2024-04-19, 08:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Most Memorable Gaming Moment  (Read 24346 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #20 on: 2006-06-05, 14:43 »

Quote from: Kajet
I'm kinda surprised no one has said anything about Aeris's death in Final Fantasy 7...
Yeah, that too. I was mortified Slipgate - WTF It's just that there's so many moments to think of.

Then there was the first time I reached the "board game" section of Gunstar Heroes on the Mega Drive. I was in fits of laughter for about a week over how cool it was.

And, of course, the first custom WAD I ever downloaded for Doom II. Get yer teeth into this!!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2006-06-05, 15:46 »

Tab:  Anything that stands out counts.  It can be a great victory, an utterly humiliating player death, a "wtf just happened...?" or a "that is SO COOL!"  Anything that sticks in your mind above and beyond the usual events of gameplay.  Lame stuff counts too, so if you remember an absurdly pathetic thing a game designer may have done that really, really ruined it for you... that could be another topic altogether I suppose, but we're here so let's go with it.  Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #22 on: 2006-06-05, 16:05 »

When i was a kid about 6 years old my family moved from orange county in southern California to Sonoma county in northern California. We lived in an area called Annapolis which couldn't really be called a town because it was just a stretch of highway in the middle of the woods with a liquor store in the middle where the local Indians would come down from the reservation and get their hooch. Everyone in the area worked at the local saw mill cutting redwoods so it was mostly migrant workers and hillbilly's, Since everyone around there was relatively poor nobody had any Nintendo games but the standard Super Mario Brothers/Duck hunt cart. Since my dad had his fancy city learning from Junior college we had a bit of a higher standard of living than our neighbors ( the fact that my parents didn't piss away all their money of cigarettes and booze like everybody else around there really helped too) We were able to own not just the pack in game but also Zelda II the adventure of link. I can still remember sitting in that shack of a house looking at that shiny gold cartridge. I get a feeling of sweet nostalgia when ever i hear its opening tune. My older brother Andrew and i would park it in front of the tv for hours completely mystified. Even today when my dad hears the Zelda tune he starts whistling. I don't think he knows what the song is he just seems to remember it.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2006-06-05, 16:50 »

Well, I've had some immersion-destroying experiences, one of which I shot a screenshot of:

That made me burst out laughing, while the game devs probably had anticipated me to experience that particular scene as creepy and tense. :]

Another goof that I'll never forget is this:

Ikari Warriors for the Commodore 64. We both died on the bridge and spawned in the pool of water -- from which there is no escape. Not even by dying. End of game, regardless of the # of credits left. Hilarious and annoying at the same time!

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #24 on: 2006-06-05, 21:14 »

Quote from: Tabun
Well, I've had some immersion-destroying experiences, one of which I shot a screenshot of:

what game is that Tab? i don't think I've ever seen it.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2006-06-05, 22:15 »

It's F.E.A.R. Not something to worry about if you've missed it, but it's not a bad FPS.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2006-06-06, 07:51 »

I'm kinda surprised no one has said anything about Aeris's death in Final Fantasy 7...
Because I played RPG's before FF7, and therefor HATE IT WITH THE PASSION OF A THOUSAND BURNING SUNS. *ahem*

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #27 on: 2006-06-06, 09:15 »

I have to say this, the stroggification scene in QIV is absolutely... shocking. And killing Hitler in Wolf3d felt so good. And there's nothing like playing Sonic 2 for the Genesis  'till the end.

But man oh man, one the most irritating moments of all times was when I reached the Nihithilant or whatever in HL1. I destroyed the crystals and was about to kick some ass, when SUDDENLY, the game got stuck. Brilliant. And the fuuniest part is that I only managed to end HL1 once because the game would get stuck every single damn time. That's when the G-Man came. That sequence was worth waiting for, the G-Man rawks!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2006-06-06, 17:43 »

Love the Tombstone, Tabby!  Slipgate - Laugh

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #29 on: 2006-06-06, 17:59 »

walking around in an enemy uniform in MGS3, and being able to punch enemies in the groin without them even thinking about retaliating

playing zone of enders and winning a fight without really knowing what's going on.

playing (the first few) ridge racer games and using your own music instead of the game's soundtrack
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #30 on: 2006-06-06, 18:01 »

Quote from: Angst
Because I played RPG's before FF7, and therefor HATE IT WITH THE PASSION OF A THOUSAND BURNING SUNS. *ahem*
ELITIST!!!

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #31 on: 2006-06-06, 18:54 »

FF7 was a bad game. Very bad.... Barf.

Anyway, my first memorial experiance was when I played a FPS for the first time. It was Doom on the sega 32x. I was only five years old. I thought it was the best game ever made, and it looked so real. I remember trying to figure out what the little thing in the center of the screen was for, and how to actually play it. After a few days I came to the conclusion that I was in someone else's point of view and was hold a gun at the center of the screen. I remember gunning down my first zombie. That was great.

My first multiplayer exeperiance was linking two playstations together and playing Doom deathmatch, we bindged for at least 10 hours.

Then I played Duke Nukem 3d, that was the only other FPS I played since Doom. That was awsome.

I bought the level design book for Duke 3d.

I made a single player level for a whole year and a half. I spend between 2 and 8 hours on it a day. It was so huge, I had to think about stopping the creation of it and making an ending because it was going to go out of the boundries of the grid. It took a lot of testing. My grandpa was such a freaking pro at build (the level editor) He made some really awsome levels, and he helped me test it. It took him almost 4 hours to beat my level when it was done. It took almost 5 minutes to load the map. I remember using hyper terminal to transfer the +10meg map file to him. That took forever. BTW I was only 9 years old when I made it. Slipgate - Distraught I'll see if I can dig up the file and I will upload it and post it.

Then there was the QTest. Oh yeah, that was great. I was amazed at the graphics. They were so real. We didn't try multiplayer until we bought it. That was great. Long all nighters playing that.

Then I started making maps for quake. That was a lot different than Doom or  Duke 3d I learned.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #32 on: 2006-06-06, 21:36 »

No, FF8 was turd. so was 9 and 10.

I originally had 32x Doom before I got my PSX. I had the 32x for just over a year before it stopped working for some reason. Shame, as I really enjoyed playing arcade-perfect Afterburner on it ...

... I love emulators  <3

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #33 on: 2006-06-07, 19:43 »

I've just remembered that the real first FPS that I played was the bit in a jerassic park game, where alan grant goes into a boulding and uses gas bombs etc to kill some dinos. I can't remember what console it was on, but it was my sons, around at my ex-wives house. my son was so scared by that bit of the game (he was about 6 or 7) that you wouldn't stay in the room when I played it for him. Anybody else tell me what this was? I thought that the graphics were amazing at the him. to cut down the screen area and rendering area the screen showed the view of the player though 'goggles' on the screen. apart from this bit it was a top view game, i think.

in fact this was it:
http://www.armchairempire.com/classic_gami...rassic-park.htm
« Last Edit: 2006-06-07, 19:45 by shambler » Logged
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #34 on: 2006-06-07, 20:09 »

I hear everyone saying how great FF7 was, but then the 1337 people say that it sucked. Weird.

On a more recent wave of events, Zelda-The Minish Cap was a very good game, now playing Zelda-Ocarina of Time. I didn't remember how badass Zelda was compared to all those Pokemon-alike RPGs.
« Last Edit: 2006-06-07, 20:09 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #35 on: 2006-06-08, 01:49 »

Now time for some "classic" gaming moments...

Edit: This post is going to be too big.  I'll just do memorable moments from Nintendo 64 games for now.

First and foremost, I have to go with Conker's Bad Fur Day and the Great Mighty Poo scene.  Seeing this for the first time was not only an indication of how far games had come, but the everything about the fight just screamed style.  (It's just a shame the Conker remake for the X-Box censored the song.)

Video: Original Version
Video: X-Box Version

Sadly, the video quality is not too good on either of these.

And if you really found the song catchy, you can actually download the uncensored song from both versions from Rare's (the developer's,) website.

Go here for the X-Box version.
Go here for the original version.

I have yet another memorable moment from Conker's Bad Fur Day.  When you first start the game you come across an alcoholic scare-crow who explains the importance of the "context-sensitive" commands in Conker.  Upon pressing the "sensitive to context" button, a bottle of beer appears which Birdy (alcoholic scare-crow) proceeds to chug.  If you keep pressing the (clever) context sensitve button, you'll be treated to a little cutscene.  A bottle of helium appears which Birdy also sucks down and says, "Really, nice helium.  Eh-heh-heh." in a high-pitched, scratchy voice.  The re-enactment of this scene was a popular way for my friends and I to entertain ourselves for a few months.

IGN has most of this scene from Conker's Bad Fur Day.  (Although, it is broken up across two different videos sadly.)

I <3 Conker, but I don't want my entire post to be about that game.

So let's go with another Rare title, Perfect Dark, the spiritual successor to GoldenEye 007.

Everything about Perfect Dark rocked, but the multi-player is where it's king.

My friends and I were particularly fond of the following death-match configuration...

Map

Fortress (Two-story fort with four inter-connected buildings and a bridge out in the open in the middle))

Weapons

Tranquilizers (Blurs enemy vision or kills them instantly if you can get close)
Crossbow (Blurs enemy vision or kills them instantly)
N-Bombs (Blurs enemy vision badly and forces them to drop their weapon)
Grenades (Timed-fuse or bounces about randomly and explodes when near enemy)
Slayer (Fires non-homing rocket or fires fly-by-wire rocket)

Essentially, this combination led to a lot of drunken fist fighting, blindly falling to your death, blowing yourself up, and flying rockets around while you couldn't see worth a damn.

Moving on...

While I do long for the suits in Super Mario Bros 3, the power-ups in Super Mario 64 were incredible.  Mario 64 was the first truly 3D game I played, and being able to explore the world fully by flying about it was truly incredible to me.  Surfing about on a turtle was also pretty damn fun as was turning into metal and treading about the buttom of the ocean.

Starfox 64 was freaking incredible.  It was the best looking game of its time in my opinion (and it had the best multi-player on the N64 until GoldenEye 007 came along.)  It was also the first to incorporate force feedback (Sadly, it's also one of the few games that actually does force feedback right.)  The most memorable moment for me was fighting Andross (the final boss.)  If you're not careful, Andross will suck you into his mouth and start chewing on your ship.  The force-feedback just made it so much more immersive, ca-crunch, ca-crunch.  I'd purposely got eaten to feel it again. Slipgate - Laugh

While I prefer the gameplay in Turok: Rage Wars, Turok 2 had the better death animations.  One of my favorite ways to off an opponent would be to shoot them with a fully charge eletrical blast from the Charge Dart Rifle.  While they were jerking around being eletrocuted, I'd finish them off with the cerebral bore.  (For the unaware, the cerebral bore fires a little homing device that bores into an enemy's skull, blends their brain, and then explodes.)

Thankfully, the same originality in the Turok series was carried over to South Park.  There was a gun that would force the enemies to dance.  You could also piss on snowballs and throw them for more damage.  (I might also add that the force feedback for pissing on a snow ball is utterly awesome.)

Yuke!  Yuke! Toraburu Mekaasu or Mischief Makers in the US.  This was the very first import game I played, and oh wow, was it awesome.  (Usually any game by Treasure is awesome really.)  I seriously <3 whatever big-wig at Video Avenue/Hollywood Video decided to start importing Ultra 64 titles and putting them out for rent.  (They even cut the plastic of the cartridge to fit the US N64.)

I have a really great memory of my father and I playing Mace the Dark Age.  (It is extremely rare for my father to play videogames at all, but he does fighting games, because he's good at button mashing.)  One of us was the janitor and the other was evil knight guy.  He kept knocking me into the lava, and I melted.  (Sadly, nostalgia is a bitch.  Mace is a horrid fighting game in retrospect.)

GoldenEye 007 is one of the few games that had cheat codes that were never cracked until several months/years later.  I'm talking about the button code that allowed you play as 64 additional characters.  The paint-brush arm glitch was also pretty cool, especially with paintball mode enabled.

No one believed me when I said, Super Smash Bros. will be awesome.  Every one of my friends wanted me to shut up about it.  (I was raving how awesome it'd be for about a month.)  Naturally, I was the first of my friends to buy the game, and I invited three people over.  Needless to say, those same three people bought it the very next day.

I unlocked every car in Multi-Racing Championship.  And I tweaked the ultimate car to handle even better.  Sadly, I lost my save file, and I've never been able to re-tweak the car to perfection since.

Pokemon Stadium brought Pokemon into 3D, and it looked incredible. (Too bad, the same formula would be repeated over and over again with nearly every damn 3D Pokemon game.)

And I think that's it for the N64.

Edit: I fixed the Conker videos link.  I typed "y" instead of 7. :p
« Last Edit: 2006-06-08, 05:40 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #36 on: 2006-06-08, 05:22 »

Ok, that was disturbing Kain.  The link to the IGN page is a 404 as well.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #37 on: 2006-06-08, 17:16 »

Quote from: [KruzadeR
] I hear everyone saying how great FF7 was, but then the 1337 people say that it sucked. Weird.
That's why they're leet Slipgate - Wink FF7 goes mainstream and suddenly their private little world is blown wide open Slipgate - Tongue personally I thought the whole game was a memorable moment.

(dons asbestos suit)

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #38 on: 2006-06-09, 07:37 »

*lights scalliano on fire*

No, what I hated about ff7 was the weak plot, and obsession with eyecandy. and boobs.

I started RPG's somewhere between the NES and PC. The most memorable being FF1, FF4, FF6, Secret of Mana, and Chrono trigger, as time progressed.

I actually didn't play FF7 as soon as it came out. The first RPG I played on the PSX was Wild Arms. Great plot, plenty of twists, and puzzles that actually made me think. FF7 got rave reviews, and I took a spin because, heck, it was Squaresoft.

I can't begin to describe how much I hated it.. Slow progression, weak characters, weak WILLED characters.. It was a massive emofest. Cloud is a bloody worthless schitzo, Sephiroth is a whiny mama's boy, and Boobs-er-Tifa's character was secondary to her assets. Oh, and let's not forget the cinematics... oooo shiny.... 4 discs long, 3 of which is MOVIE MATERIAL.

I can understand why the guy who put everything I enjoyed about Final Fantasy QUIT during that project. They wouldn't let him write it, they wanted popular, they wanted marketing, they wanted eyecandy.

@#$% eyecandy, I buy games to play games, if I wanted eyecandy, I'd have bought a movie.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2006-06-09, 08:15 »

So, we're done listing the memorable things and have gone on to part 2: 'babbling about annoying sub-par games', now? :]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: