed without 'cheating'...I would have liked to set that to 100. =(

P.S.: I didn't know if this would fit under the Generations Arena forum, so I stuck it here. Move it if you want. =P
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-03-23, 21:37 »

Well, the thirdperson commands are cheat protected because you can change both angle and distance.  Setting a negative distance will move the camera through the player.  I don't know how useful it would be, but I'm sure a script kiddie could exploit it somehow.  I've run around in thirdperson before.  I use it a lot for testing weapon models out.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2006-03-23, 22:35 »

I use thirdperson at times when playing single player (it's how I found the swim animation bugs with Doom and Klesk). Behind my character.. then 4 clicks back to get the whole character on screen.

I also use it when I make my sigs... the ones relating to Gen anyway.

If there was an adjusted crosshair and a preset distance/angle or something, I'd probably use it more often

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #3 on: 2006-03-24, 10:00 »

Yeah, the main problem with thirdperson is that there is no crosshair. Too bad, I kinda like to walk around in 3rd person.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2006-03-24, 14:48 »

When I lose a round, you'll know I used thirdperson mode. Because it's much harder to play, you see. Ofcourse that doesn't mean I'm not using thirdperson when I'm winning - actually, I use it all the time. I'd prove it, but my dog at my webcam.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2006-03-24, 19:20 »

Quote from: Tabun
I'd prove it, but my dog at my webcam.
Ahh, but can you prove the dog even exists?  Does this computer even exist?  Does Tabun actually exist?  Does anything?  What about the dead guy in the unmarked grave, how can we ever prove anything to him?

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #6 on: 2006-03-25, 03:43 »

I've found that sticking a bit of Blu-Tack to the centre of the screen makes thirdperson much more enjoyable Thumbs up!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #7 on: 2006-03-26, 01:00 »

Doesn't that block the view somewhat? O.o;
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #8 on: 2006-03-26, 01:29 »

No more than the player model taking up part of the screen, I'd assume

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #9 on: 2006-03-26, 20:56 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Ahh, but can you prove the dog even exists?  Does this computer even exist?  Does Tabun actually exist?  Does anything?  What about the dead guy in the unmarked grave, how can we ever prove anything to him?
Who the spork are you? Ren? Descartes?

Beer? I'm down.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2006-03-26, 22:38 »

Quote from: Phoenix
<font color=#FFFF00>Ahh, but can you prove the dog even exists?  Does this computer even exist?  Does Tabun actually exist?  Does anything?
Exactly. We may exist, but we may not be what we think we are.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2006-03-26, 23:18 »

Sure we may. Especially if your name is Descartes: we can be especially sure we are what we think we are. Just whip up a spiffy logical proof for God, meditate on 'clear and distinct'-ness and voila - you can know anything for sure. Easy peasy.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2006-03-26, 23:50 »

And what, pray tell, does this have to do with the price of taco sauce in Hong Kong?

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #13 on: 2006-03-27, 01:20 »

Quote from: IceDragonVisy
Doesn't that block the view somewhat? O.o;
I use it as a crosshair  Thumbs up!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2006-03-29, 00:47 »

I would use third person more often as well, but the lack of a crosshair, model transparency, and a smart third person camera really hinder my desire to.

scalliano:  Heh  I have a friend who does something similar, but he uses a washable marker.
« Last Edit: 2006-03-29, 00:49 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: