2024-03-28, 21:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Duck and Cover  (Read 6680 times)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« on: 2006-09-12, 20:39 »

It's time to duck, and take cover, it seems...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sjf4ELVeX8&eurl=

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #1 on: 2006-09-12, 21:45 »

I'll duck and cover with my Yuletide lover while the air raid sirens blare.. *dances*

So ok.. someone tell me where in the Bible it actually gives a specific date for a nuclear war..

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #2 on: 2006-09-12, 21:47 »

I bet this endevor is to poke fun at God...

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2006-09-12, 21:52 »

It's this kind of individual that makes me cringe.  You cannot set dates on when Christ's return will be, nor predict when a nuclear war might start either.  I've been backwards and forwards through the prophetic texts in the bible, and I've not seen September the 12th anywhere mentioned.  So what did Jesus say about his return?  I'll quote it verbatim from Matthew chapter 24:36

"But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

So how can anyone know when it is going to be?  You can't.  However, you can tell when it's supposed to be near, as answered in the same book and chapter, skip back to verse 32:

Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer [is] nigh:  So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, [even] at the doors.  Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

The other signs prior in the chapter are self-explanatory to anyone who reads them.  The fig tree is the nation of Israel, identified in Joel chapter 1, Hosea chapter 10, and other places.  If interpretation is correct of the preceeding verses in Matthew 24, then the generation that lived to see Israel become a nation again would also witness the return of Christ.  That begun in 1948.  Some scholars have tried to pin 40 years (the time Moses wandered in the desert) on either 1948 or 1967 to set a date, which would mean Christ would return either in 1988 (whoops, guess we missed it) or 2007 (guess the Great Tribulation isn't that bad after all, and where's that bloody Antichrist?).  Well, there's problems with that because if you divide out the Jewish calendar you actually get 51 years for a generation, which would put the date at 1999 (Oh that blasted Y2K!) or 2018.  2018 - 7 = 2011 for the beginning of the tribulation if that's the case.  But how long is a generation exactly?  The bible does not say, so any of this is mere conjecture and guesswork.  As Christ said, no man will know the day nor the hour, and anyone who comes saying they know the day and hour is a false prophet, and is to be shunned.  There's also the possibility we could all be dead wrong, and Christ might not return until 100 years from now.  All we can say is the forecast looks favorable, the signs appear to be in place, and it will happen when God is good and ready, not one moment beforehand and not one moment after.

There would also be people who mock  the return of Christ, as stated in 2 Peter chapter 3, verses 3 and 4:

"Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as [they were] from the beginning of the creation."

Unfortunately, people like this character in the video make it very easy for people to scoff, and thereby fulfill 2 Peter 3 and 4.  Also, he's dead wrong about his lecturing regarding the Law.  You do not get to heaven by keeping the Law.  It is impossible to do.  The entire foundation of Christianity is upon the truth that man cannot keep ANY Law that God might give him, and that Christ's sacrifice was for the purpose of redemption for the shortcomings of fallen creatures - to fulfill the law and pay the penalty in the place of man.  If people could keep the Law then Christianity is pointless.  Everything this man has said is based in ignorance.  Perhaps he should be more familiar with Proverbs 15:2 that states:

"The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright:  but the mouths of fools poureth out foolishness."

Or in modern terms, if you don't know what you're talking about then

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2006-09-12, 22:26 »

Additionally, leaving aside what endaevour is meant, it is quite safe to assume noone is poking fun at God.

In Hobbes' words (Lev. book 1, chapter 7, my font-bold)
[..] we may inferre, that when wee believe any saying whatsoever it be, to be true, from arguments taken, not from the thing it selfe, or from the principles of naturall Reason, but from the Authority, and good opinion wee have, of him that hath sayd it; then is the speaker, or person we believe in, or trust in, and whose word we take, the object of our Faith; and the Honour done in Believing, is done to him onely. [..]

[..] if I should not believe all that is written By Historians, of the glorious acts of Alexander, or Caesar; I do not think the Ghost of Alexander, or Caesar, had any just cause to be offended; or any body else, but the Historian. If Livy say the Gods made once a Cow speak, and we believe it not; wee distrust not God therein, but Livy.
« Last Edit: 2006-09-12, 22:26 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2006-09-13, 01:26 »

So in plain english, it's the guy in the video you're poking fun at, and only the guy in the video, and nobody should read any more into it than that.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #6 on: 2006-09-13, 08:16 »

Im sorry. Im having a bad today...  Slipgate - Sad

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #7 on: 2006-09-13, 08:59 »

Atomic war has always been an option, so I can't understand how this man can state such a stupid thing. There probably were fools back at Vietnam just like that guy in the video,  that used the Bible as an excuse to state such things. The sad thing here is that some people believe in this crap.

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #8 on: 2006-09-13, 18:21 »

Happy September 13th, 2006.

Beer? I'm down.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #9 on: 2006-09-14, 00:07 »

Sorry I'm late. Did I miss anything?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #10 on: 2006-09-14, 08:47 »

Happy September 14th, 2006.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: