2024-04-19, 02:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Cistern (Quake's DM5)  (Read 21672 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2007-09-27, 03:49 »

The Egyptian textures are probably Sock's.  They've been used on a lot of maps, including devsever.  It's one of my favorite texture sets but I agree that industrial-gothic would work better here.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #21 on: 2009-09-17, 12:23 »

I apologize for resurrecting this dead topic, but hey.. I felt I had to.

I feel my version of The Cistern is ready for testing. You can download it here:
q1dm5v2-beta1
(I apologize for having to use one of these 'free' things, but it's really all that's available to me)

Let's see.. issues I know about. The arches filled with skulls along the wall, the texture of the arch, the bit that curves, doesn't match the rest of the wall. That leads me to a question... how do you rotate the texture of an arch? The surface inspector doesn't do anything.

Bots act like bots. They do things, but it's sporadic and inconsistent.

The flooring underwater. You know.. I'm unsure. I was hard pressed to come up with a good floor, and I really don't know why I went with what I did. In fact, that whole underwater area left me a bit stumped.

Anyway, if anything jumps out at you visually or with how the map plays.. let me know. Other critiques are welcome, but keep in mind that the map is simply designed.. pretty much by choice, because I'm really not a top of the line mapper.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2009-09-17, 17:45 »

curve manipulation is done via the curve surface tool (Shift+S), not the normal brush surface window (S).
You can also use Ctrl+Shift+N to cycle capping of the texture, which can be useful. Finally, you can place or shape a curve in such a way that the texture can look right, then bend it into shape, and the texture will stick to the surface of the patch -- I've used that trick to prevent stretching on my ceiling.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #23 on: 2009-09-21, 07:02 »

Welp.. I'm gonna go ahead and call this done. I fixed those mini-arches as much as I was willing to, and I also fixed a small HOM in the underwater area that I found.

Other than that, everything's virtually the same as it was before. Some were curious to see me take on another 'classic' map.. and this is the result. Enjoy.

q1dm5v2
(again, I apologize for using a 'free' thing.. but I felt skydrive as being the most tolerable)

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2009-09-21, 10:05 »

Oh. I had hoped to get some time to give comments sooner, and now I'm too late it seems. Been away from home all weekend, so I'd planned to tackle it today or tomorrow. Oh well, you weren't that keen on my input, so I take it that's no serious problem. I'll download the new version now.

I do have one suggestion: you might rename the map from the generic q1dm5 to something that shows it's your map (like the way I prepend most of my work with "tab"). That seems the way to go to keep things neat and easy to find.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2009-09-22, 00:39 »

Sorry for the late reply.  I was working on hardware on this machine, and I could not download the map for some reason on my backup computer.

I just had a run of the map.  It's definitely larger than the original, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  It is nice to play Q1DM5 in Gen.  It's not the most famous Q1 dm map, but like most early dm maps, the fun is in the lopsided nature of the gameplay.  Surprisingly the bots did fairly decent at maneuvering, even pushing the button and going into the health room.  Grunt even got the invuln once.  The only downside with bots is they always tend to congregate somewhere on a map.  It's not always the same place, but you usually find bots either clumped together or just spawning.  On the upside, where they clustered changed a bit.  It wasn't a matter of always going to the MH door or always going to the armor spawn.  I had to look for them a bit, which is a plus.

The only texture I don't care for is the border texture on the walls running near the ceiling.  It gives a white line that goes all the way around the top of the level.  Just a personal gripe.  Regarding the pillars vs pipes... I played around on the original map, and the metalwork near the armor looks like support pillars to me as opposed to water pipes.  The columns don't seem out of place at all.  I couldn't do a bug check from the console as I've got a debug version of Generations.exe running which dumps out a lot more data that's not usually shown in the release version.

I also agree with Tab's suggestion.  You might rename it tmq1dm5v2 instead, tm for Thomas Mink.
  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #26 on: 2009-09-22, 03:50 »

The trim near the ceiling was changed many times, but the one used is the one that I felt looked the best out of all the ones I tried. I'm sure I missed at least a couple.

And I gave in and changed the name. I wasn't going to.. but, doing so also gave me a reason to want to fix the teleports.. which I was also going to let alone. If you shot a rocket at them, the teleport would absorb the rocket.. kinda like the sky. That was fixed. They now pass through as they should.

minkdm5

And yes.. I opted for the cheesier name, but for some reason it sounds better. To me anyway. Slipgate - Smile

EDIT: Bah.. forgot to edit the text file with the new name. URL removed for a couple minutes.
EDIT2: Fixed. URL restored.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-22, 03:59 by Thomas Mink » Logged

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #27 on: 2009-09-23, 03:05 »

There was another naming issue in the .arena file that I missed until now. Guess I just tried to get the rename out of the way as fast as possible instead of being careful about it. Oh well..

minkdm5 ..3rd time's a charm

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2009-09-23, 11:03 »

Hmm. Well, here are some comments from my end, anyway. Just ignore if unwelcome or too late. :]

Screenshots in this folder, numbers referenced [####] like so.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~zia/tmp/minkdm5/

[0000]
The teleporter texture looks blurry and is a bit simple. It would look much nicer if it was sharper and perhaps had more of a "starscape"-ish look. If you want, I can send you my slipgate teleporter shader, which is a three-layered combination of tcmod turb'd textures.

[0001]
All of these doorways are a bit too low for Q3. It can too easily happen that you bump your head in the frame while trying to jump through it. It also looks a bit simplistic -- but then it is almost an exact copy of the original's brushwork, so that should probably be no real problem.

[0002]
Step heights are a bit too large here, and with every other staircase in the map. It would look nicer (to me) if the steps would be about half as high as these (and it would play a bit smoother aswell).

[0003]
All of these wall-lights are unclipped. You can walk right through them. Usually they're high up enough for this to go unnoticed most of the time, but here between the pillars you can get ugly effects such as pictured here..

[0004]
This is a very low ceiling, allowing for hardly any jump at all. It's always been that way in Quake, but it bothered me and I had to work at it to get it a little roomier without breaking the design. One thing that you may consider is to embed the light brushes into the roof, rather than let them sit on its surface, so that at least they won't make it lower. If not, then they could at least be clipped (with angled brushes) so that you won't bump into them.

[0005]
These light fixtures look a bit too massive. There are quite a few of them, and they look a bit too heavy/blobby to make much sense. I also think the texture could be closer to the overall tone of the map (more brownish or reddish, perhaps).

[0006]
Water is nice (shader could perhaps use another layer for a more realistic wavey effect), especially the color looks good and murky. The floor, however, contrasts too much with that. It looks clean and shiny, whereas the water surface would suggest something tarnished and stained.

[0007]
I like the way you cut up the tiles here - a nice detail that the map could do with in more places, perhaps. What is odd to me here, is the placement of the GL and the health so close to eachother, especially since the GL is sitting neatly in the middle of the hole in the floor, while the health is off center.

[0008]
Looks a little weird to me, the way the light overlaps with the inset. Looks like it could work physically, so maybe not a problem at all.

[0009]
This texture (wooden underside) could be rotated to match the orientation of the brush. That'd make it look more natural.

[0010]
Why not build these insets with curves? You can get a really nice rounded arch (or half-arch) without having to worry about r_speeds at all in this map.

[0011]
I found this a little odd. The teleporter frame is very thick here, whereas the other teleporter is a bit thinner even than the originals in q1dm5. Looks to me like the two teleporters should be pretty much the same. Moving the teleporter a bit closer to the wall can also prevent people from sneaking behind it.

[0012]
The door texture is very Quaky. The contrast between it and the very smooth texture of the frame looks odd, however. In both color and grit, the difference between the textures makes it look unmatched, like a door was put in a place intended for a star-trek-type door.. ;]

[0013]
I like these kinds of details. The only thing that detracts from the attempt, is that all the tiles are still "on the grid". If one or two would be shifted a fraction and rotated, it would look more realistically like a bunch of tiles loosely sitting on the ground.

[0014]
This, like the area between the RA-room and the GL-area, is very low. Jumping into it happens almost every time you try to make speed. With this scale, I don't see how it could be fixed without make serious alterations to the design, however.

[0015]
Finally, these pillars look very massive. They look like they need to support a huge weight, but nothing else in the design suggests that there is something to be supported. Looks a little odd to me. If you don't expect the map to make any sense (and as a cistern, the original made little to no sense, anyway) that's not really a problem.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #29 on: 2009-09-23, 22:54 »

If your input wasn't as detailed as it turned out to be, I'd have probably said it was too late. But that was some great feedback, so some changes will be made.

0000 - The teleport texture and shader was ripped straight from my q1dm4v2 map and plugged in here.. yet somehow the shader acted more like a sky, who knows. I considered trying to make another with basic q3 effects, but decided to take the lazy route instead. I could see how your shader looks, but I wouldn't want to steal any flair from your version of the map.

0001 - I'll change most of the doorways, but not all of them. Probably just me being a bit more 'purist' than I need to be.. but I remember that happening with some of them in the original map.

0002 - The steps probably won't get changed. At one time, I was thinking about making them smaller.. but the large and bulky look grew on me over time.

0003 - Not clipping the lamps was a personal choice from the start, even though I knew it was somewhat odd. I didn't want them to feel like a hindrance along the walls.. so I left them unclipped. I'll try clipping some of them and see how it plays out before clipping them all.

0004 - The low ceilings were a choice of mine to keep. I didn't want to make them too high, so as to keep the claustrophobic feel of the area. I will embed the lights into the roof though.

0005 - I'll make the fixtures smaller, but with how far I've went with having them there.. I guess it's kind of set that they will be there in one way or other.

0006 - The water is from the Quake Retexturing Project. I have another layer added, but it doesn't seem to show up too well. I'll mess with the shader a bit and see if I can get it right. The floor, I was iffy about anyway.. so I'll look into changing that.

0007 - The GL and health there were always close to each other. I actually have them more spread out than they were in the original map. Slipgate - Smile

0008 - It looked weird to me as well, but like you said.. it also seemed like it was able to work. So I left it alone.

0009 - Something I probably should have done to begin with. Was overlooked.

0010 - They were originally built with curves, but they really weren't all that curved in game.. at least to me. They way I rebuilt them is pretty much how they looked in the map when they were curves.. only now they're not curves. I rebuilt them manually to get better texturing results.

0011 - Agreed. Will be done.

0012 -  The door was put in place of a more 'high tech' looking door. That is, a default q3 door texture. I'll see what I can do about the frame.

0013 - I'll shift the separated tiles around and see how it looks. Felt a little odd to me as well, but looked nice.. so I let it go.

0014 - This is the area where I originally decided on how cramped I wanted those two areas (since I started in the MH room and worked from there). I may have made it a bit too cramped, but it seemed to work for me.

0015 - The pillars are big, and I agree.. but they didn't make much sense in the original map either. Then again, they weren't as massive. When I was still trying to go with the 'pipe dream'.. there was to be a huge tank of water up on top of that ceiling to make more sense out of them (then again, a huge tank of water up there would eliminate the need for a cistern, but whatever). But.. I dunno. In their transformation from pipes, all I did was retexture them and replace the extra 'attatchment' cylinders with the skull trim blocks. I could shrink them down a tad and see how it looks.

As for the bots.. the only thing that annoys me is when they clump under water. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind taking a swim.. but on the Cistern, I dunno.. I prefer fighting on the dry bits. Discharging to kill 3 or 4 bots is amusing though.. with or without the invuln. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2009-09-23, 23:00 by Thomas Mink » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #30 on: 2009-09-24, 00:51 »

If your input wasn't as detailed as it turned out to be, I'd have probably said it was too late. But that was some great feedback, so some changes will be made.

No pressure intended. I did try to avoid useless feedback, keeping it within bounds of your goals/limitations for the map.

0000 - The teleport texture and shader was ripped straight from my q1dm4v2 map and plugged in here.. yet somehow the shader acted more like a sky, who knows. I considered trying to make another with basic q3 effects, but decided to take the lazy route instead. I could see how your shader looks, but I wouldn't want to steal any flair from your version of the map.

Here you go: tmp_minkdm5.zip.
Should be easy enough to install and look at. No worries about "stealing" of any kind -- I wrote this myself and it's free for anyone to use or edit. That includes this map, no worries about "sharing the flair".

0003 - Not clipping the lamps was a personal choice from the start, even though I knew it was somewhat odd. I didn't want them to feel like a hindrance along the walls.. so I left them unclipped. I'll try clipping some of them and see how it plays out before clipping them all.

I only mind them not being clipped in places where it results in the stuff that you see in the screenshot.. Slipgate - Smile

0004 - The low ceilings were a choice of mine to keep. I didn't want to make them too high, so as to keep the claustrophobic feel of the area. I will embed the lights into the roof though.

As long as you can accept potential annoyance with jumping, it should be ok. One other downside is that most models will have their heads clip the ceiling in such areas. No effect on gameplay, but that will look odd/ugly -- but can't be helped.

0006 - The water is from the Quake Retexturing Project. I have another layer added, but it doesn't seem to show up too well. I'll mess with the shader a bit and see if I can get it right. The floor, I was iffy about anyway.. so I'll look into changing that.

You can always try adding some layers from id's water shaders to add nice ripples and such. I'd only take the time if you don't actually hate toying with shaders, though..

0010 - They were originally built with curves, but they really weren't all that curved in game.. at least to me. They way I rebuilt them is pretty much how they looked in the map when they were curves.. only now they're not curves. I rebuilt them manually to get better texturing results.

Hmm. Texturing problems should play no part in the decision here -- it's fairly easy to make curves obey once you get to grips with them. I don't see how going purist on something like that works, but you've obviously thought it through. No problem then.

I haven't actually played the map (vs. bots) yet. So little time and I prefer tinkering over playing. Will probably give it a go soon. Though you're probably better served by Phoenix's insights when it comes to gameplay, anyway.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2009-09-24, 22:05 »

One note: that shader I zipped up there will absorb projectiles/weapon fire, so you'll have to adjust it the same way you did your own. Still need to fix that myself Slipgate - Smile

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #32 on: 2009-09-25, 01:59 »

Thanks for the heads up on that. I was too mesmerized by watching the shader each time, that I forgot to actually test it. Slipgate - Wink

Anyway, I updated the map.. mostly small, minute changes that were suggested. Water, teleports, pillars, a few texturing changes.. etc etc etc.

Get it here:
minkdm5

Yea.. sorry for using the same filenames. Guess I kinda pigeon-holed myself into that situation.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #33 on: 2009-09-26, 07:56 »

Wow i missed alot here it seems, i'll try to have your map a spin if i get sometime over... hopefully tomorrow! Slipgate - Smile

..and i rly need to finnish my own map -.-
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #34 on: 2009-10-01, 07:47 »

Not sure if I jumped the gun again here or not.. but, I felt that there was nothing else to change. That said, I sent the map along to LvL. So those who prefer getting it that way, instead of skydrive, can do so. It's currently on the map queue here as minkdm5.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: