2024-04-19, 20:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WEP Encryption Broken  (Read 4762 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2007-10-21, 20:05 »

"WEP as a security measure is so broken that your (and everyone else's) kid sister can easily circumvent it," said computer security researcher Ralf-Philipp Weinmann, co-author of the aircrack-ptw tool that can crack WEP in minutes.

Anyone caring about their privacy, said Mr Weinmann, should not use WEP to stop others using their wi-fi hotspot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7052223.stm

This is a "see, I told you so" moment from the bird.  I knew this would happen eventually.  If you're using Wi-Fi and using WEP I suggest switching to WPA-2.  Better yet, if you can, ditch the wireless and use hard lines only.  I know that's an inconvenience to many, but there's always a trade-off involved between convenience and security.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #1 on: 2007-10-22, 01:14 »

Hardwired is faster too!

I keep a wireless segment on my router for when I'm using my laptop, but it's highly secured. I don't think that WEP is quite as easy to break as this guy is trying to make it out to be, but the tools do exist to push most script-kitties through.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2007-10-22, 02:27 »

I agree, I don't think "anyone's kid sister" can break WEP, but I do think that if someone's in a college or urban setting that they're at greater risk of someone wardriving with a hack tool.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #3 on: 2007-10-22, 15:00 »

I've always been skeptical about the use of wireless stuff. Everything wireless is a pain in the ass, at least for now. Like those wireless mouses: they always run out of batteries in the most critical situations.
Cable's still the way to go!

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #4 on: 2007-10-22, 18:15 »

This is why I did research and have been using WPA from the start. I do not like wireless, but it's the only serious option in my home.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #5 on: 2007-10-30, 18:41 »

I'm sticking with my big 40-metre ethernet cable for now, thanks Slipgate - Wink

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: