2024-03-28, 23:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Its official (I have no Gen skills!!!!)  (Read 10467 times)
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« on: 2006-10-25, 01:32 »

Loaded up, for the first time in a long long time, and guess what... I suck worse then ever, I know I wasnt that great, but at least I could hit some things, I couldnt even hit bots today!
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #1 on: 2006-10-25, 05:50 »

*laugh*

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2006-10-25, 16:02 »

Practice, Lil.  Practice.  You've not played Gen in what, over a year because your system was on the fritz?  You can't just expect to pick it up again on the first day.  Take Washu here for an example.  He's got some pretty good skills with the Arena class, but he still gets his ass handed to him with the others.  Why?  He's been playing a lot of Q4, which is more similar to Arena than the other classes.  His Q4 practice benefitted his playing when using Arena.  His lack of playing with the other classes shows.

My skills have deteriorated from lack of playing as well, as I couldn't hit the broad side of a battleship with the railgun on Saturday.  Far contrast from when I was playing regular games several times a week, and I was nigh undefeatable.

So don't be so hard on yourself.  Just pick that railgun back up, dust off the rocket boxes, and give those shotguns a good oiling.  You'll pick it back up so long as you don't get discouraged.
 Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #3 on: 2006-10-25, 21:16 »

Could just always be like me... mediocre at best when it comes to anything DM related, whether I play a lot or not (this includes basic CTF). Load up TF and toss me in there as a HWGuy and I'll rip em all up tho. Slipgate - Smile

And in reality.. I prefer it that way.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #4 on: 2006-10-25, 21:46 »

hey it happens to us all i used to be par excellence on quake 1

and after the move to quake 2 i could never hit anything

which is why i love gen, it brings back happy memories of slippy supremecy

but all gamers L33t or Noob go through a period where there skills deterorate to almost useless.

and the longer you have gone from playing that game, generally the worse your skills will have become.

and always remember

somethings in life are bad
they can really make you mad
otherthings just make you swear and curse
when your chewing on lifes grizzle, dan't grumble, give a whistle
and this'll help things turn out for the best

and

always look on the bright side of life
always look on the right side of life
if life seems jolly rotten, there something you've forgotton
and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing

when your feelling in the dumps
dan't be silly chumps
just purt your lips and whistle that's the thing

and

come on (sing along if you know the works, which incedentaly even if you don't are written here)

for life is quite absurd
and deaths the final word
you must always face the curtain with a bow
forget about your sin give the audience a grin
enjoy it it's your last chance of the house

so

always look on the bright side of death
a just before you draw your terminal breath

cause life's a piece of S*** when you look at it
life's a lark and death's a joke it's true
you'll see it's all a show, people laughing as you go
just remember that the last laugh is on you

and always look on the bright side of life
always look on the light side of life

come on spawn cheer up

Always look on the bright side of life

Always look on the bright side of life

LOL

could resist to stick a monty python tune in  Slipgate - Laugh
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #5 on: 2006-10-26, 07:00 »

I really don't care for DM much anymore. I perfer a good duel myself.

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #6 on: 2006-10-26, 14:18 »

Quote from: Lordbane2110
But all gamers L33t or Noob go through a period where there skills deterorate to almost useless.
This is true. I hadn't played Natural Selection for a year, and a month ago, I discovered that all of my skills had vanished. Quite drastic, especially when playing as Alien.
Don't worry, Lilaz, I haven't played Gen in 4 months, so I must suck as bad as you.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2006-10-26, 14:19 »

Well Washu has seen the light! I prefer duels too, so if you're up for some Gen dueling, I'm game. Ofcourse, picking the right time would be the hardest part... :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2006-10-26, 18:22 »

I don't mind duels myself, just so long as they don't turn into a pissing contest.  I actually play Rocket Arena 2 better in the smaller 1 vs 1 arenas than I do the big pickup games, where I get sniped and shot in the back constantly.

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #9 on: 2006-10-26, 18:22 »

Alright awsome!
I think that gen should implement some more cpma/q4max elements for more competeive players like myself though, making duels seem less floaty. And perhaps there could be a RA/Clan Arena mode as well.
« Last Edit: 2006-10-26, 18:24 by Little Washu » Logged

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #10 on: 2006-10-26, 18:55 »

yeah that would be nice

kinda like making Gen the Mother of all Mods
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #11 on: 2006-10-26, 19:51 »

Quote from: Lordbane2110
yeah that would be nice

kinda like making Gen the Mother of all Mods
It already is Slipgate - Wink

I've been playing a lot of smaller 1v1 maps myself recently, to the point where I'm actually hunting out 1024^1024 levels for use in Gen. Found a few gems, too.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2006-10-27, 01:38 »

Tourney mode exists, which is sufficient for all RA-like gaming that Genners might want to do (a fully fledged RA-modification would seem a bit redundant for those 4 players interested in using it). And for any other purpose, a custom made duel maplist will work fine, too.

Dueling works best if both players are willing to play the same kind of game. If one wants to play FFA with only two players on the map, and the other wants to battle it out on item control, it's hardly going to be enjoying for either or both of the players. Otherwise, you can get pretty tight fights in good maps.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2006-10-27, 08:18 »

DMflags and Genflags can have a great effect on tourney mode play.  There's a few gameplay modes I'd like to throw in, but nothing so radical that makes Gen depart away from what it is.  Let me be clear:  I do not want to turn Gen into another mod.  Copying CPMA, first of all, would be against the purpose of our project.  Second, it's infringing into someone else's mod territory.  That's kind of a grey area for us considering the nature of our project, but it's one thing to just add in, say, multiple arena support.  It's something else to copy someone else's physics and weapon behaviors.  Third, unless Arqon released his source it would be impossible to do.  I have absolutely no desire to make Gen into CPMA or copy CPMA's gameplay style.  Gen is about trying to match the gameplay of the original Id games as reasonably as we can.

Now that being said, I am flexible on some feature requests as long as 1)  I am convinced they will add to Gen's overall gameplay and 2)  They are not a bitch to implement.  They also have to be specific.  Examples would be adding stuff like a 1-flag mode, or instagib mode, or balance tweaks in various areas, or suggestions on how to improve the interface between player and game.  If there are specific gripes or things someone thinks might enhance Gen, well, that's what the feedback thread is for.
Slipgate - Wink

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #14 on: 2006-10-27, 18:05 »

Duels are screwed, but they are the best way to determine the mightiest of players!
As for suggestions, I have none.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2006-10-27, 20:41 »

Well I wouldn't say that.  Duels just determine who's better at dueling.  You can have a player who is unstoppable in duels get their tail handed to them in CTF or FFA or TDM, and someone who's better at FFA or CTF or TDM suck horribly in a duel.  It's not always the case, but I've seen it happen enough times playing Rocket Arena.
« Last Edit: 2006-10-27, 20:41 by Phoenix » Logged

Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #16 on: 2006-10-27, 22:43 »

Quote from: Phoenix
...and someone who's better at FFA or CTF or TDM suck horribly in a duel.
Sadly that's how I am...not to mention that I hate duels. I would prefer a small to medium FFA or a CTF game. The former I can sometimes be hard to kill in if the map's large enough because I usually try to back off from large fights (Which I stink at), AND I can yoink all the goodies while the others are distracted. As for the latter..unless it's against bots I stay inside my team's base defending the flag. I never was good at offense, and if the game's crowded than I can find myself easily overwhelmed while watching over the rag on a stick unless it was in a map like q3ctf1. Slipgate - Shifty
« Last Edit: 2006-10-27, 22:44 by IceDragonVisy » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2006-10-28, 04:11 »

Q3CTF1 is a map I absolutely love playing defense on as Earth.  If you do it right it's damned near impossible for someone to take your flag.  Everything you need, sans Mortar, is in your base and close by, and usually you can pry a rocket launcher off one of the invading flag runners.

Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #18 on: 2006-10-29, 19:34 »

true true, team dm or ctf would be nice if we ever managed decent teams
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #19 on: 2006-11-02, 23:22 »

Man I'd hate to see how I'd fair...haven't really been on this scene in a while myself. My Q3 has been acting up as of late and I've all but gave up on it myself. Going for a full reinstal and hopefully it'll work right so I can get back into it.  Slipgate - Smile

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: