2024-03-28, 20:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Most Memorable Gaming Moment  (Read 23825 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2006-06-04, 09:46 »

If you think back to all the games you've played, what stands out most in your mind?  I'm not talking just multiplayer, I mean any game.  What one thing left the biggest impression on you?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-04, 09:55 »

DooM and MDK. These games amazed me back in the old days. They were... amazing!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-04, 10:40 »

I was thinking more along the lines of a specific event in a game, or a specific trait, weapon, "holy cow" moment, etc.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2006-06-04, 11:18 »

One that springs to mind is when i defeated the first cyberdemon in doom, by getting into the room in the center, and getting behind the stone in the middle, and killing it when it couldn't shoot back, rather than going head to head with it. my sons where gob smacked, cos until then they'd just gone in with rockets blazing away, rather than brains. it changed the way we all looked at games and the way to play them for us.

first game i ever played, the first time, was Q1. I went in the first level, on easy, and shot the dogs and men over the bridge, and could se the dropped pack spining when they were dead. I couldn't see what it was, as my resolution was at the lowest setting, and stayed on my side of the bridge about half an hour, 'under cover' just looking at it, not sure what to do, or what it was.

these where the days before mouse look, and I had no manual for the game, didn't even know if I could start again if I was killed, (having never played any other computer game) seems so silly now.

Slipgate - Ownage
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #4 on: 2006-06-04, 11:38 »

Not really a game moment but i remember looking at some models on the Polycount site and thinking what the hell? it took me a little while to realize that you can make your own models on some PC games... just part of changing from console to comp i guess. lol

that and once a LONG ass time ago, i was playing lock and chase on atari 2600 (the actual console not via emulator so it was probably a decade ago) and i trapped some/one of the enemies and the game just started making this weird ass noise and it scared the crap outta me
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2006-06-04, 14:22 »

I remember scoring 8 or 10 air rocket hits long (from one end of q3dm18 to the other) to medium distance in a row, when playing 1on1 vs Alucard. That was the one time I managed to impress myself. ;]

More generally, I was pretty much flabbergasted by one of the Doom-only-night games, you know, the one where there server was fully loaded with players? Just gazing at the utter chaos felt very rewarding. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2006-06-04, 21:23 »

My memories are of a different nature from Tab's impressive accomplishment there.  One event that springs to my mind was the first time I encountered the cyberdemon in Doom.  I was inside one of the four rooms with all the rockets in them, and I had just killed the flying skulls outside the door.  Well, that woke up whatever was out on the level, and I wasn't too thrilled with this big, loud, mechanical noise.  I was gathering up rockets, turned away from the door when all of a sudden BOOM!  BOOM!  I'm DEAD!  That was quite unnerving since I never saw what it was that got me, never saw the actual attack, and it had killed me instantly.  He didn't seem so mysterious and tough after a reload and I actually got out the door.  "Oh, so that's why I died, it's got a freaking rocket launcher..."

Another moment I can think of is in the game Trespasser.  I'm not much on killing dinosaurs, rather fond of them actually, but I was intrigued by the whole immersive "roam at will" element of the game, and physics, etc.  First game I had ever seen where you could wander around in big outdoor areas, and, well, it has dinosaurs in it.  Normally the raptors are fairly single minded in that they see player, charge player, try to kill player.  However, the behavior was a lot more complex if you stopped and watched.  If injured, they'd back off, and run away if you chased them while they were hurt.  You could wound one, and use the time to get to an area out of their reach, instead of wasting ammo to kill them.  The one part that really stood out was when I was traversing a ravine.  Toward the end of it, one of the raptors wandered up to me, got really close, sniffed me, and paced back and forth like it was curious.  I could use the player's arm to reach out and touch the thing and it wouldn't hurt me.  It followed me around for a while, and went back to its territory after I wandered away.  It was rather unexpected, and kind of neat.

The first time I beat Half-Life I was dead tired.  I think I had played 8 hours straight.  Well, I don't know how it is for humans, but being dead tired I don't process information quite the same as when I'm fully conscious.  I can function and react to my environment, but I go into a sort of trance-like state.  I felt strange after I woke up the next day, because the whole encounter with Nihilanth (the end boss) was bizarre to begin with, and it felt like I had dreamed the whole thing.

Last one then it's someone else's turn.  I had a similar experience the first time I beat Unreal.  Once you shut down the reactor core to the Skaarj ship, everything gets dark, and you're wandering around with this flood light.  Well besides the normal things like larvae and some loose mercenaries roaming the ship, there are a few "enhanced" skaarj from experiments that got loose.  What was creepy is you can barely see the bastards at all.  You just see this blue or green eerie glow coming at you, and they WILL NOT DIE.  You have to unload an insane amount of ordinance into them.  Getting attacked by monsters is one thing, getting attacked by "weird stuff" is a bit more unsettling, especially when you're already half conscious.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2006-06-04, 22:03 »

Hmm, I can't say I've had experiences of that type.. I do remember that .. Doom-II-desolation feeling. Running through enormous halls, sombre music, etc. Memorable, but not spectacular.

The last time a game nearly made me shit my pants, was when I played Doom 3. I'm sure someone else will remember the 'help me!'-hallway, where the screen goes red and a tiny girl's voice suddenly whispers in your ear. Caught me entirely off-guard :]

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2006-06-04, 22:48 »

Haven't done doom 3 myself, but i really filled my pants in undying, till i got used to the ghosts popping up.

I remember one time in Q1 when the loading went a bit wonky, and instead of zombies, i found 3 spinning nailguns slowly coming towards me! sounded like zombies, and when i went to pick one up, it attacked me just like a zombie would. the mdl files had somehow got mixed or something. seen that twice, and once when ogurs had the mdl file for the megahealth. anybody else seen this?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #9 on: 2006-06-05, 02:37 »

I had a Playstation long before I got hold of a PC and the first game I got for it was Doom. Similar to Pho and Sham's moments on Babel - very much a case of BOOM! BOOM! On the deck! However, the way that PSX Doom draws the red haze meant that as I hit the floor, all I could see was this giant red horned silouhette in the distance, and I remember feeling very queasy. BTW Sham, I learned that trick too Thumbs up!

Thing is, if you're on about memorable moments, nothing delivers like San Andreas. I remember once I was standing on the back of a flatbed truck speeding along the coastal road on the southwest corner of the map. I had a minigun and I was getting 4 stars worth of police attention (ie lots) when from out at sea flew a cropduster. It was flying incredibly low, so as it flew overhead I shot it down with the minigun, It exploded in mid-air and landed upside-down in the middle of the road in front of the pursuing cop cars and swat vans. As it crash-landed it exploded again, sending every single police unit on the road either into the sea or across the field in flames! Seriously, though, you'd have needed to be there ...

Fragging Hollowpoint with a stray Doom rocket from the opposite end of Vesperas has to be up there too.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2006-06-05, 02:40 »

Ahh, Vesperas.  There's a map I miss.  I never did manage to get anyone to do a good remake of it.  Consider this a blatant hint to any prospective, talanted mappers who might be reading this.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #11 on: 2006-06-05, 02:51 »

*cough* need free time Slipgate - Wink

moving right along, my most memorable gaming moment...

Well, there's the cyber.. except I lucked out and behind door #3 was FLAMING DEATH.

AvP was good, but nothing BLATANTLY new.

System Shock 2, now.. I remember trying to crack open this box, listening carefully for anything that might want to sneak up on me..

Next thing I know, I've got this pipe-wielding zombie muttering 'silence the discord!' playing percussion with my skull! At least--until I flipped out and turned it into a screaming pile of goo with my wrench..

Beyond that, I'd have to say Far Cry did awesome outdoor environments, and up until the mutants, the enemy AI was neat. Not too bright, but they weren't OMNISCIENT. There's something amusing about missing a guy, only to have him go ballistic on the bushes in the opposite direction of you.
« Last Edit: 2006-06-05, 03:17 by Angst » Logged

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #12 on: 2006-06-05, 03:02 »

Anything from my youth (12 and younger) would rank in the 'holy cow' category. My most memorable was Pac-Man tho... hell, I was better at it then than I am now! I remember making it up to the key levels... nowadays I can't even get past the apples. Note that I was two years old when I first started playing Pac-Man.. and I still have vague memories of it too.

All the new games are fine and dandy... but I'd say my most memorable games are those from when I was younger. Pac-Man, Archon for the Amiga, Super Mario Bros. I'd say all of those games, in general, made me say 'holy cow' at the time... and I still play them now (cept Archon, which I can't find), while also putting down anything new that comes out.

My first actual memory of a 'holy cow' IN a game tho is the Q1 fiend.. when I first saw one leap at me, I jumped about 5 feet off my chair and died. Nowadays, that's like the norm in an FPS game... I mean, they all have like at least one enemy that jumps at you... headcrabs, that ugly mofo in Q2, those retarded things in Doom 3..

EDIT: Even my brother says I should change my cellphone's ringtone to Pac-Man or Super Mario's outside theme.. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2006-06-05, 03:12 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2006-06-05, 04:42 »

I don't scare easily, but being a bird I do startle fairly well if something sudden happens.  I do remember one time I had some fun with Doom 1, Episode 2, Mission 4.  I turned the sound way up, the brightness way down, and the contrast way down so it was dark and difficult to see.  Back then monitors had little nifty wheels you could make easy adjustments with, and I wanted to see if I could make Doom a bit "creepier".  Everything was fine until DEMON IN THE FACE FROM NOWHERE, MAUL!!!  Did I mention I had the sound turned way up?  That one actually made me squawk.
« Last Edit: 2006-06-05, 07:30 by Phoenix » Logged

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2006-06-05, 05:27 »

Hehehe, yeah, I should see if I still have my legacy scripts that change gravity, lighting, fog, etc based on level..

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #15 on: 2006-06-05, 06:29 »

I remember the first time i played ANY game online... oddly enough it was Gen on i think the central server... i remember that it was strangely quiet as far as chat goes in fact no one said anything... of course it was because i had some no chat command on.

Or playing both Doom and Wolfenstien on a school computer, with the teacher's knowledge and permission, and having one teacher ask me how to play Pokemon... in another teacher's class.

And once in the wind waker zelda game, i had to do something like put out some fire or something similar and i couldn't figure out how to get water untill i read that all you had to do was use an empty bottle in some water... first time it struck me just how immersive games are becoming
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2006-06-05, 08:03 »

The problem with memorable gaming moments is that I don't remember most of the older ones. :p

Here's a few moments in recent memory...

Condemned has a feature where if you beat your opponent to a near death state, he'll sit/stand there dazed and you can finish him off ala Blood.  What made it so memorable to me, is that it actually flashes four different options on the screen quickly.  I didn't even fully read the option I chose, but I planted my fist square in the guy's face.  This is complete with motion blur and the camera becoming disoriented so it really makes you feel the impact. Slipgate - Smile

Without spoiling too much, Quake IV re-enacts a scene in real-time that was originally a cut scene in Quake II.  Not only was I extremely impressed with just how far games have come, but I was also blown away by the fact that my computer could handle such a thing.

Edit: Here's the scene from Quake IV I am in reference to.

The snowstorms in Lost Planet are incredibly beautiful.  Screenshots do not do the game justice in that regard.  (Neither does the particular video I linked to, but it gives you a better idea of what the game's like.)

I've had so many memorable car crashes in Full Auto.  It is the best "blow shit up" game in existence currently.

In the GBA port of Final Fantasy IV, there is a lengthy dungeon unlocked after you beat the game.  In the dugeon, there is a "trial" for each main character.  All of the trials provide a really unique take on the gameplay, but Kain's trial stands out the most.  It's perfectly in character for him and really shows just how much depth there is to him.

The Mortal Kombat series has always had a good sense of humor.  This is especially apparent in a scene from Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.  Liu Kang (or Kung Lao, I can't remember) is about to finish off Goro.  Johnny Cage (who has been largely absent at this point,) jumps between the two and motions for Liu to stop.  He then proceeds to kick Goro in the crotch so hard that Goro bleeds to death.  Johnny Cage just simply walks away at this point and Liu is left behind shaking his head.

Edit: Here's a video of most of the boss fatalities in Shaolin Monks (including Goro's.)

I'm going to end the post here.  I still have a few left, but they're from older games, and I want to try and remember some stuff back from when I was around 6 - 10 years of age. :p

Edit: I figured I'd add some links to provide some more info on what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: 2006-06-05, 09:14 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2006-06-05, 10:26 »

If we're talking silly + annoying memorable, there's about six-hundred awkward moments that I remember from nethacking. Also, I don't think any forgets their first ascension..

I'll never forget that little tombstone.. :]

Or sequences such as this one:

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #18 on: 2006-06-05, 13:18 »

With a little help from ePSXe I've recreated the PSX Doom moment I was talking about so I could show you all. Now, just imagine you've never seen a Cyberdemon before:

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #19 on: 2006-06-05, 14:12 »

I'm kinda surprised no one has said anything about Aeris's death in Final Fantasy 7...

Or in Metal Gear Solid 2 after finishing the tanker part i remember thinking "Is this a game or a freaking movie?"

Beating type B Tetris on level 9 - 5 the first time... without cheating, felt like i accomplished something
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: