2024-03-29, 01:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you think the... (human race will be over?)  (Read 6829 times)
Sucutrule

Tank Commander

KETEZEIT PEW PEW

« on: 2006-07-31, 00:29 »

Well,this post is self explanative but i'll give some ideas of some choices

On 8(mass insanity)I mean be the fact that in a war will so much violence that people will go insane(most of them)
On 9(mega-bacteria)is bacteria that may evolve into a bacteria that can resist all drugs made by the humans.

How I am supposed to type will all this cheese laying around?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-31, 01:17 »

I'm going to be the odd one out and be optimistic: the human race will not end (although this doesn't have to be all that positive). We will overcome the nuclear-weapon bottleneck, the single-planet/habitat bottleneck and after that it'll be a smooth ride for quite some time. Even more optimistically, I don't see humans (or whatever they'll call themselves by then) running around in pyama style jumpsuits acting all fancy-pants on aliens they know jack about.

In any case, I'd say this poll question is a typical example of the 'complex question' mistake  ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-31, 03:33 »

Mankind will be "over" at Judgement Day.  Judgement Day, properly speaking, is the time God sorts those written in the book of life from those not written in the book of life, afterward God reforms the universe.  The human race as you know it will cease to be, as will all things in the universe, as all things will be made anew, flawless, and perfected.  That does not mean your souls will cease to exist, or any other kinds of souls, regardless of what physical form they had previously occupied, but what you call human today will forever be gone.  It will be made into something more glorious.  When's Judgement Day?  1,000 years after Christ returns to earth.  When will that be?  7 years after the beginning of the Tribulation.  When does that begin?  Nobody knows for certain, but there are signs that say soon.  Many will disagree I'm sure, that is their prerogative so please nobody turn this into a discussion about the validity of any of this.  We can do that in another thread if you like.

Now, that being said, I have to go with "Biblical Omens" since it's the only answer that best fits the scenario I describe.  As much as I may want the opposite to be true at times, I'm afraid human extinction is not in God's plan.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #3 on: 2006-08-01, 07:49 »

My money's on humanity ending due to overexposure to Daikatana.

That or bugging birdboy to hurry with the coding for v1.0.

Beer? I'm down.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #4 on: 2006-08-02, 22:28 »

Radiation is pollution, so I'll go with that, given the amount of nuclear fallout.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #5 on: 2006-08-04, 17:27 »

I'll go with the bible here. All living beings meet a beggining, and an ending. I doubt we'll stick around this planet for ever, but on other planets... that's another story.

Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #6 on: 2006-10-25, 03:19 »

Mega-Bacteria, and by the looks, 3 votes is top so far for bact plague..
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2006-10-25, 16:06 »

A disease killing a disease?  How poetic. Slipgate - Exhausted

And check again, you're tied with biblical omens.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2006-10-25, 16:46 »

By the way, the "how" question is ambigious. If read in the contemporary 'effective cause' sense, seeing omens as an answer of a causal nature is rather strange (maybe we should destroy all omens quickly, if they be the cause of our downfall Slipgate - Wink). If read in a 'final cause' sense, it would be a question after the end for which the human race would end, and how the circumstances in which this ending would occur stand in relation to it. In that case, I guess there are some possible answers, omens being the most obviously fitting.

If read in a third sense, namely, simply the manner in which the human race would end, then there is considerable overlap. I'm fairly sure most of the items (1,2,4,6,8,9,10 and who knows, maybe even 3 and 7) could be (part of) a biblical (or other kind of) omen. Then, voting for 5 is kind of a wuss's way out, since it has a higher chance of being correct than a choice reflecting a specific way that omens might point out.
So, I'm interested to hear what all those having selected the biblical omens would vote if it had not been in the list (or what specific manner they would have added to the list, to be able to select it). If this 'manner'-reading of the question is correct, I would want to add another item to the list: "12. By being destroyed by an incident." and vote for that, to be on the safe side... :]

And, as I hinted at before, the 11th answer should have been included and labeled: "Not. It won't".

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2006-10-26, 00:57 »

I do agree with Tabun that option #5 could be indicative of several of the other options on that list.  And I also agree that there should be an 11th option, but I would prefer "all of the above" as a choice. :p  Causation tends to be disproven; correlation is more likely to be accurate in my mind.  So maybe two extra options then, "all of the above" and "none of the above."

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2006-10-26, 02:35 »

Geez, it's just a silly poll.  I would say 5 is misworded.  Instead of biblical "omens" I think it would be more properly worded "biblical judgements", implying wrath of God, which does kind of include everything else to some degree.

Of course, if you really want to analyze it that deeply, saying mankind will end by biblical judgements is a double-edged sword.  First, if you accept the bible as valid, mankind does not ever actually end.  Second, if you accept the bible as valid, mankind as it is now will definitely end because mankind will be forever changed into something else.  So saying man goes on forever, or that mankind ends, are both technically correct depending on how you want to look at it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: