2024-04-20, 00:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Behavior? (At what cost...)  (Read 13983 times)
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #20 on: 2006-04-19, 06:41 »

It has been my experience that those who appear good and those who appear evil are kind of backward in what kind of person they really are...

So in my case yay evil people  Sipgate - Evil
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2006-04-19, 19:06 »

I agree it is idiotic to lend special privileges (that is, positive discrimination) to any religious or demographic group (and that includes both Sjeik friends as well as less wealthy Arabs, for instance). But to say that is eagerness to protect evil is simply nonsense. People are fairly quick to be (at least superficially) 'politically correct', but they are not promoting 'evil'. Nor is being (overly) kind to foreigners a 'pact with the devil'. Statements like the one I'm responding to is exactly why I usually lean to erring on the positive-discrimination side - there's plenty of people being 'patriots' out there. You know, the types promoting torture? ;]

Frankly, I think the camp isn't being shut down because it doesn't hit the news. It sounds like a prank (because surely a thing like this couldn't happen in civilized parts of the world). Every time I tell people about this, I get the same response: "What? Really?" - get a good week of media attention (even though there's no dough in it for them) and I'll bet there will be some incentive for action...
« Last Edit: 2006-04-19, 19:09 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #22 on: 2006-04-19, 19:12 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Maybe you should all take a good, cold look at your leaders and figure out how much they are really worth.
Who, Blair?? Give me a break, that prick ranks several grades below the shit on my shoe.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2006-04-19, 19:31 »

Quote from: Tabun
People are fairly quick to be (at least superficially) 'politically correct', but they are not promoting 'evil'.
I see no difference between the two.  Failing to uphold what is good is promoting evil by default.  Or, as more commonly put, evil flourishes when good people stand by and do nothing.  Failing to call evil what it is allows it to gain a foothold in your psyche.  It allows heinousness to become tolerable.  Someone who wants to kill infidels in the name of Allah is evil, and I will never apoligize for the use of the term.  Evil is very real and comes in many forms.  Let's not mince words here, you know I won't ever be politically correct.  Political correctness is nothing but using clever language to bullshit people into accepting a certain way of thinking anyway.  That's another form of brainwashing.  I'll never be one to softpeddle how I feel about something.  Always expect me to be straight forward and somewhat shocking.  I try to be respectful, but I'll only do that where I feel respect is due; where I feel it has been earned.  Besides, this world needs a good kick in the balls to wake it out of complacency.

This is not about false patriotism either.  My point there was that certain people will defend murderers but they become scarce when it does not suit their political agendas.  They do not have true compassion, they only play at it to manipulate the public.  I think you can understand what I mean in this.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2006-04-19, 21:38 »

I'm not easily shocked (that's what my study is for) but I guess there's just something about the idea that being particularly kind to Arabs is abhorrent that does not sit well with me. If only Christians were treated with such care (at least by the authorities) in the middle-east, that wouldn't sound at all bad to me. It sounds like the Christian thing to do, too.

Neglecting your own kids is abhorrent, but I don't see it being in direct competition with any other kind of altruism.

Being vengeful is only human, but failing to see (in some cases whole groups of) people in the first place as enemies, and only after that as human, that just doesn't work for me (and I have no religious zeal whatsoever).

I'm sure a lot of politicians don't let true compassion play any serious role in their job or the decisions it requires them to make. I make no illusions about that, as you well know, but I don't see it as a reason to start kicking people in the teeth myself. I'm a live and let live wuss, right up to the point where we're talking real threat and proven menace.
« Last Edit: 2006-04-19, 21:41 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2006-04-20, 17:54 »

Quote from: Tabun
I guess there's just something about the idea that being particularly kind to Arabs is abhorrent that does not sit well with me.
You misunderstand, I'm not opposed to humane treatment of prisoners of war or, in this case, detainees, "enemy combatants" - whatever category they fall into.  No, it's actually part of my point.  People are out there calling this kind of treatment torture and protesting against it for political reasons while these adolescents are being subjected to the real thing and nobody's raising a fuss.  I was using that as an example of how screwed up people's priorities are, and how useful idiots still serve their purpose all too well in today's world.

As for vengeance, well, I'm one for overcoming evil with good.  I prefer it that way.  I am not opposed to violent struggle when necessary, but that doesn't mean I think it should be the first recourse in a dispute.  Remember, I used to see all humans as evil, and as enemies, without regard for their being, struggles, or pain.  It is because of my religious zeal that I changed my perspective, or rather, I was changed and the change in my perspective followed.  Humility can be a very painful lesson to learn, and suffering can teach one compassion as well.  Where the danger lies is with those who are apathetic, and lack compassion of any kind.  What kind of parent would send their child away to be brainwashed?  What kind of parent would strap their child with explosives?  Is murdering the body any worse than murdering the mind?  What point does something have to reach before it's considered outrageous enough to warrant action?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #26 on: 2006-04-20, 18:42 »

I read you. Just had to check on the meaning of the words used.

Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #27 on: 2006-04-27, 11:31 »

I've been reading this topic for a bit, and I really don't have much to say in this other than the 'prison' disgusts me to no end. But I do have something I want to say.

Evil can never be truly extinguished. In my belief, it is there to balance out the good. With any good deed comes a small, evil twist to it, even if it is completely unnoticeable by mere mortals like us.

I can't really go into detail, as I have a habit of making people misunderstand if I do so; I'm one to give out my words simply. But my point is, no matter how hard you try to destroy evil, it will always be there...always lurking...

But just to clear up on any thoughts about me, I'm not a part of any religion. I'm mostly neutral, so if I offend people who are actually in a religious community I apologize. I have my own beliefs of what is proper and what is not, which run a high risk of conflicting with such religions, thus I am only truly faithful in myself.

I shall slip into the shadows again to lurk once more... Slipgate - Ninja
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2006-04-27, 20:11 »

Misunderstandings are never a good thing.  They lead to unnecessary strife, and should always be avoided.  Being honest about one's beliefs, whatever they may be, should not be cause to offend.  People will differ in what they believe for certain, and certainly those of us with strong beliefs have strong opinions as a result.  For myself, I am certainly very passionate about my beliefs, as I am a passionate creature.  Still, I trust God's wisdom that He will bring people to where they need to be, and I trust in His mercy that He will guide those who may be following a different path.  I realize many don't share this sentiment, but I see no logic in trying to forcibly change someone's mind.  That only leads to resentment, and any such motions one goes through as a result are not rooted in love nor honesty.  To me that's missing the point.  It's up to the person to find their own path.  Those of us who do believe one way or another should be like lighthouses, beacons showing the way, ambassadors setting our best examples as representatives of our faith, not an inquisitor's lamp glaring into someone's face while the man in the shadows speaks fearful words.

As a board moderator I'm not going to let my strong beliefs, or anyone elses for that matter, bully people off the board.  I will passionately defend what I believe, and I will certainly discuss it openly, but I don't use these forums as a bully pulpit and I won't tolerate others doing the same.  You are welcome here no matter what you believe, so don't feel the need to lurk unless you truly desire to lurk.  It's only bad behavior that we take offense to.  We try to remain reasonable in all things..

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: