2024-03-28, 23:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About the release of Gen...  (Read 8853 times)
Lunatic Guy

« on: 2003-08-16, 02:16 »

Hi guys, so finally another version of Gen is out... good work to all of you involved.

Am I supposed to download the hundred-something megabyte if I want all the map packs (1 and 2) together?

Thanks a lot.
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-16, 02:44 »

Erm... isn't that what it says?  Slipgate - Roll Eyes
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-08-16, 04:31 »

Yes.  The full installer .exe version (173 megs or so) includes Generations v 99c, mappack1 and mappack2, as well as the maps being used at the WHS QuakeCon tourney.  If you want "everything at once" that's the way to go.  The other formats are still there for convenience.  Not everyone can download a 170 meg file, so we still offer the mod and maps in separate installements.  The zip formats are also linux and mac friendly.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #3 on: 2003-08-16, 06:33 »

Ok... what about the "Custom model/skin support based on player class", and "Bots now auto-choose class based on model" then?

How do I use them?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2003-08-16, 06:41 »

Ok... what about the "Custom model/skin support based on player class", and "Bots now auto-choose class based on model" then?

How do I use them?

What "custom model/skin support based on class" means is that when you select a model, it is always a member of a certain class. For example, Ranger, and any skin that uses the ranger model, is always in the Slipgate class.

What "Bots now auto-choose class based on model" means is that if you enter a Ranger bot, it's always a slipgater. You do not have to type /addbot BOTNAME CLASS anymore. You only have to type /addbot BOTNAME.

And, as always, reading the manual can answer most questions.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-16, 06:44 »

Really simple.  To add a bot, just do this from the console:

/addbot botname skill

example:

/addbot ranger 3

Just like in Quake 3.  As far as which models you can pick, the readthisfirst.txt and Generations manual detail that.  The Generations manual has a list of which models work for each class under the class descriptions.  To switch models just do the following

FFA or Tourney:
/model whatever/skin

Team Deathmatch or CTF:
/team_model whatever

Note that for Team deathmatch and CTF you also need to change the head:
/team_model whatever

You can also change headmodels in FFA now:
/headmodel whatever/skin

We implemented a "convenience" command that sets all these at once.
/fmodel whatever/skin

Fmodel (for "full model") sets all the model strings at the same time so that you can just do /fmodel in team play and change your model/head without having to mess with the longer team string and set headmodels separately.  If you want to keep your teamplay model separate from your FFA model setting you'll have to do that manually of course.  Please check the readthisfirst.txt file, it details a LOT of information regarding how models work and what you can and cannot do.  It also explains our "model memory" feature, something that's really cool.  You'll see it in action after changing classes and changing models a few times.  Slipgate - Smile

finite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-08-16, 10:51 »

On a similar topic, should I keep a copy of all my old custom gen maps? Or will they be broken by the new version? Just wondering, seeing as we have to download the map packs again.
Arno

Cacodemon

« Reply #7 on: 2003-08-16, 11:04 »

Another question.
It's cool that there's a q3maps only server for people who want to take a quick peek at GenArena without downloading all the mappacks. But I still get kicked from that server because I'm missing q2skinz.pk3. What's up with that?  Doom - Huh?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-08-16, 13:31 »

You have automatic downloading enabled.  You need to disable that.  It's trying to grab some pk3's you don't have and don't need to play on my server.  Just disable autodownload and you can connect fine.

Finite:  No, if you've already downloaded the mappacks you do not need to re-download them.  You should be fine.

tornjaw

« Reply #9 on: 2003-08-16, 17:41 »

Quote from: Arno
But I still get kicked from that server because I'm missing q2skinz.pk3.
*poke*
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2003-08-16, 22:19 »

my god those skins are ugly ..
eehm i mean  .... oh crap there just ugly man

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2003-08-16, 23:19 »

Quote from: Phoenix
You have automatic downloading enabled.  You need to disable that.  It's trying to grab some pk3's you don't have and don't need to play on my server.  Just disable autodownload and you can connect fine.

Doesn't anybody READ what I said?  YOU DO NOT NEED THAT FILE!  I have other files - maps, etc - that are also on the server that you do not have.  Downloading that file will NOT solve the problem!  Disable AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADING and everything is ok.

Lunatic Guy

« Reply #12 on: 2003-08-17, 01:24 »

I can't seem to use any other skins...

What I mean is, when I choose Grunt/Stripe for testing, it is still only showing the default Grunt himself...???
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2003-08-17, 01:49 »

Does it show a circle/slash over his head?  If so the model is deferred.  Press "tab" and it will show fine.  Also check cg_forcemodel to make sure it's set to "0".  If the model is not deferring and forcemodle is "0", check your com_hunkmegs (should be set to 128 if possible, 96 minimum recommended) and make sure you don't have any leftover .pk3's that should no longer be in your generations folder.  Check the "FAQ" on the Bug Reports bulletin board as well as the troubleshooting.txt file for that list and other tips.  Lots of useful info there people.

tornjaw

« Reply #14 on: 2003-08-17, 06:11 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Doesn't anybody READ what I said?  YOU DO NOT NEED THAT FILE!  I have other files - maps, etc - that are also on the server that you do not have.  Downloading that file will NOT solve the problem!  Disable AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADING and everything is ok.
I'm aware. I was simply pointing him to said file.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2003-08-17, 09:28 »

set your model with the strogg_model commands
                                            doom_model
                                             earth_model
                                             slipgate_model
                                             arena_model

and to get stripe the command is strogg_model grunt/stripe
Arno

Cacodemon

« Reply #16 on: 2003-08-17, 23:21 »

Quote from: tornjaw
Thanks.
Although those skins are indeed of mediocre quality.

Phoenix, thanks for the tip. Please note that tornjaw wasn't suggesting that downloading the file solves everything. Downloading that file will just help me view the correct skins, so it was nice of him to provide a link.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2003-08-18, 04:44 »

Ahh, well yeah.  I really should clear some of those extraneous pk3's from my baseq3 folder.  Tornjaw:  wasn't trying to bite your head off or anything.  Sorry about that, just was interested in making sure everyone could connect ok.  I've not been feeling good of late, so pay me no heed there.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: