2024-03-28, 14:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Addon for CTF  (Read 6640 times)
Lordbane2110

Chton

« on: 2006-11-05, 02:51 »

I was just thinking.. You know how most of the time we don't do CTF anymore?
I thought why not spice CTF up a bit. Then it hit me. What CTF types generally do people still play? Team Fortress, Weapons Factory and so on, which tend to be class themed CTF. So what if there was a Gen Themed version of Team Fortress?  Slipgate - Laugh

It could be both Class and Gen based for example, if you did it like Enemy Territory for Wolfenstein. For Earth you could have:

Scout / Recon  ( Maybe a Skin for Mynx)
Sniper                (possibly Hossman in fatigues
Engineer
Medic
Soldier               (reskin Sarge Perhaps)

For Doom ideally basing the classes on doom type weaponry:

Light Marine  (Replacement for Scout)
Klesk / Imp    (could be a Sniper Replacement)
Engineer         (could have weaponary based on plasma / brg tech)
Medic               (no idea for this one)
Doom Marine  ( easily replaces Soldier)

Slippy:

Grunt    ( for recon)
Enforcer ( Engineer Perhaps)
Nailer   ( instead of a sniper)
Medic   ( recolour of wrack perhaps)
Ranger  ( as the Soldier)

Strogg is easy cause you could take ideas from quake wars  Slipgate - Wink  (See Quake wars)

Arena: (well arena already has a kinda class system considering it's weaponry.)

I just thought i'd share this idea see what you guys think, cause i think it would be cool to have a Gen themed Fortress type game  Slipgate - Smile

Edited by Tab to remove double spacing, etc.
« Last Edit: 2006-11-05, 10:35 by Tabun » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-11-05, 03:15 »

Gen's class-based nature typically makes certain classes gravitate toward certain roles in a CTF scenario.  Some classes are better at flag running (Doom), some better at defending (Earth), and some better in all-around roles.  This varies from map to map, and any class can take any role, but usually they tend to fall into a pattern.  Making a Fortress-style gameplay mode would be tedious and very difficult because Team Fortress has a specific style of play, and its own specific classes.

Besides that, do we really need another version of Team Fortress?  Q3F is Team Fortress for Q3, and I can find exactly one Q3F server on the net right now.  Same with Weapons Factory.  I think, unfortunately, most Q3 players have either moved on to other games, or gotten too concerned with other things in life to play Q3 a lot anymore, so naturally Q3 mods get played less as well.

That's not to say Gen's CTF modes can't be made spicey.  You know how Team Arena has those persistent powerups, and a lot of CTF maps have those little spawn points for Threewave's techs?  Part of my plan is to allow Threewave CTF tech spawns and Team Arena tech spawns to work with Gen, and spawning in a set of techs for each team.  Red team will have its techs, blue team will have its techs, so you don't have situations where one team stacks up all the techs and wins because they have all the powerups.  Classic tech spawning will still be an option, but this will be an option too and I think a welcome one.  Combine these options with the grapple option and you can have anything from Q3A standard CTF to Quakeworld-style play to Team-Arena style play to anything inbetween.  I think this will give players enough options for flag grabbage.  Between choosing your class, and grabbing a tech, whatever playing style suits you (and your team) is there for you, without the weapons restrictions inherent in Fortress-style games.  Throw in the gameplay modes we intend to add - one flag, and perhaps a few others - and I don't think players will be hurting for options.
Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2006-11-05, 06:47 »

The Q3F team pretty much abandoned the mod and went on to better things.. considering they became Splash Damage. So.. Q3F was picked up by others to continue developement and became ETF. And that was questionable in my mind.. because finding a TF niche in ET seemed like a longshot to me. Probably would have been better to keep it on Q3.

As for GenTF (just a random name I'm giving the idea)... that's like making a mod for a mod. Doesn't seem logical to me since it would divide the Gen players. Those who prefer the GenTF idea, and those who prefer classic CTF with the already present Gen classes.
« Last Edit: 2006-11-05, 17:19 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #3 on: 2006-11-05, 14:09 »

no problem just an idea i had floating around  Thumbs up!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2006-11-05, 15:25 »

Wouldn't it have been cool if we had thousands of Generations players? Then something like that would probably have been neat.. ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2006-11-05, 19:41 »

Yes... players would be good.  Then we could have more CTF matches.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #6 on: 2006-11-05, 21:31 »

mmmm ... team arena .....

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #7 on: 2006-11-10, 15:37 »

if your going to add more CTF Modes

will you be adding Harvester and Overload from Team Arena

as i love Harvester
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2006-11-10, 18:31 »

Not sure exactly, I won't know until I go to add in the gameplay modes since I don't know what I may have broken with Team Arena-related stuff and what parts of it will be unfixable and what stuff I might be able to re-enable.  I make no promises, but of course I'll do what I can.  Slipgate - Wink

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2006-12-12, 17:39 »

harvester and overload are fun. 1 flag ctf is also OK.

love to play those mods in generations arena.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: