2024-03-28, 19:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some basic questions about Generations....... HELP (What happened to the "Monsters" mod?)  (Read 6017 times)
Esco

« on: 2003-07-21, 19:40 »

Wuddup ya'll.... been a long ass time since I've been up in any of the Quake or Doom forums! What can I tell ya'll.... I've been busy!  Thumbs up!

Anyways, I just got my new athlon xp 2000+ computer's pieces, and after slappin that bad boy together..... I decided to try out some quake 3.... and of course GENERATIONS arena was my mod of choice! I've always been a big ass fan of the old Generations for quake 2, so I figured this mod would be the illest thing since Chocolate Phillies!  Slipgate - Wink

However, I seem to have a little trouble starting up a one player game... in fact, it seems like I CAN'T! I tried going to console and adding a bot in a tournament game with just me, but I can't. Is there any way to play as the different classes in a one player game?

And one more thing... what ever happened to that mod they showed a year ago with a bunch of gladiators fighting an arachnotron? Are they still workin on that or what? It looked like it was gonna be tight as spork! It's in the old news archive under MONSTERS RETURN!
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-07-21, 20:30 »

However, I seem to have a little trouble starting up a one player game... in fact, it seems like I CAN'T! I tried going to console and adding a bot in a tournament game with just me, but I can't. Is there any way to play as the different classes in a one player game?

I think that tourney mode is broken, if I remember right, but adding bots is fairly simple.

The first step to playing generations is to read the manual. After doing so, you will find that adding a but, in the current beta release, must be done via the console.  

The command is: /addbot BOTNAME CLASS DIFFICUTLY
ex: /addbot hunter slipgate 5   (btw, this is a NASTY bot)

I know it's a bit clunky, but we're streamlining a LOT of things in 99c, which should be out within a couple weeks.

And to change your class, you can use the command /class.
ex: /class doom

Valid classes are Doom/Slipgate/Earth/Strogg/Gladiator
Esco

« Reply #2 on: 2003-07-21, 21:03 »

Believe it or not dawg, I did read the manual.... but I didn't put a slash mark in front of the addbot command... that would explain why it didn't work. Thanks for the help though, bro. It is really appreciated.   B)

Now I just want to find out what happened to the return of the monsters mod that was being worked on, and also.... why are the weapon skins shown on the main page, different from the ones in the game. (Ex. earth class flamethrower).... have they just not been implemented yet? Or is that a seperate pack I have to download? And I'm using earth class, and I've noticed he doesn't swing his knife.... I'm assuming that's work in progress according to what I've read? I just wanna be sure I've set that bad boy up right!

I'm pretty new to the world of quake 3.... so ya'll peeps be gentle, aight?  Slipgate - Laugh  Slipgate - Tongue

P.S. Love the AV ConfusedUS... Yoda stomped Duuku like a bitch!  Who's Your Daddy?
« Last Edit: 2003-07-21, 21:43 by Esco » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2003-07-21, 21:34 »

Resurgence is on the backburner till we get the core code (GenArena) up to par. There's a few parts of Gen that are basically just giant hacks, and in a game as complicated as resurgence will be, hacks == bad.
Esco

« Reply #4 on: 2003-07-21, 22:06 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
Resurgence is on the backburner till we get the core code (GenArena) up to par. There's a few parts of Gen that are basically just giant hacks, and in a game as complicated as resurgence will be, hacks == bad.
Yeah... I feel ya. I know how annoying it can be cleanin up programming code... ESPECIALLY someone else's!  <_<

Anyways dawg, thanks for all the help! Can't wait for Resurgnce though... I loved fighting the enemies in Doom 2, wolf 3d, etc.... can't wait to gib those mothaf**kers again! I've always wanted to see them all in 1 game, I just hope the mod doesn't just fade away like some many other good projects!  Slipgate - Sad

Should be tight, good luck with the mod!  Ya'll peeps seem to have mad skills! :hat:  Thumbs up!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-07-21, 22:56 »

Oh don't worry, as long as I'm around I guarantee it won't fade away.  I want to see this thing completed.  Slipgate - Smile

As for the Resurgence mode, it's still planned but we had more work than anticipated getting things fixed and moving forward with the core Generations code.

Our upcoming .99c release fixes the tournament mode completely.  Bots work flawlessly in tourney now.

Yes, weapons animations are backburnered until our 1.0 version release due to the fact that the weapons animation code has to be written from scratch since Q3 didn't include any.  It also helps to have all the weapon models done first. Slipgate - Wink

Thank you for the kind words!  If you want to, feel free to drop by our irc chat room #wirehead on irc.wireheadstudios.org and also irc.enterthegame.com.  We also hold regular saturday games.  Schedule's posted on the main Generations board at the top, although I need to update it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Esco

« Reply #6 on: 2003-07-22, 00:16 »

Oh don't worry, as long as I'm around I guarantee it won't fade away. I want to see this thing completed.

You and me both, dawg! Playing a game with all the main ID characters and monsters from the 5 different games would be a dream come true for me. I wanted to try and program something like that for Doom 2 and still do, but I lack the programming skills. Except I wanted to include characters from Heretic, Hexen, Doom, Wolf and Quake. And learning C++ isn't so easy without a teacher of some kind unfortunately.  <_<   Slipgate - Sad

And yeah.... I've noticed that when it comes to programming things they generally take longer than planned... computer code has a habit of bein a bitch sometimes! But it's good to see that the team has someone as diligent as you who wants to straight up make sure things go through... I can't wait to see how things turn out for ya'll peeps.  :hat:
[WaRdeN]

Team Member
Archvile

« Reply #7 on: 2003-07-23, 18:45 »

With the release date of Doom3 still unknown, and rumors forecasting it into Q4 2003 (Jan-Mar 2004) we may yet have time to do some Resurgence.

We'll see though. 99c is still a priority, and 1.0 after that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: