2024-04-18, 02:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: co-op play on lan  (Read 5309 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« on: 2006-06-02, 18:39 »

I'm trying to get a list together of all the FPS that can be played co-op on a lan. this is because my sons can't play DM when they come to visit, as the one with the lowest score always bitches etc and storms off.

I have Q1 and Q2, and I believe hexen 2 can be co-op, but what else? can diakatana? or is that scraping the bottom of the barrel?

BTW anybody knoew a good 3D engine for hexen 2?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-02, 19:44 »

Two more games that can play coop:

Serious Sam
Serious Sam:  The Second Encounter

Good Hexen 2 engine?  I've been using NewHexen.  Be sure to read the entire readme if you don't have Portal of Praevus.

Don't forget you can play DOOM coop too!!!  If you have Zdoom or Doomsday I'd use one of those.  Setting up a coop game in Zdoom is a little tricky, but it's a lot more stable than trying to use Zdaemon for coop.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-02, 19:52 »

Right. I'm downloading the new newhexen as i type. I'll give it a go. then I'll tomorrow probably try zdoom. they'll love that. I have chasm the rift but don't think it's co-op, unless anyone else knows.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2006-06-02, 23:25 »

DOOM 3 can also be played co-op via the Last Man Standing mod.  There's also some pretty good co-op mods for Unreal Tournament such as Xidia Gold & Operation Na Pali .  I'm pretty sure there are also some co-op mods for HL, but I'm not familiar with any of them.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2006-06-02, 23:55 »

thanks. I remember trying Operation Na Pali before, a couple or three years ago, and getting half way, then loosing it, probubly due to a reformat. seemed to do a lot at the time. I'll get both of them and give them both a go. Na Pali was a lot of fun, if i remember rightly.

Pho: I don't know if i have Portal of Praevus. I bought it for the sons a few years ago, but they seem to have lost it somewhere, under tons of rubble and CD's and warhammer in one of the bedrooms. They say they'll look for me (yer, right) but I might have made a copy before i gave it to them.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #5 on: 2006-06-03, 02:20 »

It's been said already, but I'll add my worthless two pennies anyway...
Serious Sam/2nd Encounter is a blast co-op with the right settings.

oh yea.. and System Shock 2 has co-op as well.
« Last Edit: 2006-06-03, 02:21 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2006-06-03, 03:11 »

You don't need PoP to use NewHexen, but you have to read the readme file.  I never knew there was coop for Unreal.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2006-06-03, 15:32 »

update:

I have installed newhexen, and am very impressed with it. I still don't have PoP. but that does not matter at the moment. Don't know why I didn't try hexen 2 before. possibly not enough ranged weapons.

I don't believe there is co-op for unreal as such, but the 2 single layer mods for UT are now installed, and run ok. System Shock 2 I will look into. serous sam? I believe the lads have it, so will try and dig it up from 'the bedroom with no visible floor space'. (it really is that bad).

Tried a co-op game of hexen 2 by myself, - walked around a corner, ran into something very large, got killed on the spot. tried again, same again. etc. this works, but i need to get some back up before going in again!

thanks lads for the help.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2006-06-03, 18:40 »

That "Something very large" was probably a golem, and yes they will smack the daylights out of you if you let them get close.  The stone golems especially are bad since they can charge.  You can keep just at the edge of melee range and chip away at the other kinds, but I recommend ranged weapons on the grey stone golems.  The Necromancer's magic missiles, the Assassin's bow, and the Crusader's ice mace work very well.  Good luck if you're the Paladin.  They also don't climb stairs, so use that to your advantage.

Watch out for knight archers using ballistae as well (giant, mounted crossbows for the uneducated).  There are only a few in the game, but If you suddenly hear something that sounds like a chair breaking next to you for no reason then keep moving and look out!  You can tell a ballista projectile because it looks like a giant wooden spear.  If you see where it came from, you can follow its trajectory back to the source since they fly in a straight line.  Ballistae are enchanted, so even if you kill the archers near them they still fire at you.  Take advantage of the long reload time to attack the ballista.  You can break them.  There are even a few hidden around in the game that you can use yourself.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2006-06-03, 23:10 »

Well thank you for the advice. We played an hour tonight with random levels and had a laugh, then went on the euro server for a while.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: