2024-03-29, 08:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite Play Mode (No, I don't mean FFA vs CTF...)  (Read 5360 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2007-07-05, 20:31 »

I've been giving some thought as to how games measure progress as you advance through them.  Every game seems to have a different mode.  Doom/Quake/Quake 2 and games based on them usually had some kind of between-level stats on how many monsters you killed, items found, etc, whereas some newer games are either objective-based or you just make it to the next level alive and that's pretty much it.  So what do you prefer?  Personally I like finding all the secrets and being told I did.
« Last Edit: 2007-07-09, 17:03 by Tabun » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #1 on: 2007-07-05, 22:37 »

I like being informed about kills, secrets and items, but I'm don't have patience to search for all those secrets.
Mission objectives in some way too.
Narrative connection reminds me of Max Payne, and it can get me realy inside of story game.
And roaming free is nice if there will be something interesting to do.

So I cant pick only one.
Sucutrule

Tank Commander

KETEZEIT PEW PEW

« Reply #2 on: 2007-07-06, 00:58 »

NON STOP ACTION!!! Slipgate - Laugh

How I am supposed to type will all this cheese laying around?
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #3 on: 2007-07-06, 01:27 »

I like objectives (outside of fetch & carry or *ugh* playing body guard to an inept retard) but I also like being able to roam around and find secret stuff the programmers throw in...

Ah hell I like all the options, except maybe stats when I can't find stuff/enemies
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #4 on: 2007-07-06, 02:48 »

I'm not really a buff about finding secrets and such. I prefer getting 100% kills.. tho doing so, in some cases, requires finding a secret or three. Finding secrets is an added bonus to me.. it's the kills that make the level feel complete.

NO SURVIVORS! Muahahahahahahaha Big Gun

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2007-07-06, 07:02 »

As i feel the fps games today has been way to much complex and more leaning towards telling stories more than raw action i prefer like it was in doom/quake, kill loads of enemies have abit story, find some cool items in a place you least suspect..
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #6 on: 2007-07-14, 04:17 »

End of level stats for me, though I'm up for some mission-based stuff too, provided there's a balance. Games like Q2 nailed that down, but these days it's all a bit stop-start.

One thing missing from many shooters these days is pure run'n'gun action, something I'm a big fan of. Tactical squad-based shooters do my head in. I prefer to work alone, thank you.
« Last Edit: 2007-07-14, 04:21 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: