2024-04-19, 15:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Be Careful Out There  (Read 6148 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2006-08-30, 01:20 »

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...BAGAEKRCO55.DTL

I don't like posting this kind of stuff, but it's a sobering reminder to keep aware of everything that goes on around you.  This guy could have been just a nutcase, or enraged, or a terrorist for all we know at this point.  It doesn't take someone with an assault rifle to kill or hurt a lot of people, and this is about one of the worst ways I can think of for someone to go out and do it.  This sort of thing can happen anywhere, and to anyone.  I'm hoping this was just an isolated incident and not a symptom of something larger, but be careful no matter where you are.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #1 on: 2006-08-30, 07:22 »

Great, now they're going to blame GTA for this.

Beer? I'm down.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2006-08-30, 17:52 »

Quote from: McDeth
Great, now they're going to blame GTA for this.
Or Carmageddon

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #3 on: 2006-08-30, 18:34 »

Screw that, the blame lies solely with the guy behind the wheel. Ther have been a couple of incidents similar to this in my neck of the woods, one about 2 years ago not far from where I live. The thing that worries me particularly about this incident is that while the incidents local to me were caused by gangs of brain-dead adolescents, this was caused by a 29-year-old adult. I wouldn't assume he was a terrorist, but a nutcase, yeah, probably. Still, it goes to show just how dangerous modern society actually is.

As for GTA, well, in the words of Eminem: "There goes another lawsuit ..."

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2006-08-31, 05:22 »

There was a news report where a witness said the guy claimed he was a terrorist.  I couldn't play the video back because it was on one of those news sites where you have to run all sorts of crap to get video to play and doesn't like adblock and noscript, but I got this off WND which quotes the TV anchor:  http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?...RTICLE_ID=51749

I'm rather unhappy that authorities seem so quick to dismiss terrorism as a "possible motive".  I'd say terror was certainly the result for the people victimized by this freak, regardless of what was going through his mind.  He obviously was out to kill people.  Murder is murder, and humans have murdered since the beginning, but if this is a new trend, and if it is being fueled by Islamic extremism or anti-Western sentiment, then how many acts does it take before the authorities get their heads out of the sand and call it for what it is?  How many bodies have to be added to the count before they take it seriously?  Granted, this may be just a nut case who wanted to kill people.  If that's what it is, fine.  Try him, convict him, and do what the law requires, but I think the authorities are doing the country a disservice by ignoring the possibility of this guy acting as a lone terrorist.  I think it's a larger symptom of political correctness at work, as well as an unwillingness to face the uncomfortable ramifications of following this line of thinking to its conclusion.  Personally I hope it was an isolated incident.  Nobody wants to consider the possibility of hundreds of thousands of sleepers in their country, ready to do violence at a moment's notice, but it's the grim reality of this present age and it's the job of the authorities to keep this in mind.  If anyone thinks it's paranoid, I'd invite them to visit Ground Zero in New York City for a reminder of why constant vigilance is required in this troubled time.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #5 on: 2006-09-06, 21:07 »

Quote from: ~SpAwN~
Or Carmageddon
Holy crap I was just going to say that....

Draco

Hell Knight

« Reply #6 on: 2006-09-15, 01:04 »

i know the topic is kind of old but DAMN.......i go to san francisco at least once a month, and i byt chance will be going this very weekend >_>........i think.........ill be more careful even though i already am......jesus

Rev 9:6 "And in those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will long to die, and death flees from them."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: